Legacy tremolo profile vs. traditional Strat

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:51 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody could give me some guidance on this subject.

As are many, I'm a big fan of a good Stratocaster. Doesn't have to be Fender...
however of the G&L Legacy I've owned, and many I've played, many of them have a noticably higher profile (how far the strings sit off the body) than a traditional Strat. This gives the guitar a very different feel. However recently, I played an S500 tribute that had a very LOW traditional profile.

I always assumed that the high profile was due to the floating G&L tremolo and couldn't be avoided. Are there certain models or options to which the profile is lower and more traditional? I find this much more comfortable and the main reason I've not quite bonded with Legacy guitars as much.

Re: Legacy tremolo profile vs. traditional Strat

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:26 am

Slappytappy, interesting and correct observation you have made. At the neck pocket the distance from the body to the surface of the neck is about 3/8 in on the American Legacy. The same measurement on an American Deluxe Strat is 9/32. Both guitars are set up identical for neck action. I can only give the the same measurement on the Tribute ASAT and it is the same as the American Deluxe. The neck depth at the heel where it meets the body is 15/16 for both G&Ls and it is 7/8 on the Fender. Why the difference? The DF vibrato does sit a bit higher and the G&L neck is a bit thicker at the heel. Is it for a stronger neck joint or to compensate for the height of the DF? I certainly do not know but it would be interesting if someone knew the answer. Perhaps it is just a coincidence. Bottom line, Slappytappy, you are correct and I had not noticed this. Great observation! -- Darwin

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:38 am

Companies like PRS claim a bigger heel can help eliminate the formation of dead notes, I have no opinion on the matter however. Given the backlash they get for long heels at times I wager they do infact have a good reason for it, so am inclined to take their word.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:46 pm

SlappyTappy wrote:Hi,
I was wondering if anybody could give me some guidance on this subject.

As are many, I'm a big fan of a good Stratocaster. Doesn't have to be Fender...
however of the G&L Legacy I've owned, and many I've played, many of them have a noticably higher profile (how far the strings sit off the body) than a traditional Strat. This gives the guitar a very different feel. However recently, I played an S500 tribute that had a very LOW traditional profile.

I always assumed that the high profile was due to the floating G&L tremolo and couldn't be avoided. Are there certain models or options to which the profile is lower and more traditional? I find this much more comfortable and the main reason I've not quite bonded with Legacy guitars as much.

I contacted Steve Grom, Director of Manufacturing about this. Here is his reply:

There have not been any dimensional changes to necks, neck pockets or hardware since I've been here (nearly 2 years).

Based on the design of the Dual Fulcrum Bridge, in order to make sure the bridge has a "floating" setup (where you can raise or lower the pitch of the strings) the bridge needs to sit higher off the body that an instrument using a more tradition/vintage tremolo bridge. This slight increase in height of strings off the body does not affect setup or playability in any way. The dimensions of all the associated parts have been adjusted to compensate for the bridge design.

Thanks

Steve Grom

Hope this helps.