Invader body shape?

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:40 am

I am thinking of custom ordering a G&L with a Strat body shape, with no pickguard, two humbuckers and the standard G&L trem. Looking at the options on the ProGuitarshop.com site, it looks like I should start with an Invader XL and configure from there.

1) Is this the right way to go? Feels like I might be paying too much for what I want. What is the right base model to start with?
2) If this is the right way to go, is the Invader body style the same as the S-500/Legacy?

Re: Invader body shape?

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:24 pm

There was a thread recently about pick guards, the result was that you couldn't order a guitar which comes standard with a pick guard (ie. the Legacy 2HB) without one. You might be able to have your dealer sweet talk the guys at the factory.

The F-100 might scratch your itch. Two hukbuckers, no pickguard and the G&L Trem.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:49 pm

scolfax wrote:I am thinking of custom ordering a G&L with a Strat body shape, with no pickguard, two humbuckers and the standard G&L trem. Looking at the options on the ProGuitarshop.com site, it looks like I should start with an Invader XL and configure from there.

1) Is this the right way to go? Feels like I might be paying too much for what I want. What is the right base model to start with?
2) If this is the right way to go, is the Invader body style the same as the S-500/Legacy?

The Invader body style is different from the S-500/Legacy; the upper and lower horns are slightly longer.

The F-100 body style is also different from both the S-500/Legacy and the Invader body styles. The butt of the body is wider and the center of the body is narrower. The upper and lower horns are closer to the S-500/Legacy.

The Invader and F-100 are the closest match to your requirements, with the F-100 being the closest, since it
can be optioned with the DF trem, which is what blarg mentions also. BTW, you do have some pickup options on the F-100, too. MFD humbuckers, SD Humbuckers or EMG humbuckers.

Hope this helps.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Food for thought!

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:31 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:

The F-100 might scratch your itch. Two hukbuckers, no pickguard and the G&L Trem.

Does anyone else find the representations of the guitars at G&L's website dark ?
especially the black burst F-100, I would love to see well lit pics of actual guitars.
....maybe I need to adjust my monitor brightness...
(sorry for the sidetrack)

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Elwood wrote:
blargfromouterspace wrote:

Does anyone else find the representations of the guitars at G&L's website dark ?
especially the black burst F-100, I would love to see well lit pics of actual guitars.
....maybe I need to adjust my monitor brightness...
(sorry for the sidetrack)

:sign0006: (sorry could not resist :lol: )

Those are pictures of the actual guitars, they just don't show well on a black background.
I, too, agree that the pictures should show well lit instruments.
I'll pass your comment on to Dave.

Hope this helps.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:23 pm

I just got a reply back from Dave:

While there's certainly a personal taste thing, it may well be a monitor thing.
I was amazed at how much differently monitors display images, and even how much
different things look in different browsers. Consequently, our photographer preps the
images for what we think will have the broadest appeal across platforms.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:49 am

Craig wrote:I just got a reply back from Dave:

While there's certainly a personal taste thing, it may well be a monitor thing.
I was amazed at how much differently monitors display images, and even how much
different things look in different browsers. Consequently, our photographer preps the
images for what we think will have the broadest appeal across platforms.

Thanks Craig and Dave, (I'll see if my monitor is on night setting) ...sorry for the hijack scolfax

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:01 am

Elwood wrote:Thanks Craig and Dave, (I'll see if my monitor is on night setting) ...sorry for the hijack scolfax

Just in case you didn't know, G&L also has a Dowload site where the pretty pictures are bigger, better, etc. A link you don't seem to be able to navigate to from the index page shows you (most of) the USA models.

- Jos

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:33 am

I'd say the best way to determine if it's a monitor issue is to look at pics from other guitar sites. The guitars on the Fender and PRS sites look more "real" for some reason, possibly because they are better lit. You can see more light reflecting off of the bodies.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Elwood wrote:Thanks Craig and Dave, (I'll see if my monitor is on night setting) ...sorry for the hijack scolfax

Just in case you didn't know, G&L also has a Dowload site where the pretty pictures are bigger, better, etc. A link you don't seem to be able to navigate to from the index page shows you (most of) the USA models.

- Jos

wow, those rock. Thanks Jos

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:48 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

Please note:

The G&L Image Dowload Site provides high resolution images for
use by authorized G&L dealers, distributors and the press.
All images herein may only be used with permission by BBE Sound, Inc. / G&L Musical Instruments.

So, if you want to use any of those images for public display,
you must get permission to do so.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:52 am

scolfax wrote:I'd say the best way to determine if it's a monitor issue is to look at pics from other guitar sites. The guitars on the Fender and PRS sites look more "real" for some reason, possibly because they are better lit. You can see more light reflecting off of the bodies.

The black background tends to flatten the guitars somewhat I think, especially when the guitar is black or dark . I think your right about needing more light on the body...a large diffuse soft light would really help to bring the pics to life.

Thanks for the link Jos , much better ...still sorta funky , but much better.

Thanks for indulging my tangent, I know I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Craig wrote:Please note:

The G&L Image Dowload Site provides high resolution images for
use by authorized G&L dealers, distributors and the press.
All images herein may only be used with permission by BBE Sound, Inc. / G&L Musical Instruments.

So, if you want to use any of those images for public display,
you must get permission to do so.

Thanks Craig. Forgot to mention that rather important caveat!

- Jos

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:57 pm

scolfax wrote:I am thinking of custom ordering a G&L with a Strat body shape, with no pickguard, two humbuckers and the standard G&L trem. Looking at the options on the ProGuitarshop.com site, it looks like I should start with an Invader XL and configure from there.

I had forgotten about this custom (prototype?) that Steve Grom sent me a photo of back in September:

Steve Grom says:

"Legacy Deluxe w/Saddle Lock Bridge – Really killer quilted maple top with a beautiful Cherryburst Finish. We bought a few pieces of white pearl binding some of that material was used on this body."

I had added it to the Gallery and just now ran across it.

You might show this to your dealer and ask them if they could order one similar (but with DF trem and solid body).

Hope this helps.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:08 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

Wow, very nice!