Neck comparison

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:25 am

Hi, I have a Legacy Special (about a 94-96 I think) that I purchased new about 14 years ago and it is wonderful. I am considering purchasing a new ASAT and would like to choose the neck option that best matches my current Legacy neck, although a little beefier at the nut wouldn't hurt. I am told the "standard" neck has changed since the 90's and am wondeing what the standard shape is now and which one of the optional necks compares to the "old" neck. Thanks.

Re: Neck comparison

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:16 am

dingycaptain wrote:Hi, I have a Legacy Special (about a 94-96 I think) that I purchased new about 14 years ago and it is wonderful. I am considering purchasing a new ASAT and would like to choose the neck option that best matches my current Legacy neck, although a little beefier at the nut wouldn't hurt. I am told the "standard" neck has changed since the 90's and am wondeing what the standard shape is now and which one of the optional necks compares to the "old" neck. Thanks.

Here's a link to G&L's Guitar Options page.

Find the neck specs which match as closely to your Legacy Special neck, by measuring the depth of the fretboard at the 1st and 12th frets.

Hope this helps.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:41 pm

dingycaptain wrote:am wondeing what the standard shape is now and which one of the optional necks compares to the "old" neck. Thanks.

I don't know what kind the old necks were, but the current production has the "C" shape as a standard. I feel this neck is a beefy one, I am almost 2 meters high and my hands are big... and the standard C neck fits perferctly. It's bigger than the C neck by Fender.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:07 pm

I agree that the new standard necks are quite beefy on the USA G&L's. I was playing a few ASAT's and Legacy's in a store last week and I much preferred the necks on the Tribute models. I have smaller hands and the slender Tribute necks felt just right.