help identifying my ASAT!

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:36 pm

hey guys i'm new to here and i decided to join to try and find some help identifying my G&L, i figured this was a good place to strat :P

so what i know is that it was made between 2000-2008 and that it was made in japan.
it's an ASAT classic from the tribute series. it's black with a tortoise pg and the serial number is 06015562.

any help on manufacture dates and/or interesting facts would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

thanks,
flickers

Re: help identifying my ASAT!

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Flickers wrote:hey guys i'm new to here and i decided to join to try and find some help identifying my G&L, i figured this was a good place to strat :P

so what i know is that it was made between 2000-2008 and that it was made in japan.
it's an ASAT classic from the tribute series. it's black with a tortoise pg and the serial number is 06015562.

any help on manufacture dates and/or interesting facts would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

thanks,
flickers

Welcome :greet:

We really don't have much information on the Made In Japan Tribute models. We list the serial numbering for the MIJ
Tributes as having seven digits, but you list your's as having eight. Does your guitar have the country of origin listed
on the back of the headstock? We only have a few in the G&L Registry, probably less than ten.

What I do know is that they are built for primarily the Japanese market. That line has Gotoh bridges on the guitars
(except a limited edition they did with gold USA DF trem etc.) but USA bridges on the basses.
All Japan Tributes have Fullerton-made pickups.

We do have a couple of different 1999 Japanese G&L catalog in the Gallery: 1998 - 1999 Memorabilia Album

Hope this helps.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:18 am

I can't help much, but I thought that Japanese production ceased in the early '00s. I played a Japanese ASAT in a store once - unfortunately I was denied credit but it the the guitar that started my ongoing love affair with G&L! I once owned a Japan made L-2000 bass, it was a great instrument.

If I were you I wouldn't spend too much time pondering over such things, just enjoy that fine instrument as much as you can.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:03 pm

yeah i agree, i've had the guitar since 2006 and i'm just curious.
it's BEAUTIFUL to play, i guess that's all that matters :)

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Flickers wrote:yeah i agree, i've had the guitar since 2006 and i'm just curious.
it's BEAUTIFUL to play, i guess that's all that matters :)

A few of questions for you on this guitar:

Can you please verify the complete serial number? Is it 06015562 or is it 6015562?
Does it have "Tribute made in Japan" decal on the headstock?
Does it have a skunk strip on the back of the neck?

Thanks.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:27 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:I can't help much, but I thought that Japanese production ceased in the early '00s.

Nope, as far as I know, they are still in production there in Japan.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:48 pm

the serial number is 06015562
it does not have the made in japan on the head
it does not have a skunk strip

Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:36 pm

Flickers wrote:the serial number is 06015562
it does not have the made in japan on the head
it does not have a skunk strip

You have a Made in Korea Tribute ASAT Classic.
It was built in January 2006. The body wood is Basswood.

Hope this helps.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:53 pm

ah thankyou so much!!! that is exactly the info i've been looking for!
how'd you find it?

Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:53 pm

Flickers wrote:ah thankyou so much!!! that is exactly the info i've been looking for!
how'd you find it?

The first tip off was the 7 digit serial number. This indicates that it is a Tribute Series model and
only the Made in Korea instruments have 7 digits. See Serial number significance.

Here a couple of more links regarding the Tribute Series models in our Knowledgebase:

What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003?

Why the change in manufacturing location for the Tributes?

Hope this helps.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:23 am

I have owned a G&L since 1987-1989. I bought it after my entire collection of three guitars was stolen. It was a small collection.
Each instrument had been found in pawn shops from New England to Miami FL. , the kind of deal I've only heard about, walking into a pawn and finding a truly fantastic score.
At my local music store, I was shown a G&L which I bought immediately, under the impression that it was made in America. It most resembles the " Broadcaster" , however the serial numbers (G022704) have led me to believe that it is not American made at all. I have really enjoyed playing this guitar. After many gigs, rehearsals & hours practicing, the instrument has never failed,in any way.
Last year I bought a PRS " Santana" as I wanted a guitar with humbuckers. The "PRS" sits in it's case. I prefer to play my "G&L" through a Fender "Super Champ", and love the sound. My only wish is that it turns out to be made in America.

TheisZone :?:
Last edited by TheisZone 666 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:57 am

TheisZone 666 wrote:I have owned a G&L since 1987-1989. I bought it after my entire collection of three guitars was stolen. It was a small collection.
Each instrument had been found in pawn shops from New England to Miami FL. , the kind of deal I've only heard about, walking into a pawn and finding a truly fantastic score.
At my local music store, I was shown a G&L which I bought immediately, under the impression that it was made in America. It most resembles the " Broadcaster" , however the serial numbers (0022704) have led me to believe that it is not American made at all. I have really enjoyed playing this guitar. After many gigs, rehearsals & hours practicing, the instrument has never failed,in any way.
Last year I bought a PRS " Santana" as I wanted a guitar with humbuckers. The "PRS" sits in it's case. I prefer to play my "G&L" through a Fender "Super Champ", and love the sound. My only wish is that it turns out to be made in America.

TheisZone :?:

You have mis-read the serial number. It should be G022704.
These neck plates with the stamped serial numbers can
sometimes be difficult to read.

Here's one which is not as difficult to read:

It was definitely made in Fullerton, CA, USA.

Please do register this ASAT in our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.