G&L Alnicos...how much output?

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:53 am

Does anyone know what kind of output the G&L Alnicos are considered to have? Vintage, Medium, High? It's been so long since I took them out of my Legacy I can't remember, and I don't really want to go to all the trouble of putting them back in just to find out. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: G&L Alnicos...how much output?

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:23 am

Muleya wrote:Does anyone know what kind of output the G&L Alnicos are considered to have? Vintage, Medium, High? It's been so long since I took them out of my Legacy I can't remember, and I don't really want to go to all the trouble of putting them back in just to find out. Any help would be appreciated!

See the List of pickups used in G&L guitars in the
G&L Knowledgebase: sub-forum General G&L Questions.

Hope this helps.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 am

Very helpful, Craig, thanks! Didn't even think to look for this there...DOH!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:28 pm

I don't doubt the figures Craig gave in those links for one second, but I've got a set of '96 Legacy pickups laying around that came as spares with my S-500. I just put them on the multimeter and here are the results:

Neck: 5.8K
Middle: 5.8K
Bridge: 6.0K

FWIW I expected the bridge to have a bit more output than the other two but that wasn't the case. It might explain why it sounds relatively 'weak'. I tried them out a whle back and decided I like the original MFD's better. I would describe the output as vintage.

HTH.