Custom Order Question

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:32 pm

I'm interested in ordering a USA Rampage. However, I'm curious if you can order it in a different finish besides the three choices offered on G&L's website. I know you can't change the options since the Rampage is now a Signature model, and I know other companies don't allow changes to signature model's. Also, does anyone know if the new models have the oiled/raw neck like the originals, or do they have the satin finish like the current tribute model?

Any help is appreciated
Dave

Re: Custom Order Question

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:30 pm

RampageFan wrote:I'm interested in ordering a USA Rampage. However, I'm curious if you can order it in a different finish besides the three choices offered on G&L's website. I know you can't change the options since the Rampage is now a Signature model, and I know other companies don't allow changes to signature model's. Also, does anyone know if the new models have the oiled/raw neck like the originals, or do they have the satin finish like the current tribute model?

Any help is appreciated
Dave

It is only offered in those three colors (Whiskey, Ivory and Black).
You might ask your G&L dealer to see if they can special order one in a different color, but
it is a Signature model, so there may be contractual obligations which don't allow any changes.
Your dealer should be able to find out for you.

The neck is a satin finish.

Hope this helps.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:23 am

If you really, really want the raw finish but they wont give it to you, you can always do it yourself with $2 worth of sandpaper and a bit of elbow grease.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:20 am

The neck on my USA has such a thin satin finish I find it no better or worse than my tung oiled carvin necks.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:27 am

It is only offered in those three colors (Whiskey, Ivory and Black).
You might ask your G&L dealer to see if they can special order one in a different color, but
it is a Signature model, so there may be contractual obligations which don't allow any changes.
Your dealer should be able to find out for you.

The neck is a satin finish.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Thanks for the response Craig. That's what I was thinking, but I saw a new Rampage in the yellow fever finish and black headstock that had already been sold at Guitar Works. It looked great. They said they thought it was a prototype.

Thanks again,
Dave

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:36 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:If you really, really want the raw finish but they wont give it to you, you can always do it yourself with $2 worth of sandpaper and a bit of elbow grease.

I've actually been researching how to strip the neck and apply the tru-oil. I've come across a vintage Invader that's on consignment at a local shop. It plays great, but it has a pretty crappy paint job and a very strange looking locking nut (Not the graph tech locking nut). Everything else is original. It was originally yellow, but now it's a very sloppy black. They actually painted around the G&L logo, so there's a yellow square left on the headstock around the logo! I made an offer based on the condition. If they accept my offer I want to refinish it and probably sand and oil the neck like the old Rampage.

Thanks,
Dave

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:47 am

sirmyghin wrote:The neck on my USA has such a thin satin finish I find it no better or worse than my tung oiled carvin necks.

Thanks for that info. When I order the USA, I will just leave it alone. When I came across this website and was lurking, I read some of your post about your Carvin and actually looked them up based on what you've posted about it! They are still making some great looking guitars!

Thanks,
Dave