ASAT BASS (weight reduction)

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:31 am

I love my recently purchased ASAT bass w/ swamp ash body, but find that it's too heavy for long playing sessions. Can someone recommend a high quality, reliable, place where I can have the body weight reduced (chambered). Does the G&L factory perform this work, or do I need to go to a private repair shop? Thanks.

Re: ASAT BASS (weight reduction)

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:51 pm

You'd have to take it to a luthier to have the back planed off (a lot), then chambered, then a new back glued on. It would be very expensive and you'd probably end up with a neck diver.

I don't see G&L taking this on, though you could certainly ask. Email John Toner - jtoner at bbesound dot com

My recommendation would be to flip the bass and find yourself a nice ASAT semi hollow.

Ken...

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:44 pm

I concur with Ken. Sell it and get a lighter bass or get a wider strap. Its amazing what a more comfortable strap can do for your endurance.

Forget about chambering or hollowing out the body to reduce the weight. Its not worth it.
You risk really screwing up a good instrument and the cost of that work will not be trivial.

Sell it and buy another G&L bass if that is what you have to do.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:24 pm

I don't know that switching to a semi-hollow would be all the much of a weight reduction. I was surprised when my ASAT semi-hollow arrived a few years back and it was significantly heavier than my solid body ASAT. I agree that unless you're wedded to the bass you should flip it and look for a lighter weight one.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:46 am

THANKS to all that have offered some very helpful comments. I'll begin with a more comfortable shoulder strap and see where that takes me. If that doesn't provide sufficient relief, I'll have to consider flipping for a lighter weight instrument. If that's the case, I hope I can find something that sounds as good as the ASAT.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:46 am

Where do you live, maybe I could try out your bass.
What do you think of the sound, does it live up to your expectations?

All the best to you Orange.