which pots for dual blade/ powerblade pups?

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Greetings,

I'm trying to put together a loaded pickguard for my G&L Legacy using Gotoh Dual Blade and Power Blade Humbuckers 5.1K (neck, middle); 7.5K (bridge). (essentially turning it into a Legacy Special)

I would like to know if, since they are humbuckers, I should use 500k pots even though they have only 5.1k and 7.5k values.

any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated as well. I wouldn't mind mailing the pups somewhere and having them build the PG for me if you have any suggestions,,,,

Thanks~

Re: which pots for dual blade/ powerblade pups?

Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi jungle, welcome to the forum.

If you check out the G&L website they have the schematics for the Legacy special. Here's a link to the schematic. And here's the wiring diagram. You'll see on the schematic that there are three different value pots: a 250k volume pot, a 500k treble pot and a 1Meg bass pot. Be sure to note the values of the capacitors on the respective pots - the treble has a 0.022uF and the bass a 0.0022uf. By following the wiring diagram carefully you shouldn't experience too much trouble, provided the wires on the Gotoh pickups use the same coding as on the stock G&L.

Don't send it off anywhere, you'll be paying too much!!! Once you've done it you will have that wonderful sense of achievement too. Best of luck with it and should you run into trouble let us know

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Fantastic,, thanks a million~!

with the wiring diagram I just might go for the straight wiring and do it myself.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:44 am

So I see what looks like a "201" capacitor?(or volume kit?) on the volume pot in the Legacy Special wiring diagram but not on the schematic. Could somebody tell me what that is?

thx,,, sorry in advance for the n00b questions~!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Hmmmm. It certainly isn't a 201F cap - that would be as big as your house. It may be a resistor, but I don't think 201 is a preferred value. Hopefully someone with a Legacy Special can chime in here with more info