NGD : ASAT special

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Well I got it today, got home with it at 2pm, started playing it at 3 (now 5, had to eat and build my free stool from the dealer first, also put on schaller strap locks). The neck is a#3, a bit rounder and chunkier than a carvin, with 1" 11/16 at the nut, and 12" radius. Frets are jumbos, not stainless, they feel alright though. I have a bit of buzz but I am still getting it set up, wishing I had a radius gauge, about the only thing I am missing.

I really like the pickups. They are not overly hot, compared to carvins offering, but it doesn't cause my amp to break up prematurely, especially on the clean channels. On the tweed voice in my mark V I could not put the gain past 9 o clock, or I would start breaking up into ZZ top, on this axe I have it at 1 and it doesn't break at all, just excellent sounding cleans.

They drive well too, very clear and nice, big sounding too (the bridge can be spanky but has enough balls to play metal like maiden when the gain is up, at least enough to keep me happy anyway). The neck gets some serious nice warm smooth sounds.

This one is extremely light, and I got some nice ash to boot. I will make some clips sometimes within the week. The satin finish on this neck is superb, it doesn't even feel as if it is finished at all.

Lastly the case freaking rocks, locks, with slide clasps, and a central hasp. Hugs the body tight, tolex to boot. When I saw it, I pictured my carivn case and though, 'that's not a case, this, is a case.'

Re: NGD : ASAT special

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Gorgeous!! 8-) Look forward to hearing some clips.

One of these days, I'm going to have to order myself a custom ASAT. Enjoy!! :happy0007:

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Very freakin' nice. Congrats!

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Nice wood on that one. I also see that you have locking tuners. Looks like both an arm and tummy cut. Send her down here for safekeeping! It will keep you up late for days!--- Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Congrats, very, very nice. :happy0065:

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Very nice!
Came a little sooner than you thought didn't it?
I agree..that satin neck finish is really smooth.
Congrats

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Sweeeeeet. You will love those pickups, I guarantee it. And yes, the satin neck finish G&L is doing these days in an absolute dream. A far better option than sanding down gloss, IMO.

Nicely played, Sir (pun well intended). Ya gotta love that new guitar smell, am I right?

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:56 pm

darwinohm wrote:Nice wood on that one. I also see that you have locking tuners. Looks like both an arm and tummy cut. Send her down here for safekeeping! It will keep you up late for days!--- Darwin

You wouldn't want it, no flame on the neck, I think it is safe :D. I logged a good 4 hours today though (I warned my advisor in advance today was a right off :happy0007: )
Yep arm and tummy cut. Arm cuts can be had if you ask for them, but are not a listed option. I like to be as comfy as possible playing, I do not need the belly cut, yet, though :mrgreen:
The locking machines look like schallers, not sperzels (thought they were using sperzel nowadays), which is a surprise, a good one as they have a tighter ratio (16:1 not 12:1). I do not have trouble tuning 12 to one, but being able to ham it a little more is nice. The nut is also graphite.

Jazzrat, it did indeed and all the better, as the weather was nice enough I didn't need to pay a cab and took the bus home. That satin finish is something Carvin could learn a lot from, their neck finishes, aside from the oil, are thick and gunky.

Madcity flats, I did notice a smell while playing, burning plastic as I was tearing it up most likely :lol: . Some of my chops don't work so well on this one, but some just flow. Interesting how different guitars can do that.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Yes, those are Schaller lockers and they are a bit heavier than the Sperzels but they are a top quality locker and are looks to kill.-- Darwin

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:19 pm

darwinohm wrote:Yes, those are Schaller lockers and they are a bit heavier than the Sperzels but they are a top quality locker and are looks to kill.-- Darwin

The thing is a tad neck heavy/ neck divey, if I am not sitting low classical. the ask body they put on it is really light (was expecting something heavy). It is not enough for me to care though, it is not as if I am needing to hold the neck up, it just slowly dips out.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:06 pm

Sirm, is this a chambered body? I have some ideas if the neck weight bothers you. I have a Z-3 chambered with the f-hole with locking Schallers and I do not notice that. The Sperzels are a bit lighter but the pin hole is slightly different. But here is an idea. If it still is a problem after using it for a couple of weeks, I would suggest trying a set of Schaller non locking tuners to see if that would make a difference. They may be more comparable to the Sperzel lockers in weight. I have many of them that I am not using. Give that some thought. The Sperzels are also top quality but it would require new pin holes. I think you will get used to it. Considering that you have both arm and belly cuts this would reduce the weight of the body considerably. You have ordered what I probably would have, although I would have added a DF bridge on it.---Darwin

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Beautiful guitar. If I could afford to order a custom, that would be pretty much exactly the one I would get. Love the color and love the maple neck.

I just got the import model and love the tone and it is a great looking guitar but it is miles away from that beauty. Congrats.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:48 pm

VERY nice guitar Sirmy.

How are you going with the forearm cut? I have two ASATs without the contour and one with (an '07 Classic S). I find that my arm and wrist approach the bridge at a different angle on the contoured body and it takes more adjusting to than I'd imagined. It's not a bad thing and once used to it I don't even notice - unless I don't play it for a while. I'm actually considering selling the contoured body one to finance a custom order ASAT Special...

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:38 am

Darwin, it is, or should be a solid body. As far as the DFB goes, I didn't want a trem on this one, my rock axe has a floyd rose.

Blarg, I do not notice the contour, I am used to playing a strat type body with a contour that is much deeper (that same floyd rose guitar)

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:20 pm

I said it over on the carvin forum and I'll say it again! Beautiful guitar! I love the finish! Sorry, but what is the DFB bridge? I'm not new to G&L but I don't know what it is!

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:21 pm

nascarbean_97 wrote:I said it over on the carvin forum and I'll say it again! Beautiful guitar! I love the finish! Sorry, but what is the DFB bridge? I'm not new to G&L but I don't know what it is!

Dual Fulcrum Vibrato, essentially like a wilkinson trem, but good. Leos last evolution of the strat style trem effectively.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:21 pm

oh, I though it'd be shortened to DFV! Thanks for sorting out my confusion!

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:40 pm

I think it is the equivilent of PIN number and ATM machine :P My line of thinking is the same as yours, it may however be the option code ordering too, so to speak.

Or now that the Dual fulcrum steel is on the 30th anniversary, it could very well be Dual fulcrum BRASS.