Tribute series receiving a price cut / nixing gig bag?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 am

Went to my local shop and the owner said the G&L rep told him they were losing a ton of money on gig bags so theyd be phasing them out, but as a result the tributes woul be $50-100 cheaper and they will be offering more color choices. Can anyone confirm this is a nationwide thing or just happenung at my local shop?

Re: Tribute series receiving a price cut / nixing gig bag?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:11 pm

thedarkstark wrote:Went to my local shop and the owner said the G&L rep told him they were losing a ton of money on gig bags so theyd be phasing them out, but as a result the tributes woul be $50-100 cheaper and they will be offering more color choices. Can anyone confirm this is a nationwide thing or just happenung at my local shop?

I will check with one of my contacts at G&L.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:23 pm

Craig wrote:
thedarkstark wrote:Went to my local shop and the owner said the G&L rep told him they were losing a ton of money on gig bags so theyd be phasing them out, but as a result the tributes woul be $50-100 cheaper and they will be offering more color choices. Can anyone confirm this is a nationwide thing or just happenung at my local shop?

I will check with one of my contacts at G&L.

Stay tuned.

Here is Dave McLaren's reply:

Hi Craig,

It's not true that we were losing a ton of money on the bags. We did think that
it was a better move not to include them, though. Just as importantly, the a lot
of the instruments are going to get way sexier. There will be a whole lot of changes
coming to the Tribute Series, and we'll have most of it live on the G&L site in a few days.

If you want to post a teaser, here's the new ASAT Classic in Butterscotch Blonde
over swamp ash, 1-ply black pickguard, maple neck with tinted gloss finish:

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/Tr ... 50-600.jpg

Thanks, Craig!

Dave

Here's the inline image:

Hope this helps.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks, Craig. We're scrambling to get everything live, but word travels fast lol.

So here's a couple of pages:

ASAT Classic

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/ASAT_Classic_new/

ASAT Special (note it's rocking mahogany and our old-school TSB finish)

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/ASAT_Special_new/

And the M-2000 / M-2500 made it to the T/S (finally got them to do a good Honeyburst!)

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/M-2000/index.asp

There's just so much sexy stuff going but this gives you an idea.

Dave

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Darth,

I really like the two Tribute ASAT's. The necks look good(especially the truss rod hole). I wish the US models still had the rounded hole instead of the flat front from the fretboard assembly...

Cheers,

Will

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Wow, you guys are great. Fast responses from people in the know, I love it.

Will definitely be picking up a Bluesboy when the new stock starts hitting the shelves.

:shock:

"She will be mine.... Oh yes. She will be mine!"

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:48 pm

:luv: :luv: :luv: for that butterscotch ASAT! I'm a sucker for tinted maple necks.

Lets hope Himilayan Blue, Belair Green or Vintage White sneak into the Tribute range somewhere too. The Tribbies are excellent guitars, so it's a fantastic idea to give them some sex appeal.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:41 pm

willross wrote:Darth,

I really like the two Tribute ASAT's. The necks look good(especially the truss rod hole). I wish the US models still had the rounded hole instead of the flat front from the fretboard assembly...

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will,

We changed the US ones to a nice, crisp circular hole, better than we've had in ages. My brother John resurrected the old Leo counter bore machine we used way back. He totally rebuilt it, machined some parts for it, and generally geeked out on it. I doubt it ever looked and worked as well as it does now. Gotta hand it to him.

Dave

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:45 pm

thedarkstark wrote:Wow, you guys are great. Fast responses from people in the know, I love it.

Will definitely be picking up a Bluesboy when the new stock starts hitting the shelves.

:shock:

"She will be mine.... Oh yes. She will be mine!"

You found the clear orange BBSH. I frickin love that guitar. I've been all over this project for some months and really excited about it. I think people are going to love these, and the prices are really good for such nice guitars. Hell, I've got at least half a dozen of the samples in my regular rotation now.

Dave

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Philby wrote::luv: :luv: :luv: for that butterscotch ASAT! I'm a sucker for tinted maple necks.

Lets hope Himilayan Blue, Belair Green or Vintage White sneak into the Tribute range somewhere too. The Tribbies are excellent guitars, so it's a fantastic idea to give them some sex appeal.

We've got a Vintage White S-500. The VW is a little extra on the aged coloring and I'm so digging it. What's more, this S-500 has a mahogany body to catch some of that classic Leo '80s mojo of the MFD/mahogany combo. I am so feeling this.

Check it out:

I'm also really digging the old-school TSB S-500 on mahogany:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:42 am

Wow Dave, They all look great !!
I love the old school touches , kudos to your brother for keeping Leo's machines
working...that sounds like a tedious and infinitely rewarding job.

To me the sexy curve on the Classic's headstock is like a fine line on a Corvette,
it's really nice to see on the newer models.

I'll be watching venues for them, thanks for the previews!!

Elwood

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:13 am

Darth Invader wrote:Hi Will,

We changed the US ones to a nice, crisp circular hole, better than we've had in ages. My brother John resurrected the old Leo counter bore machine we used way back. He totally rebuilt it, machined some parts for it, and generally geeked out on it. I doubt it ever looked and worked as well as it does now. Gotta hand it to him.

Dave

There we go! Bring back the round!!!! Can this be done to the 2012 Ed. Classic S when I order?

Cheers,

Will

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:57 am

So I noticed you guys are changing the humbucker on the bluesboy. How does it compare to the previous tribute model as well as the USA model?

Also can you tell me the differences from the USA and tribute model outside of where it was built? Like I know the neck radius is slightly larger (9 vs 7.5), you use a plastic nut instead of bone, and i guess the neck 1 piece instead of 2. Any other differences I should know about?

I love my USA Legacy, but I can't keep spending $1,200 on guitars left and right :P

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 pm

thedarkstark wrote:So I noticed you guys are changing the humbucker on the bluesboy. How does it compare to the previous tribute model as well as the USA model?

Also can you tell me the differences from the USA and tribute model outside of where it was built? Like I know the neck radius is slightly larger (9 vs 7.5), you use a plastic nut instead of bone, and i guess the neck 1 piece instead of 2. Any other differences I should know about?

I love my USA Legacy, but I can't keep spending $1,200 on guitars left and right :P

The bucker is the same on the T/S BB as it was before; I think we're articulating it better in the copy now. That time we put the Duncan Seth Lover in the T/S model was a fluke because we were so far behind on making pickups and we had to do what we had to do lol. Anyway, the bucker in the T/S is plenty nice, no excuses.

The neck radius on the USA BB is now 12" and the T/S is 9" but when it comes down to the radius gauge, this is very little. I'd call it a wash.

Plastic vs bone as you noted.

Our maple necks start as one piece then we slice the top off to put the truss rod in. The T/S isn't like that, but most of the time they do a good job of matching the fingerboard to the neck.

With the new look, finishes and logo art, it is almost frightening how good these are now. Almost. From the Fullerton shop you have loads of options, and everything is just that extra bit better. That said, I'm perfectly content playing any of these Tributes and so are all the guys here. We have to respect what they can do over there, and we'd better make sure we can keep doing better.

Dave

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Darth Invader wrote:
thedarkstark wrote:So I noticed you guys are changing the humbucker on the bluesboy. How does it compare to the previous tribute model as well as the USA model?

The bucker is the same on the T/S BB as it was before; I think we're articulating it better in the copy now. That time we put the Duncan Seth Lover in the T/S model was a fluke because we were so far behind on making pickups and we had to do what we had to do lol. Anyway, the bucker in the T/S is plenty nice, no excuses.

The neck radius on the USA BB is now 12" and the T/S is 9" but when it comes down to the radius gauge, this is very little. I'd call it a wash.

Plastic vs bone as you noted.

Our maple necks start as one piece then we slice the top off to put the truss rod in. The T/S isn't like that, but most of the time they do a good job of matching the fingerboard to the neck.

With the new look, finishes and logo art, it is almost frightening how good these are now. Almost. From the Fullerton shop you have loads of options, and everything is just that extra bit better. That said, I'm perfectly content playing any of these Tributes and so are all the guys here. We have to respect what they can do over there, and we'd better make sure we can keep doing better.

Dave

darth, do you think it's possible to include no pickguard as an option for the asat classics and specials? for the fullerton made ones of course, maybe another way to set them apart from the tributes. i have my bluesboy with no pickguard, and i think it is the only one. it looks so good, that option , at least on the premium transparent finishes would be so welcome.

here is a pic. it's inly this way because the body had to be replaced and john toner was willing to not put the pickguard on, he wanted you guys to see.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Darth Invader wrote:We're scrambling to get everything live, but word travels fast lol.
Dave

Hey Dave,

will the Tribute S-500 be available in blueburst again? I love that color. However, I just bought one, and it almost
looks black. It doesn't look like anything as on the pictures on glguitars.com. I have a hard time to convince myself
that it's actually "blue" ;)

Looks like I'm not the only one. Found the following pic on an ebay auction:

See what I mean? Is that a "bad batch" or is that expected?

Thanks
Andrej

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:36 pm

I see that Dave has updated the G&L website for the Tribute Series instruments:

2012 Tribute Series guitar specifications
2012 Tribute Series bass specifications

Check them out. :thumbup:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Craig wrote:I see that Dave has updated the G&L website for the Tribute Series instruments:

2012 Tribute Series guitar specifications
2012 Tribute Series bass specifications

Check them out. :thumbup:

Cannot WAIT!

Super excited for these things to show up at my local shop so I can get my hands on one.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:41 am

Dave, any idea of when shops should be getting these in?

The shop owner told me he wasn't sure but probably First week of July.

Do you have a better idea, or does that sound pretty accurate to you?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:00 am

Hello!!!

The new changes to the tribute line looks very good.

Can you tell if the T/S s500 and asat classic still made in Indonesia??

How about quality?? I have a s500 2007 tribute made in Indonesia and for me is a killer guitar....but if the new ones still have the same quality(or better) and the mohagony body...maybe I buy another one....

PD: the new butterscotch blonde asat classic look amazing too;)

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:32 pm

altoaragon wrote:Hello!!!

The new changes to the tribute line looks very good.

Can you tell if the T/S s500 and asat classic still made in Indonesia??

How about quality?? I have a s500 2007 tribute made in Indonesia and for me is a killer guitar....but if the new ones still have the same quality(or better) and the mohagony body...maybe I buy another one....

PD: the new butterscotch blonde asat classic look amazing too;)

Yes, they continue to be built in Indonesia. The one exception is the Tribute Rampage Jerry Cantrell which continues to be built in China.
AFAIK, the quality remains very high and the new finishes look great.

Also, see Serial number significance for determining country of origin via the serial number.

Hope this helps.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Craig, any idea when these things will be available?

The wait is killing me!

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:37 pm

thedarkstark wrote:Dave, any idea of when shops should be getting these in?

This sound pretty accurate based upon Dave's response to another post.

Hope this helps.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:53 pm

Craig wrote:

This sound pretty accurate based upon Dave's response to another post.

Hope this helps.

Yes that definitely helps, Thanks Craig!

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:54 am

Even though they're a great value and a solid guitar, I never thought I'd get pumped up about a Tribute. That appears to be changing based on this thread! A hog S-500? Butterscotch ASAT Classic? I'm definitely going to keep an eye out at my local dealer for one of these.

Nice work, Darth & Co!

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:02 pm

louis cyfer wrote:darth, do you think it's possible to include no pickguard as an option for the asat classics and specials? for the fullerton made ones of course, maybe another way to set them apart from the tributes. i have my bluesboy with no pickguard, and i think it is the only one. it looks so good, that option , at least on the premium transparent finishes would be so welcome.

here is a pic. it's inly this way because the body had to be replaced and john toner was willing to not put the pickguard on, he wanted you guys to see.
]

Hi Louis, that's not on the price list but sure, it can be done. It's just a matter of having the dealer note it on the order.

Dave

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:04 pm

Your dealer gave you good info. Our shipment coming in was delayed, but we received the first container yesterday. The crew are busy setting them up and they'll be starting to ship out to dealers today.

Dave

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Ches wrote:Even though they're a great value and a solid guitar, I never thought I'd get pumped up about a Tribute. That appears to be changing based on this thread! A hog S-500? Butterscotch ASAT Classic? I'm definitely going to keep an eye out at my local dealer for one of these.

Nice work, Darth & Co!

You know Ches, I agree. I mean, I've always appreciated the value and quality of the T/S models, but now I'm in love with them.

I personally geeked out on the ASAT Deluxe Carved top, the Ascari and Fiorano, but then I decided to really dig into everything else. I drove the factory guys over there crazy! The thing that took the longest, believe it or not, was carefully replicating the logo art from the US models. There are subtle differences in the CAD files to be accounted for, so it wasn't a scan and bam thing. I think some people here thought I was being too OCD over it, but my goal was to make these instruments fire up the synapses in my brain's gotta-have-it lobe.

I'm not done yet, not by a long shot. We've got some painfully cool things brewing for Spring.

Dave

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:40 am

Darth Invader wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:darth, do you think it's possible to include no pickguard as an option for the asat classics and specials? for the fullerton made ones of course, maybe another way to set them apart from the tributes. i have my bluesboy with no pickguard, and i think it is the only one. it looks so good, that option , at least on the premium transparent finishes would be so welcome.

]

Hi Louis, that's not on the price list but sure, it can be done. It's just a matter of having the dealer note it on the order.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Would this apply to the solid body ASAT Classic series or just the Semi-Hollow models?

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:19 am

Craig wrote:
Darth Invader wrote:

]

Dave

Hi Dave,

Would this apply to the solid body ASAT Classic series or just the Semi-Hollow models?

Yes. There's no diagonal cut for the wires on the solid-body either. Just confirmed with Steve.

Dave

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:54 pm

The 3 shops near me still didn't get anything in, whats going on? Over a week to ship from California to Illinois is ridiculous. I've had international shipments come in faster.

There's also nothing on ebay, or anywhere else for that matter.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:35 pm

That's kind of cool. But honestly, I don't care about more colors or about gig bags. What I care about is that the Tributes aren't nearly as good as they were when they were made in Korea. I wouldn't buy a new one, but I think the old ones are among the best guitars ever made for the money.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Its_Him_Again wrote:That's kind of cool. But honestly, I don't care about more colors or about gig bags. What I care about is that the Tributes aren't nearly as good as they were when they were made in Korea. I wouldn't buy a new one, but I think the old ones are among the best guitars ever made for the money.

Not sure where you got the impression that the Made In Korea Tributes are better than the Made In Indonesia. :confused0007:
It is just the opposite, see this post: Why the change in manufacturing location for the Tributes?

Hope this helps.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:40 am

Craig wrote:
Its_Him_Again wrote:That's kind of cool. But honestly, I don't care about more colors or about gig bags. What I care about is that the Tributes aren't nearly as good as they were when they were made in Korea. I wouldn't buy a new one, but I think the old ones are among the best guitars ever made for the money.

Not sure where you got the impression that the Made In Korea Tributes are better than the Made In Indonesia. :confused0007:
It is just the opposite, see this post: Why the change in manufacturing location for the Tributes?

Hope this helps.

I got the impression from playing them. I was very curious, so I tried them as soon as they were available. There will always be inconsistencies in outsourced guitars, and I still think they are a good value. But my impression was that they're not quite as good as they used to be. I don't want to piss anyone off or get into a debate, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm confused.... Did these things "ship out" from Fullerton, CA or from Indonesia (in which case they may not arrive for weeks)?

Losing patience....

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:02 am

thedarkstark wrote:I'm confused.... Did these things "ship out" from Fullerton, CA or from Indonesia (in which case they may not arrive for weeks)?

Losing patience....

from Darth's previous post:

Darth Invader wrote:

Your dealer gave you good info. Our shipment coming in was delayed, but we received the first container yesterday. The crew are busy setting them up and they'll be starting to ship out to dealers today.

Dave

The container comes from Indonesia to G&L in California. Note that Dave said "first" container, which means
more are on the way and a container does not necessarily contain all models of the new Tributes. I believe G&L ships the instruments that came in to the dealers who ordered first. Depending upon when your dealer ordered the 2012 Tributes,
they may or may not in the first container.

Which model Tribute did you order and which dealer did you order from?

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:10 am

Its_Him_Again wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

I got the impression from playing them. I was very curious, so I tried them as soon as they were available. There will always be inconsistencies in outsourced guitars, and I still think they are a good value. But my impression was that they're not quite as good as they used to be. I don't want to piss anyone off or get into a debate, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

While I don't what to get into a debate, can you elaborate about your impression.
What specifically in your opinion is not quite as good on the current Tributes?
Which models did you compare?

Thanks,

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Its_Him_Again wrote: I wouldn't buy a new one, but I think the old ones are among the best guitars ever made for the money.

I had an 2003-4 s-500 that wasn't a very good guitar...I am guilty of making the opposite generalization about
the old tributes. How many have you played IHA?

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Craig wrote:
Darth Invader wrote:

Dave

The container comes from Indonesia to G&L in California. Note that Dave said "first" container, which means
more are on the way and a container does not necessarily contain all models of the new Tributes. I believe G&L ships the instruments that came in to the dealers who ordered first. Depending upon when your dealer ordered the 2012 Tributes,
they may or may not in the first container.

Which model Tribute did you order and which dealer did you order from?

I was waiting on one of the clear orange one, but a used mint condition 2008 clear orange one became available (semi)-near me for $450 with a G&L Molded case, so I jumped on it.

I actually like this one better, I prefer the more natural maple neck.

I'll take some pictures later.

Thanks for your help though, Craig.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:54 am

thedarkstark wrote:
I was waiting on one of the clear orange one, but a used mint condition 2008 clear orange one became available (semi)-near me for $450 with a G&L Molded case, so I jumped on it.

I actually like this one better, I prefer the more natural maple neck.

Sounds nice..,congrats, I look forward to pics.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Pics as promised.

If you couldn't tell, I a big fan of the colors blue and orange :lol:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:22 am

I got one of the last blue burst s500s Tribute, and I love it! I also love the gig bag, although I understand he business decision. I notice on the new s500s, one has the chrome tele style knobs, and one has strat style. The only change I've made on my guitar is to switch out the tele style knobs for strat. This not for aesthetics, but for function. With the mfd pickups, I never run them wide open on volume (and usually not fullbass either), and it's really helpful to have the numbers as an instant reference. Of course you fine tune constantly, but it's nice to have some guess work taken out of it when you're at the gig.

Tis has probably been referenced, but here's a great blog post on dialing in the MFD pickups:
http://gtroblq.blogspot.com/2010/09/dia ... ystem.html

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 am

Hello again;)

i'm going to buy an asat tribute for Christmas( maybe the classic or maybe the bluesboy...i don't know) but i have a question about the body woods...

the solid colors are basswood( american basswood?) and the translucent are swamp ash.....What wood is best for the bodies?? What wood have more traditional tele sound??

and other question.....is true that g&l send the wood for the bodies and necks to indonesia before make the guitars??

I have a guitar with american basswood and sounds amazing but i played low cost guitars with asian basswood and i don't like the sound.....

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:05 am

altoaragon wrote:Hello again;)

i'm going to buy an asat tribute for Christmas( maybe the classic or maybe the bluesboy...i don't know) but i have a question about the body woods...

the solid colors are basswood( american basswood?) and the translucent are swamp ash.....What wood is best for the bodies?? What wood have more traditional tele sound??

and other question.....is true that g&l send the wood for the bodies and necks to indonesia before make the guitars??

I have a guitar with american basswood and sounds amazing but i played low cost guitars with asian basswood and i don't like the sound.....

i highly doubt that g&l would be shipping woods to asia. that would be cost prohibitive. i prefer ash, but basswood can make for a fine guitar.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:24 am

altoaragon wrote:Hello again;)

other question.....is true that g&l send the wood for the bodies and necks to indonesia before make the guitars??

Nope, the woods are sourced locally by the Tribute Series manufacturing facility.

Hope this helps.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Just found this post and am impressed with the new Tribbys.

Maybe I missed something (always possible and sometimes likely), but I'm not sure of the thinking behind selling any guitar without a case or gig bag. If the decision to drop the gig bag was not done for financial reasons (as implied above), I'm wondering on what basis this decision was made. Thanks! - ed

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:47 am

He didn't say it wasn't financial, just that they weren't losing money on the bags. They probably think that giving more colors/styles combined with the lower cost of entry will pull in more sales. I tend to agree. Many of the midrange and even some of the upper range guitars don't come with cases. I don't think too many people buying in the tribute range will walk over lack of case. Or maybe we will because we know what we're missing... I like my G&L case pretty well!