Re: New Serial Number Plates

Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:23 pm

I actually have no problem with it either. WHen I got my guitar, I looked at the plate for a few minutes, said, hmmmm and that was it, havent noticed it since.

Change is hard and not everyone is happy.

Our CEO once did a talk on how hard change is, he said, "go home tonight and talk to your wife, husband, significant other and ask them if they would mind changing sides of the bed to sleep on, then you'll see how hard change is"

I tried it, took me three months to convince my wife to change the side of the bed she sleeps on and three to four months later she demanded I change back, said that she wasnt sleeping.........................

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Well I didn't like the plate and now I hate it!

I just bought my only G&L in May of 2011. There is no change for me. My Legacy is one of the good ones that has the old style serial number. :evilgrin:

Seriously now, change in and of itself is not the issue. Even though the new whammy bar design is superior I like the higher percentage of chrome bling in the previous design. When I go shopping for a 2nd G&L I will have several considerations to deal with in addition to the metal plate.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 pm

I know this is an old thread but wanted to voice a practical concern.

I dont really care that much one way or another about the plate. But having had more G&Ls without it, i would say that would be my preference.

My main issue and reason for posting is that with my G&L JB bass, the name plate is in the way of installing a Hipshot Detuner. I had to remove the plate when i installed the new tuner. Its not the end of the world but now there are 2 holes in my headstock and it seems they could have found a better place to position this. I cant be the only bass player to use a detuner on their E string...

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:38 am

Good timing on this topic as it seems they have now used a laser print on the new guitars, I have seen it on several 2017 models.

I actually love both the old decal as well as the number plates, and less the laser engraving, but after all its the guitars themselves I love... : )

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:19 am

I like the plate a lot, but I'd rather have it recessed flush into the neck (like inlay). I think that would look more professional, and it wouldn't snag that way. A few moments extra on the CNC, and you bump up the aesthetic of quality a whole notch.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:14 am

The Serial Number Plates have been discontinued, see: A recent serial numbering change ....

:ugeek:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 am

Interesting that they made the change back. If only the plate was recessed it wouldnt be in the way for me. Guess i will just have to try not to look at the bare holes lol

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Madwatch wrote:Interesting that they made the change back. If only the plate was recessed it wouldnt be in the way for me. Guess i will just have to try not to look at the bare holes lol

Besides going to laser etching of the serial number, I like the new serial number format because it includes the build year and month, (reference post: Serial number significance).

:ugeek: