Tone of early MFD's different than later MDF pickups?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Is there a marked difference in dynamic tonal range between early MFD pickups and later MFD's ?

I ask this because I've just acquired an early 90's Skyhawk Leo Signature model and its tone is much more cleanly balanced across the spectrum than my earlier MFD equipt '84 Skyhawk and '82 S-500. All three possess that 'heavy' MFD tone, but the newer Skyhawk seems to have something much more - a certain 'clearer' more balanced definition in its overall tone - unlike my older S-500 and Skyhawk which tended to lose the high end somewhat when power chording

Did G&L change it's MFD design from early 80's to early 90's, or could it just be a matter of pickup settings on my part?

Oh, and just for the GBL record - this 1990 Skyhawk Sig is one of the sweetest sounding and playing guitars that I've ever had :)

-- TV

Re: Tone of early MFD's different than later MDF pickups?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:44 pm

good question,

I 've noticed my late 80's early 90's G&L's are brighter than the early 80's examples
and wondered the same thing.

I love my skyhawk sig. too :

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:06 am

For the years you're talking, 84 to 91 the pups were very similar, They were both hand wound so the turn counts will vary but not by much, They used the same wire, #42 PE and both used the same ceramic magnets of which the gauss levels will vary but not by much. In 87 when the skyhawk body was tweaked to make it look more like a strat and the pickguard configuration was changed the pups may have a bit different placement but I'm not positive on that point and also the PTB controls were tweaked a bit during that period, that being said, I think the differences in tone between the two have more to do with placement and circut changes then difference in the pups.

gary

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:50 pm

[quote = "westsideduck"] Para los años que estas hablando, de 84 a 91 los cachorros son muy similares, ambos Fueron parte de la herida por lo que la cuenta A su vez Puede variar pero no mucho, utilizaron el mismo cable, # 42 y PE ambos Utilizan el mismo imanes de cerámica de las que los Niveles de Gauss Variara, pero no por mucho. En el 87 Cuando el cuerpo Skyhawk Fue ajustado Para que se vea más como un inicio y la configuración del golpeador Fue criado A LOS cachorros Puede Tener una ubicación poco diferente pero no soy positivo en ese momento Y también los controles se PTB ajustado un poco Durante ese período, dicho esto, creo que las Diferencias de tono entre los dos Tienen más que ver con la colocación y los cambios circut entonces la diferencia en los cachorros.

[Gary / quote]

Hola westsideduck
Muy buena información que me sirvió mucho hablar a mí también. En realidad, toda la información de esta guitarra, me gusta escuchar a mí también.
Y también a esa pregunta a mí.
Muchas gracias por responder, además veo que sabe mucho.
Si quierte decir más de esta guitarra, somos todo oídos y no se enoje: happy0065:

Esta es mi cielo: mrgreen:

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:16 pm

[ BUMP to the top ] -- this was my first thread about the *magical* Skyhawk Sig before delving into my "gonna wreck the upper bout" thread later on -- bumping this thread to the top for completeness purposes of a similar issue -- both should now be sitting at the top: Please see Protecting a guitars finish (some G&L, but general question)

-- TV

westsideduck wrote:For the years you're talking, 84 to 91 the pups were very similar, They were both hand wound so the turn counts will vary but not by much, They used the same wire, #42 PE and both used the same ceramic magnets of which the gauss levels will vary but not by much. In 87 when the skyhawk body was tweaked to make it look more like a strat and the pickguard configuration was changed the pups may have a bit different placement but I'm not positive on that point and also the PTB controls were tweaked a bit during that period, that being said, I think the differences in tone between the two have more to do with placement and circut changes then difference in the pups.

gary