G&L ASAT Special Deluxe CLF49928

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Folks,

I've seen this lovely guitar on sale at Dallas Used Guitar:

http://www.metrousedguitar.com/images/cl/CLF49928/

Tempted. Very tempted. But, what would it cost me to import this guitar into the UK? How much on top of the postage would I have to pay to get it through customs? And, as a private buyer, is this sort of 'good' handled any differently compared to how it would be handled if imported by a dealer?

Any views & comments?

Thanks.

Bill

Re: G&L ASAT Special Deluxe CLF49928

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Bill,
Shipping from the US to Ireland is about $110 via USPS, I pay VAT at 21% of the combined value of the instrument and the shipping, plus a nominal fee for post office clearance. It can take anywhere from 6 days to a few weeks to arrive, usually customs clearance is the longest part of the journey.
I have noticed a few threads on TGP concerning importing guitars to the UK and posters have mentioned a very similar process. Hope this helps.

btw that's a smoking ASAT.

Paul

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:35 am

Thanks Paul, Very helpful.

Everyone - What would be the going price for this guitar 'as seen'? Give me an honest price please? I want to know whether or not the dealer is being reasonable. They are currently quoting approx. $US1,000. Is this a price to be expected for a guitar of this quality? It looks custom. The standard ASAT Special Deluxe doesn't have many of these features (e.g. dual fulcrum vibrato, contoured rear body, etc.).

All views much appreciated and very welcome. I need to know if this is likely to be a good buy or something to be avoided.

Thanks.

Bill

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:40 am

Can't say I've shopped around for one, but ...

Assuming it's new, that seems like a really good price for a Special Deluxe with some nice custom appointments (binding & trem, specifically).

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Assuming it's new, I would think the price is pretty dang good. Maple top, dual fulcrum bridge, bound fret board. Pretty good price, IMHO, for that guitar.

edg

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:40 am

Thanks to everyone for your helpful views. I'm really struggling with myself on this one. It is a lovely guitar with great specs and at a great price. I've offered $US900 as that's about all I can afford to be honest and, taking into account import duties, tax and postage for delivery to the UK, this is a sizeable sum to shell out. Plus, buying from a dealer the other side of the Atlantic with just a few pics to guide me, it is a sizeable risk too. I've asked him all the appropriate questions and he's been really helpful, but there is no substitute for actually seeing the guitar and playing it before buying, is there? There's always a risk involved together with the risk of damage in transit. I know these things can be sorted, but it's just so much hard work to deal with problems when you're buying a high-end guitar remotely.

I'll keep you posted, but I figure my $US900 offer is possibly too low for the seller.

Thanks again.

Bill

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:13 am

Hey all,

I think I may have a deal! The seller has accepted my offer of $US900. That's a tremendous price, even after I've added in import duties, tax, and shipping. Really excited now! Can't wait to receive this lovely guitar. Let's hope it all goes smoothly with the purchase and the delivery to the UK. Incredible!

Bill

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:01 am

Question: Ok, so this guitar is obviously 'custom', as the 'standard' offering from G&L doesn't include the dual-fulcrum vibrato and the rear body contour. So, surely a 'custom' built guitar is only usually 'built-to-order' for a particular customer? Or, do G&L build these 'custom' guitars occasionally just for general sale and without any particular customer in mind?

Very curious. If anyone can offer an insight into the 'mind' of G&L marketing, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Bill

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Dealers can order in some 'customs' as can customers through dealers. There is little to no upcharge just for the 'custom' factor, only the desired options.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:28 pm

BillEvans1956 wrote:Question: Ok, so this guitar is obviously 'custom', as the 'standard' offering from G&L doesn't include the dual-fulcrum vibrato and the rear body contour. So, surely a 'custom' built guitar is only usually 'built-to-order' for a particular customer? Or, do G&L build these 'custom' guitars occasionally just for general sale and without any particular customer in mind?

Very curious. If anyone can offer an insight into the 'mind' of G&L marketing, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Bill

Besides Customer and Dealer/Distributor optioned orders, G&L Marketing have had the factory build optioned out models they want to showcase at the various conventions they display at, such as the NAMM shows.

Hope this helps.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:03 am

Very helpful Craig. Thanks.

"Besides Customer and Dealer/Distributor optioned orders, G&L Marketing have had the factory build optioned out models they want to showcase at the various conventions they display at, such as the NAMM shows."

Ah, so this one might have been on show at NAMM or another convention? Nice! The dealer says he's had it for approx. 6 months. It should ship soon. Fingers crossed the whole shipping experience will go ok. I don't want to end up with a damaged guitar. Just been reading some of the other members' experiences of shipping that's gone wrong.

Thanks.

Bill

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi Craig,

Just been browsing the G&L Registry, and I see that this guitar, the one I just bought, is already registered there! Owner is shown as 'Registry Admin'.

That guitar was purchased by myself from Grapevine Guitar Works in Grapevine, Texas: http://www.grapevineguitarworks.com/servlet/StoreFront

The last I heard from USPS is that the guitar left the USA early this morning en route to the UK. I shall register it on my account once I receive it. How does that then sit with the entry already shown against 'Registry Admin'? The current entry states "Seen on Buffalo Bros website; white bound neck; white top binding; white pickup covers; rear body contour; Note: has Swamp Ash body instead of Mahogany body." (http://www.metrousedguitar.com/images/cl/CLF49928/)

What's the history of this current registration please? Can you recall when it was last seen on the Buffalo Bros. website? I'm curious to know how and when it moved from Buffalo Bros. to Grapevine Guitar Works. Any help you can offer would be most gratefully received.

Edit: Craig, I've just re-registered that guitar in my name now. Easy to do. Does that mean that anyone can register any guitar in the Registry in their own name? Very curious surely?

Thanks.

Bill

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:18 pm

BillEvans1956 wrote:Edit: Craig, I've just re-registered that guitar in my name now. Easy to do. Does that mean that anyone can register any guitar in the Registry in their own name? Very curious surely?

Thanks.

Bill

Yes, check out the F.A.Q. in the G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:51 am

Thanks Craig,

It does help, but there's nothing to stop anyone from registering someone else's guitar(s) as their own? Apart from an e-mail going to the person who registered it first. And then I guess behavior like that eventually results in that person getting banned from the Forum / Registry, etc.? We all operate on trust and good behaviour.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:59 pm

That is one beautiful guitar. I have never seen a rear contour with the binding. I think $900 is a good price for a mint deluxe. But I am no expert.

Re: G&L ASAT Special Deluxe Custom CLF49928

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 pm

The ASAT has landed! Now cleared UK Customs. I've paid the Customs charges online and am awaiting delivery on Wednesday 17th November.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on this lovely guitar. Thank you G&L!

Bill