Closed rear covers on new Legacies & S-500's?

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:40 am

I'm just asking as I have seen a few of them now, both USA and Tribute models. How do you change the strings? The rear cover has no openings. None.

Cheers,

Will

Re: Closed rear covers on new Legacies & S-500's?

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:41 am

Here is an example: http://boise.craigslist.org/msg/1997159125.html

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:04 am

That is very, very strange Will! :? Obviously anyone doing the final assembly at G&L would know that the rear cover is missing the rectangular hole that you feed the strings through. Here's a recent Comanche that appeared for sale at Guitar Adoptions a couple months ago, and it has the opening for the strings.

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/g-l-coma ... maple.html

Has anyone else seen this "error?"

Steve

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:29 am

I would get me a rotary tool out and cut a hole, not much else that can be done, I always though that a bit odd, I have seen more than a few G&L like that.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:01 am

Here's a S-500 tribute on Guitar Adoptions with access hole: http://www.guitaradoptions.com/g-l-tribute-s-500-premium-blueburst-rosewood-electric-guitar.html

Can't imagine why G&L would build a strat style guitar without rear access for restringing.. :shocked028:

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:20 am

Weird! You'll have to take off the pack plate. But then again, I have a '97 Legacy Special with a back plate pictured below and I take that off too when I change strings. I do not cut them at the bridge, but pull them back through the tremolo block. With the plate on, the bend in the string where it ran over the bridge gives me the hardest time aiming the string ball end to any of the holes. So off it comes. The rectangular hole is surely an improvement there.

- Jos

Edit: fix image link after album was lost.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:48 am

that must have been put on aftermarket.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:23 pm

I got used to not having a back cover after 4 Eric Johnson Strats.
I play my Legacy without one.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:19 pm

jazzrat wrote:I got used to not having a back cover after 4 Eric Johnson Strats.

I sometimes leave the covers off, too. It's easier and faster to restring and make adjustments with the cover off.

Sprinter 92

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:19 pm

Sprinter 92 wrote:
jazzrat wrote:I got used to not having a back cover after 4 Eric Johnson Strats.

I sometimes leave the covers off, too. It's easier and faster to restring and make adjustments with the cover off.

Sprinter 92

Just be careful on the killer divebomb where you press it tight against your body :P :happy0007: