New G&L ASAT..

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:17 am

Hello, I've always been interested in the G&L ASAT guitar.. I passed up the chance to buy one 15 to 20 yrs ago.. I now own 2 Fender teles.. My question is : Can I expect the same overall quality from a new G&L ASAT as say, 15 to 20 yrs ago, or has it changed ?? (standard G&L, not Tribute series ) . It's pickups/sound, workmanship, and general quality of materials that I'm concerned about. Thanks for your advice.. Rich

Re: New G&L ASAT..

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:02 am

Hi Rich,
There are plenty of things that have been changed in the last 15-20 years. It depends what your sentiments are whether you consider these to be improvements ;)
  • George Fulerton's a patented 3-bolt neck attachment with Micro-Tilt has been replaced by a 4-bolt neck attachment.
  • The Bi-Cut neck has been replaced by a neck with a neck where the fingerboard is sliced off and a Non-Compression Truss rod is installed.
  • Necks are PLEK-ed nowadays
If you scan around this board you will find plenty of rousing endorsements on the quality and playability of modern day USA G&L's.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:12 am

guitarrich wrote: Can I expect the same overall quality from a new G&L ASAT as say, 15 to 20 yrs ago, or has it changed?

Welcome to the board, Rich.

As I understand it, less of the work it done by hand now than it was then. However, my older one (a '97) and newer ones feel to me to be of equal quality. There are no signs, IMO, that the standard of craftsmanship has fallen - the components, fit and finish quality are all first rate. A few of the older guys around here who were 'there' know more than I do on the matter, but they really are superb instruments and I'm certain you wouldn't be disappointed with a new one.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 am

I am not a G&L expert, but I do like to play. I have an '81 f-100 II and an early nineties ASAT, and an 08 ASAT Deluxe. The new guitars are every bit as high quality as the older ones. I prefer the older necks; but I would, I have played thousands of hours on them!

In my opinion you can buy G&L fearlessly, the quality is very reliable; and even new, I think they are a really good value. Having said that, I am cheap and have never bought a 'new' guitar. Yea, I am the second owner of the '08.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:38 pm

I have an 09 Asat Classic and I can say that the workmanship is flawless. I also played several 2010's last month at my
local dealer and the same goes for these.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:53 pm

I can't speak to the ASAT, but my 2008 Legacy is every bit the guitar as my previous Fenders and then some. I owned a 2007 Tele and a 1996 Strat both of which I really liked, but G&L IMO makes a more substantial instrument (e.g., I particularly prefer G&L's stock bridges and pickups). My Legacy sings and is very hard to put down (just ask my wife)! The only possible downside is that a Fender probably holds it value somewhat better than a G&L - all the more reason to buy a nice used G&L.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:49 pm

The 2006 Asat Classic Bluesboy I got 2 years ago, used but unplayed, learned me, that an electric guitar has not to be old, as my other G&Ls from 80s and 90s, for sounding extraordinary good.