Incoming 20th Anniversary

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:08 am

I don't know who to thank first:

Tim Page for reminding me that he thinks the 20th Anniversary model is his fave and advising me to be sure to have one in the harem. He's been saying it for years, but he said it again recently. To date, I've never seen or played a 20th Anniversary..... so I just had to keep watching & waiting & believing in 'da man who KNOWS guitars. Thanks, Tim, for not letting up on me and for keeping an eye peeled for one.

or

JohnnyL of this forum who decided to let #23 go. We've wrapped it up & I'm really stoked about this one - more so than any guitar in a long time. Thanks JohnnyL, it's a dream come true.

Now I have a whole week of sleeplessness while she makes her cross-country trip from CA to SC.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Jay

Re: Incoming 20th Anniversary

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:32 am

Sure is perdy. Overwound pickups right?

Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Nice score, Jay!

After you get it and have had some time with it, please give us
a tone report. I'd be interested in your impressions compared to
your various other ASATs.

Congrats - it should complement your collection nicely!

:thumbup:

Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:50 pm

After what appeared to be a thinning of da herd it looks like you're back on a roll. Another nice addition for the GAS-meister himself!!! So what's the verdict on the G-200 and what ASAT is your desert island guitar?

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:00 pm

So far, my desert island ASAT is my blonde '86 with ebony board, followed closely by my '98 Blues Boy. The Trinity is still the most versatile, but that ole'86 ASAT just suites me best. I'm sure this 20th is gonna be great.... but can it possibly replace the 86 as the desert island axe? Stay tuned....

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:14 am

Congrats Jay, that is a wonderful score!! As the owner of #1 (3rd from the right in my avatar), I can assure you you ar going to love it.

- Jos

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:07 am

yowhatsshakin wrote: As the owner of #1 (3rd from the right in my avatar), I can assure you you ar going to love it.

- Jos

Man, #1. One thing I've noticed is that folks really hang onto these things. Must be a reason. Tim has been raving about his for years now. I am SO glad to finally get my hands on one.
Jay

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 am

Just to be honest, I am not the first owner of #1. Our own Buffalo Brother Tim Page followed by Casey Quinn (y2kc on this forum) were the previous owners of #1. And I won't be the last simply because I won't last forever. But it will take a long, long time before it will change hands again.

My 20th Anniversary sounds fantastic. Since it would be nice to compare tone reports, I will give mine here: the overwound pickup add more mids and warmth to the tone but still with plenty of single coil spunk. Let us know what you think.

- Jos

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:14 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:My 20th Anniversary sounds fantastic. Since it would be nice to compare tone reports, I will give mine here: the overwound pickup add more mids and warmth to the tone but still with plenty of single coil spunk. Let us know what you think.

- Jos

Thanks. Good idea to compare tone reports. Anyone else got one? Post away.
Jay

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:28 pm

Schweet, schweet. Everyone was right - this is one very, very fine guitar. Well made and beautiful. The big ole MFD's sure add some beef to the sound - very different from my Legacy, and different from my Bluesboy. The weight & feel of it make it irresistable to grab each time I get near it. Perfectly comfortable, well balanced, and the impeccable workmanship that the Customs Creations people are known for. I was not a huge fan of the 25th Anniversary, ASAT Super, or even the ASAT -Z3 like I am this thing. Been working it over the last few weeks and gotta say it is fine, fine, fine. Nice sonic range on it, too.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:11 pm

Jaystrings wrote:Schweet, schweet.

Hadn't expected anything less, but then again, I knew already ;)

Congrats once more Jay!

- Jos

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:20 am

the more I play it, the more I realize I understated how much more I like it than my other ASATs. I'd hate to ever have to decide between this thing and my Trinity, but there's not doubt that this 20th Anniversary, my original run Bluesboy, 86 ASAT, & Trinity are at the top of the list.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:41 am

looks like your desert island adventure will need to include a dink for all 4 guitars!!! now you have me thinking about a 20th! gas master.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:09 am

jonc wrote: now you have me thinking about a 20th! gas master.

Keepin' mine. Start looking a LONG time before you're ready to snag one - it took me a while. Seems this is one that folks kinda want to hang onto. And since they only made 50, it means they are few & far between hitting the market. You might want to consider sending emais to all the owners listed in the Rarebirds listing just to see. I've received emails before from folks wondering if I might be considering selling a particular axe and to keep them in mind. You might also get Tim @ BB's to look out for one, since he attends so many guitar shows. Just a thought. Good luck.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:21 pm

FYI, and as 'luck' will have it, one is available on eBay in this auction. Show up as the first entry in the 20th Anniversary Registry but without the S/N (CLF21651) having been entered.

- Jos

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Do they actually go for that range? wow. I had no idea G&Ls were appreciable collectibles.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:39 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Do they actually go for that range?

To keep it brief: not necessarily. I bought mine a year ago for a substantial amount less. The price listed is more for a almost pristine Broadcaster, not a 20th Anniversary listed for $1500.- in the 2010 Vintage Guitar Price Guide. But then again, it is what the fool want to give for it.

- Jos

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:43 am

Gotcha, I don't keep up on that stuff (the word collectible and me are rather antithesis, all of my current gear was bought brand spanking new). This is mostly due to me being pickier than you could imagine. A guitar meets my specs or I don't care about it. :happy0007:

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:06 am

Kind of late replying on this one because I've been working a lot, and was at the MiJAM VII all weekend.

That's a nice looking guitar even though bursts are not my favorite finish. Color doesn't matter too much to me, though, and my #1 is also a sunburst even though I wouldn't have chosen it had I not been able to play it before buying.

Are those pups real close to the earlier ASAT Special pups, like that silver one that you and I both owned? I found that one to be the best sounding Special that I have ever picked up. I thought that those sounded better than the Trinity that I briefly owned (because it was damaged in shipping). Even though I like the ASAT Special pickups, I've never really found one that sounded quite right after getting rid of the old silver three-bolt with the black hardware. Maybe we'll get to see it at next year's Jam.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:07 am

Milo, there IS a lot about the 20th Anniversary model that reminds of that fantastic 3-bolt silver ASAT. They're both kinda light, comfy, great tone & sustain. I believe if we could just A/B them, we'd find that there is a bit more meaty tone to the 20A as well as a bit more tonal range. One thing they also have in common is a great maple neck. I also believe the silver ASAT was a little smaller in the area of the 12th fret, but both felt & played great.

Maybe that silver baby will come around again someday. I can't believe I let it go.