Bridge saddle inconsistancies? String spacing problem

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

First off I'd like to say that I really love G&L instruments! I can feel the love put in them, and I'm on my 4th G&L now.

So my problem is this. When I a/b my 2004 (I believe) Legacy HB USA with my Fender USA strat, I notice the strat plays a bit better and I've figured out that it is the string spacing that is the cause of this.

The G&L string spacing at the bridge is noticeably less and it causes me problems in that I hit strings unexpectedly sometimes.

I initially thought that it was a design difference to not be like the Fender, but when I pulled out my 2009 S-500 USA, it dosen't have this problem! Plays stellar and no string spacing problems.

I squished the saddles together and compared the two G&L's measuring the distance from the outside of the low E saddle to the outside of the high e saddle and discovered there is a full 1/16th of an inch difference between the two.

Why would this be? Was there a change from 2004 in the saddle width?

It's annoying to say the least! I'm looking at replacing the saddles, but the G&L parts site does not list replacement saddles. Only a whole new bridge for $99.00 that I don't feel I should have to spend to remedy this problem!

Is it possible to get replacement saddles? And if so, how can I be sure that they will be the wider spacing??

Everything else seems to measure out the same, only the saddle width is different.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Bridge saddle inconsistancies? String spacing problem

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:22 pm

I've forwarded your post to a contact at the G&L factory and hope to get some answers for you soon.

Are you the original owner of the Legacy HB? If not, do you know for sure that the saddles are the original ones?
Can you post a photo of the guitar showing the bridge and saddle spacing?
What is the width measurements of the saddles on your Legacy HB and on your S-500?

Hope to have some answers for you soon.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:55 pm

I got it used, but in excellent plus condtion. As far as I can tell they are original saddles.

Here's a link to a video of the measurements, although slightly blurry. It was hard getting the camera a decent distance but you can see it.

Thanks for the fast reply!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-NfJaYZaYA

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:27 pm

I watched your video and do see they each have different measurements.
Can you measure the width of each saddle? The saddles should
be the same width on each bridge. Please post the measurement of an individual
saddle width for each guitar.

I am still waiting to hear back from G&L.