Local Dealers with Good Selection in NYC?

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi,

I'm a hopefully soon to be first time G&L player. Been playing for about 15 years or so and looking to trade in my Strat for a S-500 or maybe a Legacy. Anyone know any dealers in New York City that carry a wide selection of new G&L? I could order from several places but no one seems to have anything in stock to test play - A lot of people on the boards here seem to be OK with ordering a guitar without playing it first, but I don't know - always had to have the instrument in my hands first before I could make a decision. I keep hearing how great the build quality is so maybe it isn't really an issue but I would LOVE TO CHECK IT OUT IN PERSON.

Ahem. Apologies. So yeah. Most places are selling 1 or 2 used guitars, not in the configuration I'm interested in. Any recommendations in NYC including Brooklyn or Queens for G&L dealers with a lot of new stock? I've called and visited a bunch of the dealers on their website - one in particular looked promising, this dude Mas HIno - guitarman, but they apparently closed recently. Would appreciate any direction anyone has. Thanks in advance!

Re: Local Dealers with Good Selection in NYC?

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:53 pm

I can't help with a G&L dealer in NYC sorry (wrong hemisphere for that). But I agree with your assessment re. trying them out. If you find a shop with stock make sure you try a few of the Asian made Tributes. They're great guitars in their own right. Legacy's and S-500's feel different to a strat so it's important that you get a few in your hands to see if they suit. The S-500's also sound slightly different to a strat so make sure you plug 'em in too. In my experience the G&L build quality is much higher than Fender but the FEEL of an instrument is much more important. So is the colour and overall vibe - that's shallow I know but a vibey guitar makes you want to play it.

I hope you find a dealer that stocks your perfect G&L.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:36 pm

A quick perusal on the G&L website shows a number of Manhattan shops as authorized G&L dealers,
including the famous 48th Street landmark, Rudy's, as well as even J&R Music World (!)
Others in Manhattan are: Carmine Street Guitars, Free Note Records, Guitarman, and Sam Ash.

In Brooklyn there is Amp & Guitar Wellness Center; in Westchester, Blue Bus Music,
and the aforementioned Toys From The Attic ...

Quite a few out on Long Island too ... but for G&L I'm only familiar with Murphy's Music,
which seems to carry a good representative selection of G&L models on hand, there are
at least 10 on display at any given time.

Rock On,
-- TV

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:58 am

I've been to and called most of the Manhattan ones, going to try Rudy's out this week. Most places (if they are still in business) only carry one or two used G&L's - this includes J&R, Guitarman, and Carmine street.

Thanks for the Murphy's tip. Looks interesting.