post pictures of your binded fret board

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:35 pm

got some pics of your g&l's binded fret board ??? lets see em

Re: post pictures of your binded fret board

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:52 pm

I didn't know G&L offered a bound fret board?? Is this something peculiar to a particular model?

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:56 pm

mine is on my asat z-3

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:46 am

ASAT Special Deluxe Custom: http://www.metrousedguitar.com/images/cl/CLF49928/

Expecting delivery on 17th November.

Bill

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:58 am

see where i have circled the binding ???

on my neck binding i don't have the points at the end.

do the do the binding different on different guitars???

this picture (not my guitar) shows it better. see how at the end of the binding how it comes to a point? on my asat z-3 it does NOT have this. anyone know why the binding would be different???

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:41 am

I don't really know Jason. I'm sure Craig (Forum Admin and all-round G&L guru) will have an answer for that query. I suppose it all depends when your Z-3 was built? Maybe G&L changed the way they bind the necks? I'll check back later today to see if anyone has a good answer.

Bill

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:45 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:I didn't know G&L offered a bound fret board?? Is this something peculiar to a particular model?

Options available: http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/options/guitar.asp

Bill

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:49 am

Jason that looks like an oversight to me. Is the binding stock would be another question I would ask in that scenario. As you bought from a used site, it is possible someone have binding added somewhere along the way.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:29 am

jason wrote:do the[sic] do the binding different on different guitars???

Interesting question Jason, to which I don't have a good answer. I have only one guitar with fretboard binding and it shows the 'lips' too:

- Jos

Edit: fix image link after album was lost.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:38 am

i think i might know why it looks different.

my head stock is painted the same color as my body and it looks like the have painted over the very edge of the binding where it makes a point.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:12 pm

anyone??

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Is it causing a problem for you? My bound LP's end by wrapping around the nut itself. Binding may have changed since they moved from the bi-cut neck design. If it poses no playability issues, let it go...

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 pm

jason wrote:i think i might know why it looks different.

my head stock is painted the same color as my body and it looks like the have painted over the very edge of the binding where it makes a point.

Jason,

It would help if you could post a closeup of the binding of your Z-3 at the top near the nut and headstock.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:11 pm

replyman wrote:Is it causing a problem for you? My bound LP's end by wrapping around the nut itself. Binding may have changed since they moved from the bi-cut neck design. If it poses no playability issues, let it go...

His Z-3 is not a new one. It has a CLxxxxx serial number, and it was built in 1998. So, it would still have the bi-cut
neck.