Some Minor Mods (what the heck is that boy up to?)

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Installed a graph tech string tree

Got a barrel switch tip which may or may not work as I had to modify the inside which I botched and am now trying to correct with an epoxy. (getting a 4 way in the future anyway).

Holy crap, that guitar is nekkid. Where is that pickguard? Last time I heard, it was in NY, but why is it in NY? Could this be part of the super secret project? Stay tuned, this project is drawing to a close. All the nitty gritty details soon.

Cheers all :happy0007: :banana:

Kyle

Re: Some Minor Mods (what the heck is that boy up to?)

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Kyle, I like the graphite string tree and switch tip and even a 4 way switch. I could also see putting a Bigsby on this baby. A pickguard on this beauty???????????
Last edited by darwinohm on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:38 pm

darwinohm wrote:Kyle, I like the graphite string tree and switch tip and even a 4 way switch.I could also see putting a Bigsby on this baby. A pickguard on this beauty???????????

It has screw holes for one, so it needs one. Having the pickguard off has had me realize I actually prefer the look of it with one. It is to do with the pickguard, but it is an idea I have only seen in idea one, and never executed on an actual guitar. It should be complete next friday, and then on its way to me (probably another week). It is pretty stunning though. The other down side is the finish is applied before those screws are driven, so they actually chip a bit on the edge of some of them when removed :(. Right now it just looks NEKKID! though. A clear pickguard would look cool acceptable, but I find contributes nothing to the overall appearance.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:30 pm

What's that you have tucked in behind the nut?

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:28 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:What's that you have tucked in behind the nut?

Bit of mousepad, I am having some issues with resonance of the strings behind the nut causing warble, which is getting amplified in higher gain situations. I would like to get a scrunchy hair tie but have not yet.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:03 am

The warble, is it a "sitar" like sound?

Cheers
L-zr

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Are you using epoxy on the barrel switch tip?

I would discourage you from gluing anything on the guitar with epoxy. You will have to remove the tip someday. Hopefully without the use of a hacksaw!

Nice guitar. I vote for a white moto pickguard.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Can't go white, too much like a creamsickle. just wait and see :happy0007:

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 pm

sirmyghin wrote: I would like to get a scrunchy hair tie but have not yet.

That made me laugh! :happy0007:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:48 pm

bassman wrote:
I would discourage you from gluing anything on the guitar with epoxy. You will have to remove the tip someday. Hopefully without the use of a hacksaw!

Also , as I missed this, I had a plan, I had greased the tip of the switch , the idea was to give the barrel a close fit by letting the epoxy harder around it. It did not work either way (and got a bit of epoxy IN my switch :lol: ) All is functional now, as I will be changing the switch to a 4 way anyway I am not worried. I am jsut dealing with the top hat again for now (no epoxy got on the control plate).

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:25 pm

darwinohm wrote:Kyle, I like the graphite string tree and switch tip and even a 4 way switch. I could also see putting a Bigsby on this baby. A pickguard on this beauty???????????

I put a Bigsby on an ASAT Classic. It looked really cool and it worked pretty well. But, there's not enough break angle on the string so you end up with spongy feel to the strings. I think that is why G&L actually routes a little space in the guitar body where they install a Bigsby.

Here's a photo of the finished product: Image

RickT

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Rick, that is not a problem when you use the F Bigsby. The roller is closer to the bridge and that Bigsby doesn't have the tab above the handle. It is a bit longer and goes from the bottom like yours to just below the bridgeplate. hat is what my classic S is going to get. Beautiful guitar Rick.-- Rick

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:28 pm

That ASAT is the same guitar in the bottom row in the middle of the photo. In fact, you can see it in its original form next to my George Fullerton model. Just to the left is the next iteration of it . I put a Fralin '59 PAF humbucker in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donohue pickup in the bridge. Those two pickups worked great together.

RickT