2007 Comanche from eBay

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks to a PSA from desertrat07, I snagged a reasonably priced Comanche from eBay and have cleaned it up.

S/N CLF47557, 3-color sunburst alder body with a 2007 date, maple neck.

I replaced most of the screws since they were rusty. I think black screws look great with a black pickguard. I managed to scrape most of the rust off the bridge pickup polepieces. The bridge is still a mess, some of the saddles have grooves that are off center, and many of the screws are rusty and should be replaced. I'm trying to decide whether to order a saddle set now, or wait and get the DFS upgrade kit when or if it becomes available.

I am not sure what to make out of the neck. The neck joint has no date stamp, but there's "studio 6" in pencil and "Comanche TGN" in ink. The neck is huge, which is fine since I have big hands, but the neck profile doesn't seem to match any currently available option. Nut width is 1.670, 1st fret depth is .935, and 12th fret depth is 1.020. The shape is like a U, and the frets are tall and wide, true Jumbo size. The truss rod nut takes a 1/8" hex wrench which is odd since a 2007 guitar should have a 4 mm nut.

Re: 2007 Comanche from eBay

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Looking real nice, I didn't see the natural 'binding' edge in the auction pics.
The black screws are perfect (who woulda thought :D ). It's nice to see
a G&L that was being neglected brought back and ready to paint the town.

Congrats, and thanks for the updated pics...interesting about the neck dimensions.

Elwood

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:30 pm

It's looking good. I am amazed by what some owners can do to mess up a perfectly clean guitar in a couple of years. I'm glad to see this one reached good hands before anything worse happened!

Ken

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:42 pm

jakkanen wrote:I am not sure what to make out of the neck. The neck joint has no date stamp, but there's "studio 6" in pencil and "Comanche TGN" in ink. ...

The 'studio 6' refers to a model made around the same time as a Special Build instrument by the Custom Creations Department: the Comanche Studio VI

- Jos

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:42 pm

jakkanen wrote:Thanks to a PSA from desertrat07, I snagged a reasonably priced Comanche from eBay and have cleaned it up.

Glad you decided to grab that Comanche. They are such beautiful and unique sounding guitars in my opinion. One thing you may want to consider if you're getting new saddles is a DeTemple Titanium set. See my post here: http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=5396 Also, you forgot to mention WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE?