Commanche vs Legacy

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:24 am

I'm just curious as to why the Commanche's are so much pricier than the Legacy. There is the obvious difference in pickups and electronics, and I see they have a Graphtec nut, but that doesn't seem like enough to warrant such a drastic pricing difference.

So what's the deal? Do they have higher quality woods and finishes?

Re: Commanche vs Legacy

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:32 pm

i own both and they are completely different animals.

the fit and finish on the Comanche is noticeable. it has better quality wood, the finish is another step up from the Legacy, and the sounds you have available to you are MUCH more broad ranged. the Comanche is just on another level as far as guitars go.
the Comanche's controls seem to have a much bigger range of dynamics. it has a lot to do with the Z coil pickups. they are dead quiet and cover all the territories i need to get to.

the Legacy is a great guitar, don't get me wrong. the PTB system along with the standard strat set up is pretty awe inspiring for me to play. the PTB system is not nearly as "active".

the Comache feels like a "custom shop" guitar. the Legacy is like an American Strat but better.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:02 pm

guitarman_nebr wrote:i own both and they are completely different animals.

the fit and finish on the Comanche is noticeable. it has better quality wood, the finish is another step up from the Legacy

The factory does not use different wood selection for Comanches over Legacys. They are all built the same way using
the same woods and finishes.

I see a lot of Comanches which have the optional Maple cap with a Premium finish, which is an upcharge.

Hope this helps.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Okay, yeah, that makes sense, then.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:33 pm

I have 16 G&Ls--absolutely NO difference in fit and finish and parts quality among any of the Legacy-boded guitars. When pricing, you have to make sure you're comparing options directly--ash vs. alder vs. maple-cap, tuners, nuts, etc.

But the quality is great all the way through!

Bill