problems with GL asat classic bridge

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:01 am

Hello
I havve had some problems with my gl asat classic bridge. the screws got loose, and so I had to put underneath some supportive elements:
http://picasaweb.google.pl/losburrakos/ ... directlink
yet, i have to replace it
I'm looking for decent bridge, but somehow Im afraid of buying the original one, cause I don't want to have the same problem soon.
maybe there are any other bridges that would fit it without any additional drilling, maybe with a different solutions?
any ideas?
Thanks a lot for any help
Michal

Re: problems with GL asat classic bridge

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:30 am

Michal, are the screws mounting the bridge plate to the body loose or are the saddle height adjustment screws stripped?--- Darwin

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 pm

That looks like a very strange problem. If I'm right, it looks like the screws used to adjust the saddle height have come loose. I've not read about that happening before. If this is the case then you don't need to replace the whole bridge, just the saddles. Any brand you buy will fit - as long as they're six saddle types. You can replace the whole bridge assembly if you wish too - just be sure that the replacement you buy is secured to the body with 4 screws - there are some which use 3.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:00 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:If I'm right, it looks like the screws used to adjust the saddle height have come loose.

definitely that is what happened while I was playing concert. I asked the previous owner, and he told me that the whole bridge is new, but judging by the way it looks I really doubt it.
anyway, I think I will follow your advice and just change the saddles.
thank you very much for your answers
Michal

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:29 am

Not only is this not a common problem, it's unheard of.
Sounds like someone has been messing with the saddle screws without knowing what they were doing. Even if only one of the two screws per saddle is making contact, that one will not loosen on a tuned guitar. It will however possibly strip the threads. If someone tried to replace the adjustment screw with ones from the wrong year, they are stripped.
Yep, someones been there and done some damage. The type of bridge is not the problem. Just replace the saddles. They come with the right adjustment screws and usually with the installation screw/spring.
You might want to mention to the "previous owner" next time have a guitar tech do the adjustments.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 am

SJG wrote: You might want to mention to the "previous owner" next time have a guitar tech do the adjustments.

so very true!
and you may think that guy is/was a good friend of mine...
life
anyway, i already learnt about Gotoh Wilkinson saddles - apparently giving amazing sound, so probably will try these
all best to you
Michal

Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:01 am

FYI, G&L provides replacement bridges in their Online store. I do not know what shipping to Poland adds to the price. You might indeed be better off trying to find just replacement saddles.

- Jos

Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:16 am

Thanks for that info!
i