Custom Pickguard Work ( Final product is here.)

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:56 am

So, I have some sources for the covetted metal pickguards. Since Toneguard has gone OEM, finding places that will make them for G&Ls can be a little tricky. I have sent in my ASAT special guitar (4 bolt) to be replicated recently. This is the result,

As you can see I did a little something nonstandard. I have had quotes for work like this ranging 300-400$! in acrylic no less, not metal. This price was nowhere near that. The catch is the only G&L guard he currently has is the ASAT special 4 bolt. I sent him mine to replicate, but if you have CAD files or whatnot that works too. It will be anodized black, and put on my orange ASAT special btw. I chose anodized finish as it is more durable than powder coating.

I have permission to give out his email to you good folks, there are no spaces in the email btw. t b bartho lomew AT g mail DOT com . As I said, excellent guy to work with, very responsive and on the ball. I was going to keep this secret until complete for the full effect, but oh well.

Here is a link containing some of his work.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/dealers-and-group-buys/134502-custom-sheet-metal-fabrication-now-taking-orders-prototype-designs-within.html
Last edited by sirmyghin on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Custom Pickguard Work

Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Very nice! I can't wait to see it finished and installed. It should look pretty, but dangerous.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:16 am

You can't wait eh? :D I am stoked, it is turning out better than I envisioned, not to mention I have never seen a pickguard like this on a guitar ever.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 am

That does look awesome. Very Unique. can't wait to see the final on your guitar.

C :!:

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:03 am

sirmyghin wrote:not to mention I have never seen a pickguard like this on a guitar ever.

You innovator, you! It is a great idea to have that vine laser cut out of the pick guard. It's going to look fantastic with the orange showing through.

Re: Custom Pickguard Work ( Final product is here.)

Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Image

Looks great, but you've got to install it and show us what it looks like on the guitar! :lol:

What finish types will be available? Will he do powder coated finishes?

Thanks for sharing.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:33 pm

He will do powder coating, albeit due to volume done it takes a bit longer. Never asked him about different colours, but assume you can get what you want. It is not here yet, that was taken at his shop, I should have it in a week and change. He has recommended I toss a layer or 2 of clear on it for aging purposes, but it is not necessary. I was recommended anodized finish as powder coated finishes will be more prone to hand wear and such, they are on the metal not a part of the metal. After that I just figured go with the anodized anyway.

Stay tuned, I will definitely show the final effect.

Edit: I emailed him about colours, he can do other colours but you may have to pay a bit more for them than black, white and clear.