Thoughts On The Asat Deluxe

Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:42 am

Viewing krosser's beautiful Asat Deluxe got me thinking. Doesn't the Asat Deluxe bear more than a passing resemblance to the ultra expensive, hand made Gustavsson Bluesmaster? I haven't played either, but I'd be willing to bet the Deluxe would compare favorably to the Bluesmaster. I do have experience with both the Saddle Lock bridge and the Les Paul type bridge and tailpiece and, in my opinion, the Saddle Lock wins hands down in both comfort and sustain capabilities. I would love to see a hybrid Saddle Lock/ashtray type bridge for the Asat Classic, but that's another guitar.

I've felt for a long time that G&L should have a little more distinction between their models. How about an Asat Deluxe with a carved top and a little more rounded lower bout? (ala the Bluesmaster) 8-)

Re: Thoughts On The Asat Deluxe

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:34 pm

That example owned by krosser is superb. I prefer the ASAT shape, the Bluesmaster looks to me like another attempt at combining two iconic guitar shapes. This, IMO, never really works. Those shapes are burned my mind and any attempt to mash them together confuses me. I for one can't imagine G&L copying the shape or even coming out with a new shape/model - the market at the moment seems to be weighted heavily towards the classics or any number of uncomfortable heavy metal guitars.

I think some Tribute models come with a carved top, that could scratch your itch!

Re: Thoughts On The Asat Deluxe

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:50 am

I've been taking that guitar to gigs over the last week - wow, what an instrument...