Happy Thanksgiving!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:31 pm

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Wrong forum. Oh well, too late. Let's roll with it unless the Craigster moves it. ;- )
Hi guys,

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know I have a lot to be thankful for and I'm not taking it for granted.

I do plan a little selfish headspace, though. I'm taking home this ASAT Junior that's been in my office for ages. Time to get reacquainted. Been doing a lot of heavy stuff lately, with Rampages, ASAT HBs and a couple of old F-100s, because my son is into bands like Three Days Grace and Disturbed. Lots of E-flat-tuning, D-tuning and drop-C stuff, so we've got a quiver of axes setup with different tunings and string gauges. He wants me to show him heavy riffs, so what am I gonna do? Then again, I do enjoy pushing the Marshall with the Crusher dimed and Sonic Stomp set to kill. Anyway, I'm feeling some single coil vibe, so I plan to spend some personal time with the Junior and an ASAT Z-3 Semi-Hollow loaded with three Alnico pickups out of a Legacy.

Do any of you have a "guitar focus" for the holiday?

Regards,

Dave

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Happy Yankee Thanksgiving Darth,

I have a 'guitar focus' every day. I spend 1-2 hours practicing daily. I am currently an academic and it is valuable brain recharge time between reading papers, trying to figure out models, and programming/thinking about how I am going to program. I don't do the down tuned thing though, I don't buy the 'it sounds heavier stuff'. I don't even like dropping D's, a couple of bands I listen to / play occasionally play 1/2 flat, or drop a D but that is it. I plan to get a 7 in standard (BEADGBE) to counteract that.

Some days I want the sweet ASAT special soapbars, other days I just want my Carvin C66 (comfiest guitar I have, SS frets might make the ASAT on par though. Hint Hint.) The problem is I don't like those pickups (C22 humbuckers). I have BKP rebel yells coming in to hopefully extend me to sonic bliss though. The ASAT will still get its workouts though, single coils are there for a reason. You need both.