Bird's Eye Maple

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:25 am

If I order a Bird's Eye Maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, will the back of the neck be finished in Gun Oil Gloss, or do I have to pay extra for that?

It's hard to tell looking at this page: http://proguitarshop.com/store/guitars-l-guitars-l-guitars-options-and-upgrades-neck-c-1_27_618, because it looks like the Bird's Eye Neck has that Gun Oil tint.

Re: Bird's Eye Maple

Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:00 am

scolfax wrote:If I order a Bird's Eye Maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, will the back of the neck be finished in Gun Oil Gloss, or do I have to pay extra for that?

It's hard to tell looking at this page: http://proguitarshop.com/store/guitars-l-guitars-l-guitars-options-and-upgrades-neck-c-1_27_618, because it looks like the Bird's Eye Neck has that Gun Oil tint.

They are separate options. See G&L's Guitar Options page. Click on the Bird's Eye Maple neck link.

Hope this helps.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:11 pm

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a custom order.

Why does it say "(90 day warranty)" next to the Bird's Eye Maple neck option? Does that mean the neck has less of a warranty than the rest of the guitar? What is the normal warranty, and why would a Bird's Eye neck be any different?

Thanks!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:42 pm

scolfax wrote:I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a custom order.

Why does it say "(90 day warranty)" next to the Bird's Eye Maple neck option? Does that mean the neck has less of a warranty than the rest of the guitar? What is the normal warranty, and why would a Bird's Eye neck be any different?

Thanks!

Yes, the warranty on the neck is less than the rest of the guitar which is covered for 10 years. We discontinued the full Bird's Eye necks for a while but we brought it back due to demand. It seems other makers did the same, perhaps making it available only on very high-end custom guitars and with a short warranty. The reason is that Bird's Eye isn't as stable because all of those little "eyes" are deformities. While not as sexy, straight grain maple is ideal for durability. The worst case for a Bird's Eye neck is someone who tours with their guitars, as dramatic changes in temp and humidity greatly increase the chance that the neck will warp. For the casual player, the guy who plays in town and does a decent job of maintaining a steady environment for his instruments, it's less risky.

Maybe this isnt' a great analogy, but I'll give it a shot. In the world of motorheads, guys buy cars and install turbos or superchargers, knowing that it voids the warranty on the engine but they're willing to run the risk of paying for a new engine if the worst occurs. Most of the time there isn't a meltdown, or else the tuners wouldn't be selling the forced induction systems. I had a engine built with a turbo system running about 14 lbs of boost, and I know that if the engine grenades that I'm paying for another one. There are things I can do to mitigate the risk, such as careful tuning, running quality gas and so on, but I'm willing to deal with the risk because I love the rush of power.

I think of Bird's Eye as being similar, in that there's a powerful allure that comes with an inherent risk. You can't buy an aftermarket G&L neck, so the only way to get that "fix" is to have the factory build the guitar for you.

Regards,

Dave

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll probably pass on the birdseye this time. Glad I can make an informed decision.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Dave,

I fully understand your explanation. And from a constructional standpoint it make a lot of sense. But there is this nagging issue in my mind. In the past, G&L has released many models, some of them built by the Custom Creations Department, with Bird's Eye maple necks. The '91-'92 Commemorative, '99 ASAT '50, '00 20th Anniversary, and '08-'09 ASAT Classic w/spalted maple top come to mind, each of them produced in limited numbers and highly collectible. Is that because these models, in being produced in a limited number, were intended to be kept in a 'steady environment'? Or has the transition from Bi-Cut neck to the new neck construction have anything to do with it? With the transition having taken place at the end of '06, the ASAT Classic w/spalted maple top would be the only exception here, and I don't know for sure whether all of them have Bird's Eye maple necks. This one at least has, which only adds to my confusion.

It would be great if you could comment on this.

- Jos