The ASAT has landed!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Purchased a 1990 ASAT last week and it arrived today :banana:
It appears to be ash (grain doesn't look like maple to me) with a natural finish, #2 neck with rosewood board, she plays nice, very resonant. She has a couple dings here and there but nothing major for a 20 year old guitar, the finish has aged very nicely and has a butterscotch blonde-ish tone to it, the neck pocket is ridiculously tight, ok enough talk on to the pics!

A little flame on the neck

Body date 5/31/90

Neck date 6/21/90

'90 & '04 ASATs, '66 Bandmaster, 2x10 cab I made out of a 60's Hammond organ

-Dave

Re: The ASAT has landed!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Awwww, that's a lovely looking ASAT Dave. The tiger striping on the back of the neck is awesome.

She looks like a great chunk of ash too. Is it heavy?

I once heard someone say that guitars still think they're trees until they're 20! So yours is now officially a guitar.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Very, very nice Dave. Black crinkle and all. Beautiful!

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks guys!
Blarg, I wasn't sure how I'd like the black crinkle, I always liked the look of it but the thought of a rough textured metal pickguard just didn't seem like something I'd like. It's great though! not as textured feeling as it looks and a lot more quiet than my other ASAT.

Phil, I haven't weighed her yet but she sure is a looker, a quick comparison of holding both guitars tells me she's in the 8 pound bracket, as my other asat is around 8.4lbs iirc. Not all that light but not terribly heavy either.

One thing to note is the neck says #2 which is supposedly the 7.5" radius but it feels a lot flatter than my blue asat. I don't know the radius of that neck because one of the neck screws went through the marking, I do know it is a "V" profile so it could only be 1d (12") or 2a (7.5"), just figured I'd throw that out there in case anyone has any incite on that. Maybe it's the different fretboard or the frets themselves?

Anyway, I'm going to try and get some A/B comparison clips up, Leo era vs BBE ASAT. It was something I was curious about when I was looking and found written descriptions but it'd be nice to have an actual sound comparison up. Still working on getting the guitar set up so it might be a couple days before it's posted.

-Dave