The BBE Sonic Stomp....

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Holy cow!!! It does what it says it will!!!

I was very skeptical about what I'd read in the companies literature on this pedal. I have been toying with one for the last hour and I'll be damned, it does exactly what the stuff on the website and manual says it will:

BBE Website "...adding clarity, definition and punch to any instrument."

From the manual, "It restores your signals natural clarity and depth; making the lows tighter and the highs more intelligible, almost like someone removed a blanket from your speaker cabinet"

It has a wonderful effect on the bass in my Tweed Deluxe clone, where those frequencies can be muddy. It's added a lot of clarity there, making it seem like an ever better amplifier. The only drawback is that all I'm out of power supplies on my pedal board, where it will remain 'on' constantly.

And the construction is second to none. It would have to be the solidest pedal I've ever picked up - I couldn't believe the weight in this thing. Even the box it comes in is extra sturdy.

Is anyone else using these? Anyone here have any gripes?
Last edited by blargfromouterspace on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The BBE Sonic Stomp....

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 pm

I have a gripe.....

I don't own one! :shocked028:

Santa, ya get'n this down?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:25 pm

StratsRock wrote:I have a gripe.....

I don't own one! :shocked028:

Santa, ya get'n this down?

Well, ... You could take on LR duties one of these weeks ;)

- Jos

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Hey Blarg,

Yep, got one a while back and found the same benefits you hear with the Tweed Deluxe. After playing with it a while I was able to find some nice tones to add when wanted. For me it did more for my Fender Blues Deluxe than for the Boogie. Anybody have luck with Boogie or high gain amps and the Stomp?

I too am a BBE fan, own six and they all are great and built like a tank. :banana:

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:05 pm

I tried to make a a rack mount Sonic Maximizer I or II work I found used, but it wouldn't pass the signal. Maybe it was broken. So I bought the first Sonic Stomp I ever saw and really like it. I don't usually need it, but I will never sell it because if there's ever a problem with my tone, the Sonic Stomp fixes whatever it is.

I had a Carvin 450 (cedar top thinline nylon string) that the Fishman blew out on. I couldn't afford a new onboard box, so added a Natural I endpin jack and used the Sonic Stomp to contour out the piezo "quack."

Also can be used to de-mush my electric guitar through a tweed Deluxe clone and tighten it up.
Last edited by standards guy on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Looks like there are a few fans!

Standards Guy - I found they work good for jazz, really tightens up the sound and helps a little with note separation. Kind of like a compressor but without the compression, if that makes sense!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:55 am

I have not tried the Sonic Stomp, but I've got a Soul Vibe that sounds great - one of may fave pedals - for like $70 new! A must have for any fan of Darkside of the Moon.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:29 am

Hello,

I have owned the Sonic Stomp for well over a year now and just recently took it out of it's box to give it a try. This thing is interesting. I have it simply between my guitar and my circa 1958 Gibson Skylark ( slightly modded) and it really makes things sound better. It is not easy for me to describe what it really doing but the amp and guitar ( hardtail sc-3) have become much more inspiring to play. The tone, clarity and string responce produced make me want to play more. Less fatigue on the ear and a joy for the brain.

Next I will try it with my Mike Fuller distortion unit and Sovtek Mig - 50 with a 2-12 cabinet. My neighbors will write that review.

I have always been amazed with the tone from that little Gibson amp and the Stomp just made it better. I traded Chicago Slim, r.i.p., for that amp around 1980 and have enjoyed it ever since. I had it recapped about 3 years ago and installed a good speaker. The Stomp really seems to give it more head room and I am looking forword to see how it works with other amps, guitars and effects.

My only complaint is that bbe went off $hore to have it made,

y2kc

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:32 am

sam wrote:Anybody have luck with Boogie or high gain amps and the Stomp?

Not so much for me either Sam. Only when I have pristinely clean sounds can I hear a marked difference.

- Jos

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:...Standards Guy - I found they work good for jazz, really tightens up the sound and helps a little with note separation. Kind of like a compressor but without the compression, if that makes sense!

I agree. When I have had guitars or amps (or guitars with the wrong strings on them) that gave me headaches for a good so-called "jazz" sound, the Sonic Stomp certainly was/is useful to "de-ping" the high end and/or keep the low end together if I tried to get the treble strings fluffy sounding without losing the wound strings into the mud.

Even though my present rig doesn't need much tailoring for a good jazz sound, I keep a Sonic Stomp handy in the car because some rooms suck all the highs out of everything. Sonic Stomp is the best guitar oriented EQ I've ever heard. It doesn't give me ear fatigue like a compressor can.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:15 am

the sonic stomp does a great job of taking the blanket off my tone. I am not a huge pedal guy but am currently running a few BBE pedals into a Peavey delta blues 115. an Opto Stomp compressor to a Green Screamer to a Sonic Stomp. a simple and honest chain that really doesn't mask the original tone but makes it sound more alive.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:14 pm

I'm surprised about the lack of effect that it seems to have when uses with high gain amps - the only youtube clips for guitar I could find were of some guy in Germany playing death metal and speaking very highly of it's suitability for that kind of music.

Seems like the effect is most notable in the cruder, '50s type amps. I had a three hour rehearsal last night and my rig has never sounded better, my lead sound was really cooking!

Y2kc - got a picture of that amp? I'd like to see it!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 pm

I have been a big fan of the Sonic Maximizers for some time. I have 2 882Is that I use on vocals in the band and the band members know that they work. They really work and I cannot tell you why. I do not keep snake oil and I would not own it if it didn't work. I also have a Sonic Stomp and it is amazing on my Twin Reverb Custom 15. I have also discovered that it has very little or no effect on my Bogner Alchemist. I plan to do a test this weekend using three different amps. including in the effects loops where possible. I think I understand what the maximizer does but this will help me clarify it. I will use one guitar and not change the settings for this test. I have to keep track of what I am doing so I will keep it simple or else I will have to do it over and over, well, you know the story. For what its worth, I will report next week if I have any revelations. By the way, the fellow who picked up my Pro Reverb three weeks ago tried the Sonic Stomp on his guitar and the Pro Reverb. His comment, "Wow, I have to get one of these". :confused0007: Darwin