G&L Whippersnapper.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:05 am

I did a search for this product, but nothing came up, So, if this has been beat to death in the past, I'm sorry.

I saw the Whippersnapper at the G&L booth at NAMM a couple of years ago. What happened to this product? I'm in the market for a new amp and would like to check one of these out.

Re: G&L Whippersnapper.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:14 am

wrigman wrote:I did a search for this product, but nothing came up, So, if this has been beat to death in the past, I'm sorry.

I saw the Whippersnapper at the G&L booth at NAMM a couple of years ago. What happened to this product? I'm in the market for a new amp and would like to check one of these out.

My understanding is that this project is currently on hold. Also the name of amp has been changed to Spandra 112.
I don't have any other info on this. I will post any updates on this project when I get them.

Stay tuned.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks Craig!!!! I look forward to any updates.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Guitar Adoptions has a Whipper Snapper listed for sale:

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/g-l-whipper-snapper-amp.html

It doesn't say anything about it being a pre order.

Maybe you could call GA and ask them what's up?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:42 pm

"Available: April 2010"

I knew something was up with no eye candy in the ad. :evilgrin:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Good thing they changed the name. If they had used Young in front of the Wippersnapper I would of had to talk to them about using my name! -- Darwin

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:28 pm

I believe that they have some "old" ones in stock. I may pick up one before the name change; investment...

Cheers,

Will

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:28 pm

willross wrote:I believe that they have some "old" ones in stock. I may pick up one before the name change; investment...

Cheers,

Will

AFAIK, those two prototypes they showed at NAMM were the only ones built and they were not badged (no G&L logo nor Whippersnapper name).
It is possible that Paul might have had a couple more built but I did not see any in his office on my last visit there about a month ago, so I really
don't know.

Good luck finding one. :searching:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:16 pm

I recall one of these being on ebay last year. I remember it having "Whippersnapper" in a pretty cool font and the G&L logo on it, though I could well be mistaken.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:30 am

'Spandra'
Sorry to be honest, but not sure how much better this is compared to 'Whippersnapper'

Just my 10c worth...

Ledergeist&CO.
CreativeConsultants

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:00 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:I recall one of these being on ebay last year. I remember it having "Whippersnapper" in a pretty cool font and the G&L logo on it, though I could well be mistaken.

There's a youtube demo out there (sry work blocks youtube) I saw last night showing the panel for a sec.

I just google-fu'd "G&L Whippersnapper"

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks Craig.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:59 am

Legacy:
phpBB [video]

Asat Special:
phpBB [video]

The Whippersnapper makes the Special, Special.
Last edited by Craig on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed inline youtube posts

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:43 pm

GbL needs Wippersnapper logo'd t-shirts! or maybe with a logo similar to Craig's...
Might be a great fund raiser!
I'll buy a couple!
Linwood

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:05 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:I recall one of these being on ebay last year. I remember it having "Whippersnapper" in a pretty cool font and the G&L logo on it, though I could well be mistaken.

You are not mistaken. The name and G&L logo are on the control plate. I had forgotten about that until I looked at the photos we have in the Gallery for the 2010 NAMM show.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Ledergeist wrote:'Spandra'
Sorry to be honest, but not sure how much better this is compared to 'Whippersnapper'

Just my 10c worth...

Ledergeist&CO.
CreativeConsultants

There is a Leo Fender connection with this name. Here's what Dave said on the G&l Facebook page, regarding an inquiry about the Whippersnapper:

G&L Musical Instruments Jim, this project is still in gestation... yeah, I know. Meanwhile it had a name change to Spadra 112. Any old Fender fan
will know the street name Spadra in Fullerton. Paul is dying to finish setting up the production area but he's been deep in guitar and bass development. - Dave
July 20 at 10:03pm

Hope this helps.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:24 pm

jwebsmall wrote:Legacy: [youtube]KUUu25LZ9e4[/youtube]

Asat Special: [youtube]LlRsJPwKKYM[/youtube]

The Whippersnapper makes the Special, Special.

I recognize those videos. Dean Coy and I shot them at the 2010 NAMM show in the BBE/G&L booth.
I used to have them up on the Gallery page but they got removed when we had a database crash on the Gallery
and I never restored them after rebuilding the 2010 NAMM page. Unfortunately, I lost the name of the player. He
was just checking out the Legacy and ASAT Special and plugged in and started playing. So we taped him.

Amp, guitar and player all sounded really good. :thumbup:

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks Craig for redirecting me... Is there any update at all on these? This is almost a year old now and like what two years total? haha I am thinking if one were to come out it might kind of change my amp plans for the immediate future...

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 pm

padavis wrote:Thanks Craig for redirecting me... Is there any update at all on these? This is almost a year old now and like what two years total? haha I am thinking if one were to come out it might kind of change my amp plans for the immediate future...

Sorry, no update on this yet. When I get some time (which is hard to come by lately), I plan to contact
Paul on a bunch of stuff including the G&L amp.

Continue to stay tuned. ;)

:ugeek:

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:52 pm

I was there when that video was being shot as well. LOVED the sound of the amp(although didn't think much of the player) and was looking forward to seeing them in the shops. Sorry this has been put on hold. Bought a Samamp VAC 23. Love that little amp. :thumbup:

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:19 pm

was this a G&L production or partnered with someone?

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 pm

jeffmarshall67 wrote:was this a G&L production or partnered with someone?

It was designed and built by Paul Gagon and was (is to be?) a G&L production. AFAIK, it is
currently on hold.

If and when it goes into production, I will definitely post about it.

:ugeek: