ASAT Deluxe---Pix and a review

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:04 pm

I thought I'd toss out my impressions of the '09 ASAT Deluxe I got last week.
I've always been interested in this guitar but it seems to be less well known than the other
iterations of the ASAT.

Specs: Semi-hollow Swamp Ash with flame maple cap. (6.5 - 7 pounds)
Clear red finish with clear wood faux binding
satin finish maple neck with abalone dots.
Pickups:(Neck - Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1, Bridge - Seymour Duncan TB-4)
Volume and tone with three way and coil tap switch

I've only had one other G & L guitar in my hand before and that's my perfect '06 Legacy.
I was curious to see it it was a fluke or G & L standard quality as well as compare
my '06 Bi-Cut neck with the new system.

The ASAT does not disappoint. Perfect fit and finish. Don't talk to me about tight neck joints unless
G & L is in the conversation. Certainly equal or better than any F brand Custom shop I've had.
The finish looks like glass.

Playability is a biggie for me. The neck profile on this guitar is slightly smaller than my Legacy but it
is very comfortable. The truss rod action is smooth and let me set up my preference which is near 0 relief.
The frets are finished beautifully and I have the action at a ridiculous 3/64th on the low E.

Tone: I'd guess the the mahogany bodied versions would be a little closer to Les Paul territory but
this guitar has it's own thing going on. It can sound bright if you want but the tone control is very responsive
with a smooth taper so there are a bunch of usable tones. The neck pickup is smooth and smokey but it doesn't
really do the old school jazz tone. More of a modern Mike Stern kind of thing. Really no problem for me.
I have other guitars for that particular tone. The middle position if terrific. The bridge sounds kind of like
a great SG, serious crunch, with great highs and upper mids without harshness or icepicks to the ear.

I keep my little guitar collection to about four at any given time.
A good jazz guitar, a semi-hollow, something strat'ish and usually something Tele'ish.
I'd say this guitar is way on the 'ish side of Tele which is ok with me.
It's really what I was looking for at this time and for the music I'm playing right now.
It could change next week but very pleased to have this little red beauty and looking
forward to seeing what else it will do.

Re: ASAT Deluxe---Pix and a review

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:12 pm

An elegant looking guitar you have there, jazzrat. Very nice.

I totally agree with you about the fit on G&L guitars. The neck pockets are perfectly executed on all of mine, as is the finish. Enjoy your new guitar

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:20 pm

We need a second opinion. Ship that to my house immediately! ;)

That is one fantastic looking guitar, congrats. Wow. :alright:

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Its a beauty Jazzrat. I commented earlier on the neck and abalone dots. I am a maple neck guy and this one is top shelf. It seems to be that the American G&Ls have good fret work. Mine also have low action and level frets. I cannot run as low action on my Tribute. If you are running 0 relief you have a fine one for that low of action.-- Darwin.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Classy, glassy finish and beautiful color. Congrats jazzrat!! Was there any particular reason you picked a swamp ash body over mahogany? Or did you like the guitar as it is?

- Jos

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Was there any particular reason you picked a swamp ash body over mahogany?

I bought it used Jos so no choice in the matter. My preference would be rosewood or ebony board and the stock
mahogany body. Maybe I'll get one of those someday with an F-hole.
I know I don't like ash and rosewood together usually, but this combo is great.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:39 pm

Very nice, never saw a G&L with anything special for inlays though, didn't know they offered such things.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Beautiful guitar.