Bridge factory settings for Legacy guitar(PDF not helpful)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:51 am

Hey guys I am wondering if you can help me. I own an American G&L Legacy 6 string, floating bridge with vibrato (bought it used don't know the exact year and model) and I am in the middle of setting it up to custom settings but first I would like to set it to factory settings as a starting point.

However the G&L Legacy PDF manual that's on the web is not very helpful because it's mainly for 3-BOLT MICRO-TILT necks. Mine is a 4-bolt and has no micro-tilt.

If I set up my bridge plate to 3/16ths of an inch and my #6 saddle bridge 1/8th of an inch off the bridge plate, I am nowhere near the .093 inch factory recommendation of the 6th string and the 22nd fret. Likewise with the #1 string and the .062 inch recommendation.

So what are the settings for my guitar? Do I still shoot for the .093 and .062 measurements but adjust the bridge plate and bridge saddles up and down to get there? If so, do I give and take from each, or should I leave one of the two components to the above factory settings and adjust the other(i.e. leave my bridge plate at 3/16ths and lower my saddles?). In this case which one?

Thank you in advance for your help.

PS: I assume the tross rod measurement should still remain as it is stated in the PDF despite no micro-tilt?

Re: Bridge factory settings for Legacy guitar(PDF not helpful)

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:02 pm

alexwatchtower wrote:
PS: I assume the tross rod measurement should still remain as it is stated in the PDF despite no micro-tilt?

Yes, that is correct.

Here's some previous threads which might help:
Set up the bridge of a legacy
how to adjust tremolo bridge?
Set-Ups, answering some questions

Hope this helps.

Re: Bridge factory settings for Legacy guitar(PDF not helpful)

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:10 am

My .02
Disregard the Micro-Tilt instructions.
If...Neck relief is at factory spec (I personally run mine straigher at about .008)
If...The back of the bridge plate is floating at about 3/16" above the body (mine is)
Then...you should be able to adjust the bridge saddles to allow for a very playable action.
Mine is much lower than factory spec at about .05 for the low E.