When is it worth buying new rather than used?

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:27 pm

I’ve been looking at buying a second Legacy in an SSH configuration to fill the sonic territory between my current Legacy with vintage output SCs and my Les Paul Studio. At first I assumed I’d buy used. But there aren’t many SSH Legacy’s out there at the moment, and none in the type of finish I want.

There are some SSS Legacy’s that would work, but by the time I get an SSH pickguard, the pickup itself and I put locking tuning machines on it, it’s really within $200-$300 of ordering one to my specs through a local dealer. Plus then I can get a Graph-Tech nut! :D

So, at what cost point would YOU buy new over used? You get an untouched guitar with full warranty, you get EXACTLY what you want, something that just came off the PLEK machine, and the new GFS Vibrato and non-compression Truss Rod. Is that worth $200 more? $300 more?

Re: When is it worth buying new rather than used?

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:52 pm

It sounds to me like you've logically talked yourself into a new one! (Ain't nothing wrong with that.)

Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Muleya wrote:IThere are some SSS Legacy’s that would work, but by the time I get an SSH pickguard, the pickup itself and I put locking tuning machines on it, it’s really within $200-$300 of ordering one to my specs through a local dealer. Plus then I can get a Graph-Tech nut! :D

So, at what cost point would YOU buy new over used? You get an untouched guitar with full warranty, you get EXACTLY what you want, something that just came off the PLEK machine, and the new GFS Vibrato and non-compression Truss Rod. Is that worth $200 more? $300 more?

Here's an itemised bill:

New vibrato - $60
Plek setup - $180 (includes return postage to wherever the Plek machine is)
Pick guard - $40
Pickup - $100
New nut (filed and fitted) - $50
Locking tuners - $60
S/H Legacy - $SHL
TOTAL: $490 + SHL

That's almost $500 worth of stuff according to my estimates. Go new! What finish are you getting?
Last edited by blargfromouterspace on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:47 pm

I could have gotten a used WR but I not only look at price but also how
long do I intend to own the guitar. If I were getting an asat classic for a
specific album or project I'd go used. If it were my dream guitar and within
$500 different, then I go new, not to mention lay a way or same as cash
financing etc..

Acception to the rule.. any time a thousand dollar or more item is within
$200 for new compared to used I go with the new one. Dealers and
manufacturers are great to deal with when there is any issue on a new
item, when it's used they will help with tech support but not with major
issues because they don't know what the guy before you did of if he
might have built one from parts.

All dealers/manufacturers are like this otherwise they'd
have every nut in the country calling to get free stuff/help etc....

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:13 pm

Blarg - If I bought used, I probably wouldn't upgrade the vibrato, and wouldn't even consider a Plek job until it was ready for a fret job. But that is an interesting comparison, especially in terms of what you get with a new guitar! I'll be getting the Cherryburst finish...while I love the tobacco burst on my current G&L, I've always wanted a nice Cherryburst guitar.

Chris - You basically hit the nail on the head...this is a dream guitar. I'm finally at that point with my gear that I've got the amps I want and a couple of great guitars. Now it's time to get something nice...reasonable, but nice! I did that with my acoustic almost 10 years ago now...ordered a Taylor 414CE with upgraded electronics...not an expensive Taylor by any means, but it's still the most I've ever paid for a guitar...including this G&L I'm ordering! But these are guitars I don't ever plan to sell!

As an added bonus, there is a G&L dealer here locally that is committed to matching the pricing of the big on-line retailers...and he's also a great guy. He started carrying G&L and year or two ago...just stocks the Tributes as there's not much of a market for the higher end guitars in this area, but he's more than happy to order for me! And I can pick it up in the shop! :thumbup:

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Agreed with all those above me. Something else I consider when looking at G&L specifically is that you can pick the exact guitar you want and it's not only a reasonable price but almost seems too good to be true. If I tried with most other companies it would be ridiculous what I would pay. Their standard models are the price of essentially a custom guitar. Just a thought

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:06 pm

chedwerks wrote:Agreed with all those above me. Something else I consider when looking at G&L specifically is that you can pick the exact guitar you want and it's not only a reasonable price but almost seems too good to be true. If I tried with most other companies it would be ridiculous what I would pay. Their standard models are the price of essentially a custom guitar. Just a thought

That's what I took into account when I ordered my new ASAT a couple of weeks ago. $$$-wise, it's such a good deal, new, and the craftsmanship is consistently great (I have yet to play a G&L that I didn't love).
I've bought one other guitar, mail order and new: a MusicMan Silhouette, back in the early '90s. It's a great guitar.
My personal feeling about used vs new guitars is that the acoustics are more of a gamble, new, than the electrics. There are probably a lot of luthiers out there who would disagree with that...but acoustics tend to age differently. Some shine and some wane. Especially the nylon stringed ones.