ASAT Super & Junior owners...

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that I'm new to the forum & the proud owner of an ASAT Special from 04/2000. I've had the guitar for over 2 years now, & I still can't get enough of it. It's just right in my hands & there's not much I can't do with it. I think I've bought & sold off 7 guitars since owning the ASAT, & just can't see myself letting go of it.

Having let so many go since the ASAT, I'm thinking that more ASATs is the answer. I've always been interested in the ASAT Junior & Super models, but haven't been able to find that much user/owner feedback. And lately, there have been quite a few of these models popping up on various forums, eBay, gbase, etc. I do need something that sounds different, & preferably a bit warmer & heavier.

I was wondering if current/former owners of either/both the Jr. & Super could provide any feedback/input regarding their experiences with these guitars, & the sonic differences with a Standard or Semi-Hollow ASAT Special (with the chambered mahogany body, ebony board, overwound MFDs in mind). Convince me that the Jr. & Super are different enough and I might just own one very soon.

Thanks!

Re: ASAT Super & Junior owners...

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Howdy,

I own both a Junior and a Super. As you know, their construction is very similar with the exception of the bridge. But the main sonic difference is due to the overwound pups on the Super which drives my amp noticeably harder. This doesn't mean that it doesn't have sweet tones when played less loud. As it happened, the Super was my 'guitar of the week' and I was once more amazed at what variety of tones it can deliver (helped by its superb electronics).

The difference then between the Junior on the one hand and the Special is entirely related to materials and the chambered body. It feels compIetely different than any other ASAT's with its beefier neck but still very much sounds like a Special; maybe a tad mellower. Great guitar overall.

But you would have to do the experiment yourself which implies getting one. If you really want to go for the biggest difference, I would advice getting a Super. But that is just my opinion.

- Jos

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:40 am

Thanks so much for the input regarding the Junior & Super. Definitely the most useful information I've received regarding the 2 models, & very helpful in helping me choose which one to pick up down the road.

While the Junior is a beauty with a completely different feel, I only want (really want), but don't need a mellower ASAT. Now the Super, with its overwound MFDs, is something I could probably use, especially if it is capable of driving an amp harder & provides a variety of great sounds. I also really like the saddle-lock bridge. Both guitars have such classic looks to them, G&L meets 50s Gibson, I just need something to compliment my ASAT. Is it safe to say that the Super expands on your standard ASAT Special, & is capable of producing the same tones, but also much more? For now I'll have my eyes on a Super, but also a Guild S-100 and Starfire IV.

BTW, I checked out your collection & it is just astounding/amazing. I really enjoyed reading the stories behind some of your guitars, and also the history. & that G&L Commemorative is just awesome. Thanks again.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:21 am

MaxwellSilverHammer wrote:Is it safe to say that the Super expands on your standard ASAT Special, & is capable of producing the same tones, but also much more?

I would agree with that assessment but would remark that with the mahogany body the tones are slightly warmer by default. Overwound pups help you out in the 'warmer' department too. But it is not a completely different beast compared to the Special. Plenty of ground in common. All controls on the Super have excellent tapers and act beautifully. It is just an amazing guitar and just hope that you'd be able to find one as good as mine. And thanks for the compliments!

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:46 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
MaxwellSilverHammer wrote:Is it safe to say that the Super expands on your standard ASAT Special, & is capable of producing the same tones, but also much more?

I would agree with that assessment but would remark that with the mahogany body the tones are slightly warmer by default. That's where the overwound pups help you out. But it is not a completely different beast compared to the Special. Plenty of ground in common. All controls on the Super have excellent tapers and act beautifully. It is just an amazing guitar and just hope that you'd be able to find one as good as mine. And thanks for the compliments!

- Jos

Jos, how would overwound pickups help a warm guitar. The more wind you put on a pickup the darker/warmer it gets as is. Output may rise slightly, but there is no linear/direct proportionality there.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Sirmyghin, you're right. I didn't state myself as clear as I could and edited the original.

MaxwellSilverHammer, a long time back fellow board member Jim P chimed in on this very subject too. His post can be found here.

- Jos

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Sound- The Junior gets extra warmth from the chambered mahogany body and neck.

Feel - The Junior has a #1 neck that is a 12" radius. Very different feel from a normal ASAT Special with a #2 neck.

Note - If you want something that really sounds different, warmer, more versatile try the LE (GBL Limited Edition) made especially for users of this discussion page. Chambered mahogany body but with 3 small MFD pickups in a strat or Nashville type set up and with a polarity switch and 5 position pick up selector. Mine has the soft V #1 neck with 12" radius but they were issued with the neck preference of the original owner so be sure to inquire before buying.

I have many ASATS including the Junior and the LE. The LE is my most played along with one Legacy.