Can rusty pups etc. be cleaned?

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:44 pm

I've seen more than a few guitars on the web with rust on the pole pieces, switches/toggles, vibrato posts, etc. Can those parts be cleaned? If they are rusty, are the electronics' function/tone likely to be compromised---i.e., noisy or not working well? Does the copper wire inside a pickup get rusty?

Re: Can rusty pups etc. be cleaned?

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:14 pm

If control surfaces (switches, etc) or trim have surface rust that is not in contact with the strings, I doubt there could be any impact on tone. Rusty saddles could affect string vibration. Several of my early 80s instruments have light surface pitting. If anything, it helped bring them down into my price range.

My ASAT Classic has some light corrosion on the pole pieces. It does not seem to have any discernible effect on volume or tone. That is probably my warmest sounding G&L guitar, and also one of my loudest.

Copper does not rust, but the pickup mounting screws can. They are easy to replace though.

Ken

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Here's a good post if you decide to clean the pole pieces etc.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1867

I need to get one of these:

http://promotorcarproducts.com/sandingpen.htm/

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:09 pm

not an issue. just look at some of the bare knuckle relic'ed pickup sets. they rust the pole pieces pretty severely. rusty saddles can break your strings and effect the tone. rusty trem posts can be problematic. i would replace them if the rust is bad, and clean them and keep them clean if it's just starting. rust on the switches' contact surfaces is a big deal, keep those clean with contact spray. anywhere else it's called personality.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks for all your responses! That prep pen tool looks mighty useful.