Jake Blade/Legacy

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Just got this today:

http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m538/desertrat07/Jake%20Blade/?action=view&current=Picture3.jpg

It's a "Jake Blade" whammy. Available from the Umphrey's McGee website, this thing is a whole lotta fun. I find myself playing it almost like a percussion instrument. It's very comfortable and definitely has a different vibe than a traditional bar (which I can only begrudgingly get used to using). The best part is that my hand is in PERFECT position to fiddle with the selector switch and knobs when my hand is on the Blade. They are made only for G&L and PRS guitars. The G&L model will fit pre-2004 or 2005 DF bridges, which have a slightly larger hole. I had to take mine down a bit to fit my 2008. Very well made, comes in a box personally signed by Jake, a little pricey, but the guy who hand makes them has his phone # on the website and he is very friendly - offered to make me another one that will fit the 2010 Legacy I have on the way.

And, if you don't know who "Jake" is, he's Jake Cinninger, hotshot G&L guitar player from the band Umphrey's McGee. Check him out on an S-500 Deluxe:

[youtube]LJnTs02BrEc[/youtube]

Re: Jake Blade/Legacy

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Hey, I know this thread is almost a year old, but I just ordered one of these.

I, too have a 2008 G&L (Legacy USA) - what do you mean you had to "take yours down a bit" in order for it to fit? Can you elaborate a bit?

Thanks in advance!

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:55 pm

what do you mean you had to "take yours down a bit" in order for it to fit? Can you elaborate a bit?

I guess the circumference of the pre-2005 or 2006 trem bars was a little bigger than the ones made after that time. At the time I bought mine, The Jake Blades were only being made to the older spec. I doubt that has changed. So I had to turn the shaft of the Jake Blade between my fingers on some emery cloth for a while to get it to fit. As a side note though, the guy who makes them (Mark Benjamin) answered the phone himself when I called the support number (269) 695-0245. He is friendly and offered to make one to my 2008 specs if I wanted. You might try giving him a call. Good luck.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the Jake Blade. I recently started getting into UM and they are friggin blowing my mind. The whole band is awesome and Jake is a monster.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks desertrat07 - I called the number today and spoke with Marc - he answered just like you said he might.

He just told me to get some emery cloth exactly like he must have told you. I guess the difference in circumference is tiny - like 1/1000th/inch. So I'll just sand it down a bit.

JasonM - Jake is a monster, but a really nice guy too. i met him in Mexico last year when I went to see the Mayan Holidaze - what a trip!

Cheers.