Neck finish comparisons

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:54 am

I saw an older 3-screw neck G&L legacy at a shop with a neck finish that I couldn't identify. It was VERY smooth, but I wouldn't call it glossy... More of a buffed coating without any of the woodgrain texture. Is this the "satin" finish that is standard on new G&Ls?

Also, having never seen the modern finishes in real life, how would you describe the gloss finishes?

Thanks!!!

Re: Neck finish comparisons

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Sounds like a satin finish neck that has been played to being almost glossy.

The gloss finishes on my G&Ls are glossy like the body finishes, if that helps. I like both. If I find a glossy neck to be sticky, I polish it with a couple coats of Virtuoso Cleaner followed by a couple of coats of Virtuoso Polish; and that usually fixes the problem. Worked wonders on my NCL finished Gibson necks.

Bill

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:01 pm

I agree with Boogie Bill

That's approximately what I do. Some portions of the satin neck get glossier with use; I use Meguiar's Scratch X and harmonize to an increased gloss everywhere on the satin neck finish. I take the tuners off, sometimes even the neck to accomplish this.

Dunno what is in that product. It works way too easy to be a purely abrasive process. Keep it off the rosewood or ebony. It polishes the frets on a maple board Comanche or ASAT Classic beautifully. Doing frets, the rag turns black so fast!!

Bubbanov

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:07 am

I agree that it's probably just well played in.
My Legacy was very glossy but now the back of the neck has a great satin patina that never get sticky.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:11 am

I agree...it's well played. I've got 3 guitars with satin necks. The Legacy, an MIM Strat and my Taylor acoustic. I've had the Taylor for about 9 years and the Strat for probably 7...used to be my main guitar before I could afford better. Both of those necks have glossed up from use, especially the Strat. While I like the way a new satin neck feels, what I really like is the way the satin necks gloss up after lots of playing...never gets sticky. IMHO, a satin neck that has glossed up is about as good as it gets.

My Legacy is actually my oldest guitar, built in 98, but it's previous owner didn't play it much so it hasn't glossed up that much, yet. But that's fine...I'm happy to do that myself!!