Really, this should have been stopped at the QC check

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:41 pm

I got this second hand from from original owner, ordered from Gl. I was pretty confident that at the price point of $900 given my previous experience with a S-500 usa, that it would be a fool proof deal, without even looking very hard or asking too many questions. After all that is what legendary quality is about right?

Well it came the other day, and I am a little regretful. I wasn't expecting a factory project, but here it lies. I understand there is no real recourse to subsequent owners, claim warranty? Anybody? :happy0007:

I been spending a load of time at the warmoth site, I ordered a fresh gotoh flat bridge plate, as it will have enough meat to cover the impressions left by the asat saddle once I recenter the bridge. It WILL require me to actually remove some body wood to allow the PU to come down 3/16 "

The Body is shiny enough black nitro and shows prints like its covered in oil. the headstock appears to actually have no coatings, just buffed maple.

I investiagted further and do see an actual GL factory stamp under the clearcoat its under the neck PU. There is some semblance of a routing tag under the bridge which is partially visible. The GL logo appears to be screened on which is good, and the SN appears to be a water slide.

I am thinking about getting a aftermarket body and selling this one. After all it is GL and a factory first, and still un marred.

I owned a Deluxe ASAT trib before and it was better than this one......

I wonder how that would affect the value considering I have all the legitimate documentation? Ok heres the slide show......

really! that is how it shipped ???

GL Are you Listening?????

Thanks.

Re: Really, this should have been stopped at the QC check

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:35 pm

This appears to be a very recent build based on the serial number. It appears that the neck is not aligned properly in the neck pocket, the gap across the bottom of the neck doesn't look right. It looks to me like it is not all the way in the pocket. If the neck were aligned properly in the neck pocket the strings should center on the neck. If you loosen the neck screws a bit can you move the neck to center the strings? I cannot imagine a new guitar being sold like this. I would ask the previous owner what he had done. The neck should be in the bottom of the neck pocket and snug on both sides. The headstock looks like satin finish to me. I hope you can work this out with the person you bought it from. I would ask him if he had removed the neck. If that isn't the issue it has to be the bridge plate alignment. It looks okay at the nut. -- Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:38 pm

From the look of the neck pick-up rout that guitar looks like it came (or was routed for) with a large MFD which would make it a ASAT Classic Custom. Check out these images for an example:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&expIds=25657,26637,26992,27182&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=asat+classic+custom&cp=14&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1269&bih=707

Is that the neck pick-up it came with? In any event I would definitely talk to the seller.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:54 am

+1 on that being a classic custom.

That neck looks like its taken a serious blow at some point - or is that just the picture? I looks like it isn't on even which is causing the misalignment. Do you have any pictures of the back of the neck, where it meets the body?

It could be that at some point the previous owner had a bit of a mishap then carried out a bodgey repair job himself.

Best of luck getting it sorted out. If it's unplayable try and get your money back.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:51 am

+2 on the classic custom, the larger 3 screw route means soapbar in the neck. (which is obviously not there anymore).

I think the previous owner has some stuff he isn't telling you.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:33 am

No way I personally would lay that at G & L's door.
I've had mine all apart for tinkering and the level of care in the areas you can't see is
as good as any I've seen.
Very likely the guy you got it from has not been straight you you.
FWIW, I've had US Fender Tele's that required a bridge shift to line up with the neck.
And as far a no finish on the headstock....I'm sure it's sealed and finished.
The satin finish on my ASAT Deluxe is very smooth and looks like raw wood but it's not.
The neck is very stable which tells me it's sealed well...not to mention it
feels great to play.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:35 am

Hey everyone its me George. Thanks for all that insight, I really appreciate the time and response. I hadnt touched the neck yet cause the screws are really tight, and I havent quite decided what to do so I want to avoid having to repair my own work if I worked over the screw heads for example.

anyways, I could post more photos, but I see clearly that the neck aligns perfectly with the body cut. It is as though the neck to body is precisly aligned with the ever-so-fine gap that could have only been machine clamped.

In other words, even if there was enough slack to move the neck it would be clearly a misalignment with the body. Secondly I did not show the bridge plate against the pick guard. From stock photos the plate is centered in the cutout.

Mine has an obvious shift the bridge plate (along with route out) and all its belongings are 3/16 off-set to the top of the guitar almost touching the top most of the pickguard cutaway.

So I dont think it was abused by prev owner. He just simply was not discerning enough or didnt care and passed it off.

Thanks jazzrat for the info. I wonder if the finish is nitrocell, or poly. I am thinking of sending the neck out for a poly gloss face lift. I wonder what paint shops might touch that?

I guess I will give a call to GL, and will follow up next step. I dont think I shown it but the body has a unique wood reveal front edge binding. Kind a pretty.

Geo.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:36 am

+3 on the Classic Custom. In addition, it is unlikely that the black finish is nitro. As far as I know, G&L uses Butterscotch Blonde or Fullerton Red nitro finishes on the ASAT Classic Rustic and Blonde or Lake Placid Blue on the Legacy Rustic. Furthermore, this is where a good/reasonable Customer Service department might reach the undesired outcome: if you have lost your COA, they are willing to provide you with a replacement. If this is a parts guitar, which I suspect it is, then having at least an original neck with a serial number will allow you to get a replacement COA basically giving credence to something that isn't kosher.

As always: caveat emptor

- Jos

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:44 pm

gaustin wrote:Hey everyone its me George. Thanks for all that insight, I really appreciate the time and response. I hadnt touched the neck yet cause the screws are really tight, and I havent quite decided what to do so I want to avoid having to repair my own work if I worked over the screw heads for example.

anyways, I could post more photos, but I see clearly that the neck aligns perfectly with the body cut. It is as though the neck to body is precisly aligned with the ever-so-fine gap that could have only been machine clamped.

In other words, even if there was enough slack to move the neck it would be clearly a misalignment with the body. Secondly I did not show the bridge plate against the pick guard. From stock photos the plate is centered in the cutout.

Mine has an obvious shift the bridge plate (along with route out) and all its belongings are 3/16 off-set to the top of the guitar almost touching the top most of the pickguard cutaway.

So I dont think it was abused by prev owner. He just simply was not discerning enough or didnt care and passed it off.

Thanks jazzrat for the info. I wonder if the finish is nitrocell, or poly. I am thinking of sending the neck out for a poly gloss face lift. I wonder what paint shops might touch that?

I guess I will give a call to GL, and will follow up next step. I dont think I shown it but the body has a unique wood reveal front edge binding. Kind a pretty.

Geo.

There is no way that the guitar in that conition would have left the factory. The previous owner must have removed the neck and did not seat it properly. If not seated correctly, it can be off
that much. Remove the remaining strings, loosen the screws and reseat the neck in the neck pocket. Did you remove the neck pickup cover? There should be one. Do you have a picture
of the whole guitar with all parts on it? Like others have said, that it an ASAT Classic Custom not an ASAT Deluxe as you have registered in our G&L Registry.

If the body finish is nitro, then it was done aftermarket and not done at the factory. The stock finish is Poly. The headstock decals and serial number are water slides and installed on the
headstock prior to the neck finish being applied. The finish on the neck is a Satin Poly finish. The binding on the body is called wood binding and is a masked out area of the body edge
when the body color is applied. It is then unmasked and after final sandings, the Poly finish is applied over the whole body.

In my opinion, you got a used guitar which was not properly taken care of and not one that left the factory in that condition.

Hope this helps.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:35 am

Two things:

1) If it were me, I'd be talking to the guy I bought it from looking for my money back (or at least a significant partial refund) since he misrepresented what he was selling you. If he was really the original owner, he pulled a BS move on you by not revealing that he'd modified the guitar.

2) As far as seating the neck properly, G&L recommends you tune the guitar to pitch and then loosen the neck screws ever so slightly. The tension should pull the neck snug into the pocket. The neck screws should be snug, but if, as you claim, you can't get them loose, something's definitely not right there. For that matter, assuming you can get the neck off, it would be interesting to know if the neck and body date stamps are even in the same ballpark. If they're wildly off, it's more evidence of this being a parts guitar rather than a modded original.

Either way, you paid a pretty premium price for something that's not what you thought it was when you bought it. No offense, but I'm not sure why you're so willing to let the seller off the hook and shift the blame to the factory. QC oversights happen, but I agree with the others here: There's absolutely no way that guitar left Fullerton in that condition.

Huh?

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:41 am

I suppose I'm weird, but I personally prefer a little string "misalignment" with the 1st string away from the edge of the fingerboard. A lot of blues guys will purposefully set up their guitars like that so that the high E doesn't slip off the fingerboard so easily.

To fix the problem, I would simply put a shim in the neck pocket to push the neck towards the treble side. Loosen the neck screws & strings first. It's not a difficult job.

And remember, this was bought second hand, so you don't know exactly what the guitar went thru before you bought it.

My 2¢
WR

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:57 am

I agree with H-Dog. With a little effort that could be a nice guitar. However, that is not the responsibility of the factory...

Cheers,

Will

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:56 am

Hey All its me George. I feel like I am creating an insurrection, but its not my intention, so bear with me. I think I will bring it over to my trusted dealer who is a gl dealer. I know as incredible as it seems, and I am in "our" camp, it find it hard to believe this would have shipped. I swear all the positions are what they are. you can see the wood inside the holes, etc.... The bridge is screwed down and there is tension on the strings. Will update as I find more. I know this sounds kind a strange but I think its the florence the nighting gale effect, now I have to make this guitar right...... jjeeeshsh.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm no expert on ASATs - far from it - but I googled for some images of ASAT bridges because something didn't look right about how the strings are going over those saddles. There seem to be a few different kinds of bridges that were used on these guitars. I wonder if the bridge assembly (including the big chrome mounting plate) was replaced with the wrong type. The mounting holes might line up, but the saddles will be shifted over some.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Is that the bridge pickup screwed into the neck position? When/if you sort it out that will be a nice Classic Custom; you will have just paid "new" pricing for it... Good luck!

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:15 pm

replyman wrote:Is that the bridge pickup screwed into the neck position?

Doubtful - the pickup wiring color would be red and yellow if it were the bridge pickup. The green and yellow wiring on
the pickup indicates it is a soapbar MFD neck pickup. The pickup cover is missing and the current
owner has not said whether or not it was included when he got the guitar.

I'd like to see a picture of the guitar from the seller's ad or when the current owner first received it.

Just my $ 0.02.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Its all there, obviously these views are the forensic version. Everything is all included and was at least bolted down. I removed these parts as I was investigating. The condition is new. Just the omitted part about the quack in the saddle alignment.

All you have to know is that people run machines. I used to be a Quality Engineer in a previous life before that industry went SOB. Machines need maintenance/tooling/repairs/oil/grease and programming. There is no such thing as set and forget it. If you ever worked in a machine shop this is not so mysterious.

All that is the point is whether GL will deal with me or through channels that will virtually mean I will lose the guitar. I dropped it off at Union Music In Worcester Mass. Trust me when I say this is one of the old-school shops where they take the time to care about the customer Carl Kamp is genuine sweetheart of a man 3rd generation owner. I put I trust in this hands completely that whatever can be done will be done.

shout out to UM! http://www.unionmusic.com

I just hope that the Powers that be at GL will do the right thing and help us all keep the current disruption to a minimum and show the world that they are a class act. I mean what would George and Leo say?

I have the old ebay ad and of course it has a shameless mint description. It is after all brande-new. It really is 1-2 months owned, minted 5/12/2010.

I have been in contact with the old owner and he is aware of the issue and is offering to be of some assistance which includes eating it.

This guitar went to a mail order distributer asylumguitars.com who never bothered to inspect it. It was sold to a guy who I am guessing with a severe case of buyers' remorse stowed it away for a few weeks and then finally let it go on ebay. Unlcear why it wasnt returned. Who knows those circumstances.

Anyways this is my 3rd gl, and I figured well mint, what else is there to worry about its a GL. Wrong.

I have taken to making my grand opening guitar cases to the back in secret private now because of the holloweenish theme to my guitar buying expereinces lately. People have a way of embellishing the posisitve and omitting the negative.

I had a guy tell me how great a epihone was, and how it was made at this better factory, and so on, and when I got it there where odd colored flecks in the clear finish. You have to be very very careful, or just dont buy on-line any more.

Still waiting to hear the verdict.

BTW- my wife passed the MASS bar today !!! :clap:

George out.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:19 pm

gaustin wrote:All you have to know is that people run machines. I used to be a Quality Engineer in a previous life before that industry went SOB. Machines need maintenance/tooling/repairs/oil/grease and programming. There is no such thing as set and forget it. If you ever worked in a machine shop this is not so mysterious.

Yup. And all you have to know here is that the programmed machines that could possibly have this effect are only used to rough out the bodies and necks. Aside from the PLEK, everything else is done the old fashioned way - by hand. There are a lot of hands that the instrument would have to pass through in the factory, from the CNC operator to the guy that puts it in a case and boxes it up for shipment. The assembled instrument would have to have passed through at least a couple of craftsmen's hands before being boxed up and shipped out, and one of those craftsman is the one that did the setup. Too many people had hands on the guitar for something like this to have been missed.

No. This guitar would not have left Fullerton in this condition. Especially with Steve Grom running the show at the factory.

I just hope that the Powers that be at GL will do the right thing and help us all keep the current disruption to a minimum and show the world that they are a class act. I mean what would George and Leo say?

And the right thing would be what? If you have all the case candy, you should also have the warranty card which states that the warranty is for the original purchaser and that proof of original purchase from an authorized G&L dealer is required. Your instrument, as you've described its path to you, even if a week old, is out of warranty. My opinion is that your only standing is with the eBay seller you bought the guitar from. This is not G&L's issue.

I have been in contact with the old owner and he is aware of the issue and is offering to be of some assistance which includes eating it.

And I think you should take him up on that. Cut your losses and call it a day.

This guitar went to a mail order distributer asylumguitars.com who never bothered to inspect it. It was sold to a guy who I am guessing with a severe case of buyers' remorse stowed it away for a few weeks and then finally let it go on ebay. Unlcear why it wasnt returned. Who knows those circumstances.

Anyways this is my 3rd gl, and I figured well mint, what else is there to worry about its a GL. Wrong.

No point in anyone second-guessing what happened to this guitar in its travels. FWIW, this appears to be a classic case of an eBay deal gone sour. Sorry you're on the losing end, but it is your end and not G&L's.

BTW- my wife passed the MASS bar today !!!

I hope she does well out there on the right coast.

Best of luck to you.

Ken...

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:15 pm

+1 to Ken's comments.

Well, I found the eBay auction and here is a picture from it:

It certainly looks like it was fine when this picture was taken, so clearly
it left the factory in perfect condition. You can check the other photos
in the auction for yourself, auction link is G&L ASAT CLASSIC CUSTOM 2010 MINT!!! USA made.
I see no evidence to show a factory problem with this guitar.

So, the good news is that the dealer you plan to take it to, should have no
trouble putting it back together and setting it up to factory specs, as long as
the original factory parts are intact and no one tried relocating the bridge and or neck.

Hope it works out for you.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Those photos are very low-quality, and it's hard to tell the state of the guitar based on the photos alone(for me, at least).

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:14 pm

steevlak wrote:Those photos are very low-quality, and it's hard to tell the state of the guitar based on the photos alone(for me, at least).

They are clear enough to see that the string alignment was correct and therefore, the guitar left the factory in an as expected condition. What happened to
it after those pictures were taken, is certainly not clear. My point is that, barring any major mods or radical changes by one of the three owners, the guitar should be
able to be put back together close to it's factory condition.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Good find Craig, another tip should have been that auction says compound 9.5-14" radius.
Not to mention the buyer mentioned detuning it to ship (unnecessary possibly even detrimental). The first screams BS, the other lack of knowledge about guitars.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:41 am

I have a large collection (over 100 guitars) including 20+ G&Ls. I have seen these problems with both Fenders and G&Ls -l lot of them. A lot of people pop the necks off guitars to have a peek not realizing that it can affect the neck alignment. Shipping can cause the neck to shift as well. What I see from your photos:

1. The neck needs to be aligned - String it up, Tune it up, then gently loosen the neck screws and align the neck by hand. This is how it is done at the factory.
2. The bridge may need aligning also. I have one newer ASAT with a funky bridge alignment. I've never gotten it perfect. It was sloppy work at the factory.
I also have a Fender Esquire that I bought from someone who lived in the desert and stored the guitar on a wall. When I got it the body was so dried out the bridge had shifted because the screws would no longer tighten to the body. I had to disassemble that one and leave it in a case with humidifier for a month in order to get the body to stabilize - all is well now.

I rarely buy ebay guitars because I rarely, if ever, find one that does not have undisclosed problems. I am fortunate to have been taught guitar repair by some of the true masters of the craft. Anytime I buy a used instrument I automatically assume it will require a complete tear-down and rebuild. That is not always the case but I figure it as part of the risk in buying used.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:20 pm

I would have to completely agree.. I have a 23" monitor and you can see the 6'th string clearly crossing the center of the pole in the neck pickup. I've had it happen before when someone dropped a case while holding it by it's handle. It causes the neck to shift slightly in the pocket. remeber a sixteenth of an inch in the neck pocket is over a half inch at the nut... I hope it works out well for you, that is a very cool looking guitar....

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:38 pm

yeah yeah!!! I see you guys. especially the squire comparison......., and the seller was a dope, true. (not sure about the buyer), Weird situation....well here is the update.

I got the Gotoh bridge to make sure it would work before figuring out what to do. It will install perfectly and will be a nice upgrade over the standard actually a nice beefy plate. I think later I will checkout the graphtech saddles and bronze screws maybe. That would look sharp.

At this point I offered the seller to return it, or to give me cash break, and he took the cash fix. So I own this 4 month old guitar for half price from $1250. I ordered sperzel locking tuners they will be a perfect fit, I just think they are cool. And a new pickguard, just for the colors of it from pickguard heaven. I think they make the Oems for GL.

If you were to look closely at the leading edge of the original asat saddle there was some real scratches from a burr under the leading metal edge. That goes for the pickguard as well, burrs and no real attempt to smooth the edges on the parts before installing, leaving traces of the pickguard outline also, Im sure its a common problem.

Anyways. I am filling in that surface defect that the old saddle was hiding, with poly and planeing that down in layers. Even if I dont do a great job it will still be hard to see in the 1/8 inch gap between the saddle and the pickguard. It is in the picture above. barley visible until you re (move) the saddle.

I am glossing up the front surface of the headstock with the same poly. It is the rub on, and is going very well. will have about 4-5 layers when done. The critisism there is now you can detect the machine swirls in the headstock that were hidden by the factory flat sealer. Several layers and levelings will dress that up.

(I already paid my dues a wrecked a couple (cheap test) guitars. I hope this works! So far I am pleased with it.)

Oh! and I will be dowling and moving the saddle to compensate. This should be pretty straight forward. The string holes just need tp be reamed a bit. That new sting anchor plate thingy pops out the back and this will be very clean easy tweak.

It is soooo obvious that if I were to shim the neck the needed 2-3 degrees, even the pickguard would not fit on........It would be a visual messy fix with a wacky gap, the way the neck is set now is really great. Thats about the only thing thats straight on this guitar.

Will post pictures next week when its finished and shined up.

George

George

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:00 am

That is quite the project George, looking forward to it. Glad the seller came around (even if it took a bit of bat waving).

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:14 am

So, I take it that you decided not to have the G&L dealer set it up, right? Wonder why you decided against having
them do it?

Oh! and I will be dowling and moving the saddle to compensate. This should be pretty straight forward.
The string holes just need tp be reamed a bit. That new sting anchor plate thingy pops out the back and this
will be very clean easy tweak.

Sorry, but I am not following this, it makes no sense to me :confused0007:

It is soooo obvious that if I were to shim the neck the needed 2-3 degrees, even the pickguard would not
fit on........It would be a visual messy fix with a wacky gap, the way the neck is set now is really great. Thats
about the only thing thats straight on this guitar.

So, did the neck seat into the neck pocket after stringing the guitar up, loosen the neck screws a tad
and then tightening them? Or did you do some mod?

Will post pictures next week when its finished and shined up.
George

Looking forward to the pictures.

Thanks for posting an update.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:38 am

avalonpb wrote:I have a large collection (over 100 guitars) including 20+ G&Ls. I have seen these problems with both Fenders and G&Ls -l lot of them. A lot of people pop the necks off guitars to have a peek not realizing that it can affect the neck alignment.

I suggested on this forum that it's not smart to take the neck off a bolt-on guitar for the sole purpose of "seeing what's under there." As I recall, the majority of posters thought my advice was way too cautious. :|

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:55 pm

OK- here she is. I am now officially proud of my ASAT classic custom in basic black. I moved the saddle down 1/8". After the tear down and set up, I can confidently say that there was never any way a simple neck tweak would fix that, I can get maybe a 1/32" of fine tune at the 22nd fret the neck joint assembly just doesn't have that much wiggle room.

But so much for that discussion; I feel bad for the people who are being victimized by this obviously faulty production lot. I just wish that the people who are so quick to blindly defend G&L, be a little more objective, and actually acknowledge that there probably was a production error "somewhere". This wasnt some mysterious bump during shipping that is causing these very expensive defective guitars to be shipped to some very disappointed customers.

here are the pics,

I installed sperzel locking tuners, and the pegs fit perfectly. The Gotoh Bridge has adjustment all the way down to the fret wire, the action is supurb. The fit and finsh speaks for itself.

I put on gloss poly on the headstock, it looks fabulous, and adds a brings out the patina. I cant seem to get the camera to give a good look unfortunately.

The only thing not showing is the new pickguard, which I dont know exactly when it will show up, but when it does I will update.

-
-
-

George

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Found a head shot! had a couple photos during the poly I rememebered..

very easy to do! I can give directions if anyone interested.

GEorge

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:34 pm

gaustin wrote:OK- here she is. I am now officially proud of my ASAT classic custom in basic black. I moved the saddle down 1/8". After the tear down and set up, I can confidently say that there was never any way a simple neck tweak would fix that, I can get maybe a 1/32" of fine tune at the 22nd fret the neck joint assembly just doesn't have that much wiggle room.

But so much for that discussion; I feel bad for the people who are being victimized by this obviously faulty production lot. I just wish that the people who are so quick to blindly defend G&L, be a little more objective, and actually acknowledge that there probably was a production error "somewhere". This wasnt some mysterious bump during shipping that is causing these very expensive defective guitars to be shipped to some very disappointed customers.

I put on gloss poly on the headstock, it looks fabulous, and adds a brings out the patina. I cant seem to get the camera to give a good look unfortunately.

The only thing not showing is the new pickguard, which I dont know exactly when it will show up, but when it does I will update.

George

I think that there were communication problems that led to people not fully understanding your problem or your solution, but I do understand your point about objectivity. No system is perfect, and it's possible for any company (even if they make really awesome instruments) to make a mistake sometime.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:33 am

Understood. Maybe I came on a little strong, and of course where there is passion there will be a strong resistance to accept that possibly a mistake was made. We are here because we all agree about our GL guitars, they are special to us.

But sometimes in order to be heard, you have to make a noise. And to the GL Co. we say- protect the integrity of our investments! Keep making the best possible instrument and keep up the innovations! But rememeber the customer knows quality, and respect the fact that the customer keeps you in business.

George
Last edited by gaustin on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:58 am

I understand where you are coming from, because I received a new Legacy with some pretty serious flaws in 2007 and some people on this board didn't believe me. Of course, I understand that too, because we're all G&L fans and the average G&L experience is so positive (and so many people on this board have had multiple great guitars/basses). Anyway, bad experience and all, I still love G&L instruments and am currently waiting on a bass I ordered from BB.

That being said, I personally would have tried to let G&L take care of it instead of altering the guitar myself, but I can understand why you would want to fix the problem instead of waiting 6 months to a year to get your G&L fix.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:17 am

If it were down to sending it out, I would have chosen a local luthier.

I practiced/tested all the things I did of course. I didnt just have at it. I spent about 2 weeks mulling it over and then rehearsed all the steps. I applied all the things I learned from previous mistakes. I bought tools to do it correctly, grinding arbor, tilting drill vice, etc...

So far the result is far better than any I would have had the pleasure of paying someone else to do.

I actually love the new bridge, it is slick and streamlined. IMHO the ashtray is an apt name for the old style. It was shaped like that to make a contact for the saddle cover which is now just a passe' thing.

Its just a matter of taste, the style change does nothing to compromise the guitar. In fact I think the tone is fuller to me given the mass increase. That is a perfect target for me cause I play jazz.

I play through a tech 21 amp. And the tone is just incredibly clean, clear, deep and sustaining. Guess I'll mosey on over the the Amp threads and see what shakin......

Geo.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:57 am

The new bridge is indeed nice, it doesn't have that annoying lip around the edge. If the lip weren't as tall as the saddles it may not be an issue. However.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks Sirmyghin.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi George,

I typed a longish reply and just lost it. Well, I'll have another go. First, I can completely understand your impression when you opened the case. You don't see any damage, and the neck looks like it's installed crookedly. It's a totally reasonable conclusion. I also understand that guys wonder what the previous owner might have done to it. What the guitar can't tell you is what happened in shipping between the previous owner and your doorstep.

The reality is that as long as guitars are shipped, they'll be tossed like rag dolls by drivers and distribution handlers. Perhaps you'll see physical damage, such as a dinged lower bout. The case might look OK, but the body is dented. Sort of like how you could take a blow to your head, but the suspension of your brain can't contain the impact so the brain gets banged up. Your head, like the case, may look fine but the damage is on the inside.

These days, we see less physical damage since we began using the custom, form-fitted G&G cases. The fitment does a better job at suspending the instrument. That said, there's only so much it can do to the g-force shock transferred to the instrument. Your guitar was made in June of this year, so it has the form-fitted case. Whether the older cases or the current one, neck shift is a fairly common outcome from lateral g-force applied to the side of the case. Imagine how the package (case) is picked up and tossed, usually landing on the side, not the front or back. It might be because this it's just easier to lift and toss it that way, or perhaps it seems like it'll do less damage than a big, loud, belly flop on the front or back. Lateral g-force is just the thing to cause neck shift, and the reason is simple: the neck is long, slender, fairly flexible, under tension from strings, more weight at the headstock end, and attached with four wood screws at the other. Smack it on the side, and the fulcrum leverage on the neck is exacerbated by the tension of the strings. Result? Neck shift.

This isn't to say that this happens often. I'm not worried about getting guitars shipped to me, but I know that neck shift of a bolt-on instrument is possible, and if the impact is extreme enough, it can cause a finish crack on the body at the neck joint. I usually don't bother with the finish crack, though I could get our guys to doctor it up, but I take care of the neck shift in five minutes. At least the bolt-on attachment provides some give, which is a good thing. On a set-neck guitar, there is no give, so flex at the neck joint is more likely to cause a crack in the finish. It'll still be aligned nicely, but there'll be a crack, maybe a nasty one.

Unfortunately, this thread went a little sideways. I can understand your impression when you opened the guitar, and I can understand that guys speculate on what the previous owner did to it. Sometimes a previous owner obviously messed around with things and didn't know what he was doing, and sometimes that causes him to be blamed for something that wasn't his fault. Neck shift might just be the #1 thing the other guy gets blamed for, when in fact it's caused by the shipping handlers. Sometimes it's a little in between, say, a guy has had the neck off and didn't put much tension back on the screws, making it easier to cause neck shift. Maybe he cranked them down too much and partially stripped them so they can't hold as much tension as before. All in all, however, I know this happens in shipping so I just put it down to that.

I'm glad that you got it sorted out and now enjoying the guitar. Maybe we can add something to the FAQ about this so we can better address this in the future. Even though we've got a better case and better packing material, it'll happen again. On the G&LDP, we want to help owners get the most enjoyment from their instruments, and sharing experiences and insight is the way we do it. It helps everyone, and it helps G&L continue to make instruments better.

Regards,

Dave

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:41 am

I happened upon this post while searching the forums today and thought I would add the following:

I would like to add this post which is our G&L Knowledgebase forum -> G&L Technical Questions & Tip sub-forum:
String alignment issues and a simple cure .

Hope this helps.