Re: What amps are you guys using with your g&ls?

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:35 am

Classic 30.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:44 am

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Just retubed it actually... the preamp tubes were dying, especially the 12AT7s. I'm surprised because I've heard that the power tubes normally go first. Either way, sounds great now. Sounds especially good with my new G&L.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:54 pm

I Run My 81 L2000 Through A Fender 85w 65 Twin Reverb With A Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp On Top Of It. Awesome Sound And Alot Of Choices For Sound. It's Also Loud As H.ll.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:28 pm

I'm a bit late to the part here, but here goes...

Currently playing my ASAT and Legacy hardtail through a Mesa Trem-o-verb 2.x12 comb. Sounds lovely, plus it's lightweight, and at 100w it's perfect for around the house. ;)

I've played these guitars, as well as other ASATs through a bunch of other amps I've owned through the years:

-Ampeg VL1002 + Ampeg 4x12 (yup, another Ampeg)
-Marshall JCM900 + Marshall 4x12
-Mesa Nomad 100w wide head + Mesa Recto 4x12 bottom cab or through an old Mesa halfback 4x12
-Mesa DC100 2x12 combo
-Peavey Delta Blues 15" combo
-Early 60s Fender Bandmaster head with a Fender 2x12 cab or a Peavey open back single 15" cab (early Classic series, I think - very cool cab for cheap)
-Fender Princeton (blackface)

As others have said, the G&Ls sound real nice through just about anything, although I think most would agree that a halfstack is not the usual partner for an ASAT.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:46 pm

During the time I've owned my ASAT I've had a Fender Blues Deluxe (sold), a 1972 Fender Bassman 10 (sold) and currently a 1966 Fender Bandmaster.

The Bandmaster has had a 2x12 cab (previous owner actually converted a Fender Ultimate Chorus to just a cab)sold, a 4x10 Marshall cab (sold), and currently a 2x10 I made out of an old organ loaded with ceramic Weber signature series, and a 1x15 I'm building to the dimensions of the original cab which will house a Weber alnico.

The asat has sounded good through all of them, the Blues Deluxe was kinda boomy I don't miss it at all, the '72 Bassman I really liked, it had a great overdriven tone and I wish I could have kept it but I had to choose and the Bandmaster won.
I would really like to try out a Ceriatone tweed deluxe one of these days.

-Dave
Last edited by Dave_P on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:38 pm

I've been using my old Laney LC30 (original version, not the Mark 2) the last couple of days. It's been sitting around for a long time now, and hasn't been used for at least a year. I had forgotten how good the thing sounds, I'm in love with it all over again! It has a chimey, Vox-type thing happening on the clean channel. It takes pedals very, very well. The dirty channel is good too, very rich gain sound, but you have to have the master volume turned up to at least 3 before it sounds good on this channel. It hasn't always sounded good - I have a Celestion AlNiCo Gold in it. The stock speaker was rubbish. I re-tubed the power amp section with a bunch of Mesa Boogie EL84's a few years back when the original Sovtek ones died and that also helped the sound. It still has the same preamp tubes I bought it with (I got it new in about '98), but will be swapping them for some JJ 12AX7's soon. Anyone out there looking for that Vox chime could do a lot worse than getting one of these, they're practically free if you get a second hand one. And they are LOUD!!!

Dave_P wrote:I would really like to try out a Ceriatone tweed deluxe one of these days.

They're very nice, damn good fun amps - I have one and it gets used a lot. I recorded with it a couple of weeks ago, I should have access to the recording soon - I'll post a clip when I get it so you can hear what a G&L sounds like through one.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:46 am

I play my ASAT Special through a Blackstar HT-40 1x12 combo. It's a real nice little amp. It gets a little gainy for my taste, but I'm planning on a preamp tube swap in the near future to "tone" it down a little bit. For now I just keep the gain control at about 3 and things don't get out of hand. I don't however use it through my Marshall 2203. Not that it sounds bad, but the only reason I have these days to use that monster amp is for heavy duty loud assed rock and roll, and the ASAT is just a little too nice for that particular bands sound. For that I've got the Les with EMGs.

As for My basses (L2000 & SB2s) I go into an Ampeg B4r with an Eden 2x15 and Eden 2x10 cabs with a Sans Amp in line. In a word... massive.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:15 am

1968 Fender Bassman w/ 2x15 cab
Mesa DC3
Dr Z Stang Ray Head w/ 2x12 cab

Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:46 pm

Bad Cat, 5 watts, class a, 12" speaker, master volume

Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm using a JCM800 50 watt combo (Model 4104):

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:30 am

Mostly either a Dr Z Maz 18, a Clark 'Lil Bit or a Gibson GA-5 - all are outstanding amps.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Currently using a Fender Blues Jr. Limited Edition in lacquered tweed. Great litle amp, but while I've used it in many situations, I'm seriously considering stepping up to something bigger. Not sure what ~ as I'm just now starting to look at big ole' Fenders (like the Super Reverb I had when I has in college) or Fuchs (the my friend Gabe swears by) or something else not yet found.

I'm in no rush. I just need to figure out what, how much and when.

Tim

I demo'd a laquer Blues Junior yesterday at my locally owned music store. It wasn't bad...until I plugged into a Twin. Something special about a higher wattage amp with 2-12's running at lower volume, against a smaller amp at higher volumes. The sound is more open, less compressed, and noticeably sweeter if cleans are your thing. I will gladly take the Twins weight penalty for the sound difference.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:12 am

I have an army of Marshalls,and my absolute favorite practice amp is my Vox VT-15.Not coincedentally all my practice amps are for sale <lol>.

My G&L? 1993 ASAT Classic.Makes you have a hankerin' for grits and sowbelly when you hear it.I LOVE it!! Who needs shred ? :happy0007: :lol: :lol: :happy0007:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:36 pm

'83 Music Man 112 RD 100. I'm feeling even more love for this amp lately since I raised the Comanche's pups to spec height. Amp gives brilliant cleans with the full range of the tone controls (squeals are gone!); two channels can be set as rhythm/lead, clean/dirty, or dime the volume (with attenuator!) to OD the power tubes for hair (Ch. 1) or smooth OD (Ch. 2). I recently discovered a fantastic woman tone with my LP, too.Image

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Fairly recent (used) Polytone Mini-Brute II for our little restaurant background jobs.

Tech 21 TM30 for the crunchy stuff (I'd have to change strings too, from flatwounds, if I was being called for a lot of crunch style: it's been awhile though). :angel:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Using a Fender Challenger(?). Little 30 watt amp, sounds awesome.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Peavey Heritage VTX 212 - 130 Watts - vintage 1984 -
Like this (not my amp):

I replaced stock speakers which were shot with Eminence 12 inch speakers
(w/ Eminence name across the cone of each) and new matched 6L6 power tubes.

Like this -(side by side they look awesome):

RCSBlues :sign0011: