I'm back and G&L session activity

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:07 am

Okay, okay, I've been away for a while. No excuses.

I recently (and finally) had my 1999 S-500 set up by my luthier and it now plays marvelously. As a result, when I needed Strat-ish sounds for the latest album project I worked on, the s-500 was my go-to. I used it for parts on two songs on the album which has just come out (well, at least the label has put it up on iTunes and Amazon - my hard copies of the CDs should arrive tomorrow). I played about 80% of the guitar parts on the album, did about half of the recording engineering, and mixed the album, and that's how I appeared in the credits. We sent the mixes off to Geoffe Pesche at Abbey Road for mastering. Here are a couple of G&L clips for you:

I Will Not Fear the Fire The initial lead is a Gretsch lap steel and the rhythm chord lead at :48 are the S-500 that is listed in the registry and gallery. Both guitars appear throughout the song.

Heart of Worship The intro guitar figure is the S-500. In the middle of the overdub session for this figure, I suddenly had a flash, looked up at the studio monitors, and said, "Oh my gosh, I am channeling Joe Walsh, here."

Clips from Cool Worship with Deborah Rosenkranz, copyright 2010, 3:16 Media.

So, anyway, I thought you'd be interested in hearing that one of our long-time registry guitars here on the G&L DP was used on an album. I've also been using it on scoring sessions, but it isn't as easy to point to those products.

Bob

Re: I'm back and G&L session activity

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:33 am

Those are some great tones! Thanks for sharing.

Re: I'm back and G&L session activity

Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Nice tones. The opening gretsch solo has that Ronnie Montrose feel to it. I really like the tone you are getting out of that S500.

RickT