Re: Questions on G&L JB

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

stevespanglerjr wrote:I just received a new G&L JB model, which I ordered online. When it arrived, I noticed that the tuners are "Hip-Shot" not G&L model tuners as on my L-2000. When did G&L change to the Hip-Shot tuners?

G&L started using Hipshots about 2005, maybe earlier. (I'm an old fart and I forget these things) This happened because supplies from Schaller started getting tight. Currently, new basses could have either one.

Also, is there any advise for removing the residual film from the pickguard? I removed the plastic covering, but it left a somewhat sticky residue.

Well, THAT shouldn't have happened.

Naptha, available at home centers and paint stores, should help clean it up. I'd recommend removing the guard to do the cleaning.

Ken...

Re: Questions on G&L JB

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 am

If you can't get to that home store but have an old band instrument in the house, you may have a bottle of valve oil in the case.
I use trumpet valve oil or trombone slide oil. It is deodorized kerosene and, although it is not completly odor free, it does a good job of disolving glue with a bit of elbow grease.
I have removed major glue deposits from old stickers applied to a number of used basses that I have cleaned up with valve oil.
I always have some in my toolbox just for this pupose.

-bassman Bill