New family member. That makes 3!

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:12 pm

I have been doing some searching for my next guitar. And I found it.

The style of case doesn't make or break a deal, but I prefer the plastic molded kind. They feel easier to move around and more compact. I didn't have a choice in the matter. ;)

The white color and black fretboard looks really nice. I am not a fan of pearl, but I do like the color combination.

No microwave plate on this one. :thumbup:

Here is a closer look. I now have 2 S500s. A 3 bolt and now a 4 bolt.

Ugh! I might go find a replacement for these. Locking tuners makes life easier. No problem, easy to replace. Then again, my 3 bolt has issues with the locking tuners. Today I spent over an hour trying to replace the strings. :BangBang: The tuners need a tune up, what a pain they were today.

Let's make a comparison between the two.
The old model '96 I believe, has > 2" of wood on the higher frets. I always thought G&L could improve their guitars by reducing the amount of wood here. Kind of like how Suhr does it.

The new model is < 2". This is good! There might be more room for improvement, but progress has been made.

Let's take another look at the 3 bolt. It has over 1" of wood.

The 4 bolt has less than 1"

Side by side. Notice the different shades on the saddles and where the toggle switch is. The new model has it in a scary place, I hope that doesn't become an issue when I play. Is this location the norm for S500 nowadays? Just curious to see if other people have the same set up.

Does anyone know of the neck profile on the 30th? It seems a little smaller than my 3 bolt. That might have something to do with an Ebony fretboard.
There is a noticable difference between the fret job on between the 2. The Plek system is smooth. As for my 3 bolt....wellll...it has had better days.

There is a color difference on the neck. The 4 bolt feel smoother, but the 3 bolt has a more "vintage" look.
The birth mark on the 4 bolt looks to be a little rough.

From what I can see. G&L has improved on these guitars. Now it is time to play it and find out.

:banana:

Re: New family member. That makes 3!

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:38 pm

if you're near me, i'd trade a new Fender case for yours...

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:47 pm

I agree with you on a few things, but overall the less wood I do not agree. Contoured neck joints come at a cost, not to mention I hit 22 no problem and bend to heck. What the real issue is, is tightness in the lower horn.

That mini toggle I don't like there, I wouldn't be able to roll the volume.

As far as tuners, you need a string winder, or to eliminate string wind (you don't need much past 1 round if you are plugging in the center.

Looks nice overall, you are the first I have heard complain about getting the better case though.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Thanks for the comparison Meow. I like the scientific approach. Looking forward the tone review

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:21 pm

sirmyghin wrote:I agree with you on a few things, but overall the less wood I do not agree. Contoured neck joints come at a cost, not to mention I hit 22 no problem and bend to heck. What the real issue is, is tightness in the lower horn.

That mini toggle I don't like there, I wouldn't be able to roll the volume.

As far as tuners, you need a string winder, or to eliminate string wind (you don't need much past 1 round if you are plugging in the center.

Looks nice overall, you are the first I have heard complain about getting the better case though.

What do you mean by lower horn?

I never had an issue with the mini toggle on the 3-bolt. I am yet to try the 4-bolt. Why they moved it? I don't know.

lol about the case. I have a real nasty habit of dinging doors and walls carrying around cases that shape. The cheap plastic case did the job perfectly and it was so much easier to walk around with. It also withstands scratches better. The vintage tolex is guaranteed to scar with me handling it.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:57 pm

meowmix wrote:Side by side. Notice the different shades on the saddles ...

Does anyone know of the neck profile on the 30th?

Visually that's the difference between the DF vibrato and the DFS vibrato systems. I would be interested in hearing your comparison between them.

The neck is the #1 G&L Classic "C".

Thanks for the comparison and looking forward to your tone report, too.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:44 am

Meow, thanks for the great technical information. I am a tech geek and like this information. That is a beautiful S-500, just like what I wanted but got the 30th Aniv Asat Classic instead as it was available. The changes you have documented support why the setups are different today then they were years ago. I am surprised in the different marketing strategy that G&L uses. They make subtle changes and never mention them. Any time that Fender makes a minimal change they hype it as a huge improvement and want people to think that what they currently own has become obsolete. Even the hype from G&L on the improved DF has been minimal. Fender made a change to their saddles a couple of years ago to a stamped saddled, probably reducing production costs. Some say it helps sustain but who really knows. Fender hypes it as the greatest thing ever. Anyway, I commend G&L for what I would describe as an objective presentation of changes. Criag is asking for input on the new DF rather than claiming it is the greatest ever.

Meow, that is an awesome guitar. The 30 Th models are an absolute work of art in the presentation of the Pearl theme. Even though it may not be striking in pictures to everyone, it really becomes a gem when you look closely at it in person. You have a couple of sweet S-500s.-- Darwin :banana:

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:42 am

meowmix wrote:
What do you mean by lower horn?

I never had an issue with the mini toggle on the 3-bolt. I am yet to try the 4-bolt. Why they moved it? I don't know.

lol about the case. I have a real nasty habit of dinging doors and walls carrying around cases that shape. The cheap plastic case did the job perfectly and it was so much easier to walk around with. It also withstands scratches better. The vintage tolex is guaranteed to scar with me handling it.

The lower bout, the cut away on the treble side of the neck. On my ASAT and most strat shapes I get conjested on my knuckles (the first knuckle) as I have long palms. So I need to reach ina certain way. Neck heels don't bug me as I play thumb behind neck. My ASAT is less good than my C66 in this respect (tighter area) not sure about G&Ls strat shapes really.

Sounds fun, I don't like the plastic cases as they tend to crack and such under jarring/shipping. My LB75 has a crack on a foot from the initial shipping (Cali to Ontario). That and they just don't look or feel as solid.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:05 am

1st day of Practice
------------------

1.) Intonation on the 4 bolt is fabulous. That could be because of the Plek. The 3 bolt is 15 years old. Can't really make a comparison as age and humidity can take its toll. The 3bolt intonation is just fine, maybe not as perfect, but it is still pretty good.

2.) The maple neck feels harder than Ebony, I don't know if it actually is, I'm just saying it feels that way.

3.) Sustain. The 4 bolt has more sustain.(Could this be because of DFS Vibrato? Ebony instead of Maple?) From my comparison the 4 bolt held the note longer and it faded away in a linear fashion gradually. The 3 bolt was slightly less, but once it became weak, it just dropped off the cliff. Poof! Gone! I just recently had the 3bolt taken to the luthier, but who knows why there is a sudden drop off.
The problem is, we are comparing instruments that are 15 years apart. If you really want to know the difference between the DFS and the DF, compare like models in same year.

4.) I have become accustomed to palming the volume knob and rolling on the 3bolt. The 4bolt, it can't be done. The darn mini-toggle gets in the way. This is bad. :mad0025: FWIW. Since I rarely use the mini-toggle, it makes sense to have it out of the way.
Take a look at the difference placements of the mini toggle.

This is no good. It needs to be move back to the 3bolt position. I would like to know the history or reasons as to why they changed the placement.

Till next time.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:09 am

I think that the switch placement is understandable.It looks to me like it has been centered between the knobs rather than closer to one or the other. It may be a matter of getting used to. Darwin

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:54 am

I like doing swells with my volume knob and I quite agree with meowmix. I'm not sure the toggle wouldn't get in the way of my pinky. Some times going wit numbers is not the good way; it's more a matter of ergonomics (but in the same time, many people complain on the placement of the volume knob - I'm not one of them.)
Anyway, definitely a beautiful guitar.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Craig.

Do you know of any reason why they changed the placement of the mini-toggle?
Also, the Registry does not have a drop down for the 30th S500 anni.
I see there was a Mahogany S500, is there any pics of that one?

Here are some more pics of the different mini-toggle placement.

The old way

The new way

Pinky gets in the way

Even when just grabbing the top of the knob, I still bump into it.

I think the push-pull option might be the best solution, but I don't own one to know for sure.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:05 pm

meowmix wrote:Craig.

I did put a query about this but have not heard back about the history of this change.
I did find out that you can order either a mini-toggle or a push/pull pot for the expander switch.
You might be able to specify the location of the mini-toggle, as well. Check with your G&L dealer.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the S-500 Mahogany Special Build.

Hope this helps.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Craig wrote:
meowmix wrote:Craig.

I did put a query about this but have not heard back about the history of this change.
I did find out that you can order either a mini-toggle or a push/pull pot for the expander switch.
You might be able to specify the location of the mini-toggle, as well. Check with your G&L dealer.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the S-500 Mahogany Special Build.

Hope this helps.

Almost forgot - I added the 30th Anniversary S-500 (and the other three additions) to the G&L Registry model list.
They are at the bottom of the menu list.

Hope this helps.