ASAT III middle p.u. microphonics

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:24 pm

My ASAT III's middle single coil (M.F. & rev. wound) has been increasingly microphonic over the last 3 yrs. (it's a 1996) Put pickup selector in #3 position, tap pick directly on top of p.u... at string 6, quiet, at the A, quiet.. but after that, noise increases.. much of the pickguard is now capturing my pick & fingertip noise. Slight attentuation
in positions #2 & #4. (it's the middle one that's doing this)
HOW to treat or fix this? Any & all experience is Most Welcome. Thanks!

Re: ASAT III middle p.u. microphonics

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:51 pm

I've just had a neck pickup repaired on my 1997 S-500. I believe my MFD pickups are the same as in your ASAT III. The S-500 pickups have always transmitted mechanical noise e.g. activating a push/pull pot will produce a 'clunk' through the pickups. I always thought of it as a special G&L 'feature'.

Anyway, the luthier wax potted the neck pickup as part of the repair and now it is silent compared to the other two. I'm thinking of getting the other two pickups potted now. If you have a look at the mid-90's pickups there's not much work done to shield or protect them compared with, say, a Seymour Duncan pickup which is built to withstand a nuclear blast. I'm not sure if the newer MFD's are more robust.

If you're brave you can try wax potting yourself. Here's a link: http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/ele ... /index.php

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:26 pm

doninco7 wrote:My ASAT III's middle single coil (M.F. & rev. wound) has been increasingly microphonic over the last 3 yrs. (it's a 1996) Put pickup selector in #3 position, tap pick directly on top of p.u... at string 6, quiet, at the A, quiet.. but after that, noise increases.. much of the pickguard is now capturing my pick & fingertip noise. Slight attentuation
in positions #2 & #4. (it's the middle one that's doing this)
HOW to treat or fix this? Any & all experience is Most Welcome. Thanks!

I just posted My MFD went massively microphonic! Suggestions? in the G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum.

Also, check this related post in the same sub-forum: How do I fix MFD bridge pickup squealing problem?.

Hope this helps.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:40 am

The only solution is to send it to me..heck I will even pay the shipping! :)