Re: What amps are you guys using with your g&ls?

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:01 pm

For the one millionth time! Just kidding ;)

Atomic Space Tone Pro and a Bogner Shiva (EL 34) combo

I also have a Bogner 2x12 open-back cab I like to run that Swart through sometimes :alright:

Ampeg ET2 and a PLush 1000 head.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:11 pm

1963 Ampeg Super Echo Twin....

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:22 pm

I also use an Ampeg - bit of a coincidence there! Mines a J-20, which is a clone of a brown era Fender Deluxe. I also use a Tweed Deluxe clone, made by Ceriatone.

As far as I know they sound good through any amp. I used to have a Marshall VIntage Modern and that had the smokinest sound ever when you wound up the volume.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:24 pm

no G&L, but I use a Mark V, I have no doubt it will handle the G&L just fine, being a ridiculously versatile (and excellent) amp.
Got my marshallesque, tweedish, roar, etc. All a bit more hi fi sounding but you can dial that down if you so wish. I am an oddity in many cases as I run 6l6 not EL34s. I like the gain voicing and the focus.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm currently using a Kustom HV65 hybrid amp. I run a Digitech RP355 effects pedal into the effects return so I am bypassing the 12AX7 tube but that's okay. I've been really happy with the combination and the flexibility it offers. The tone is satisfying to me to the point I really don't have the urge to make any changes. Contentment achieved!

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:10 pm

I use vintage Fender amps. I have a '56 tweed Princeton and '71 Princeton Reverb. I have the Princeton Reverb paired with a Bogner 1x12" cabinet to give it more bottom end.

Sprinter

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm using a Vox AC15 custom classic with the Celestion alnico blue speaker ...makes my legacy chime away nicely!

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:02 pm

I use an Orange AD30 single channel, with an Asat Special: great combo! awesome with fuzz or overdrive...

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Hot Rod Deluxe newly re-tubed with a special matched set from Torres Electronics.
For jazz gigs I use a Henricksen JazzAmp 110

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:21 pm

62 Fender Tremolux, Ampeg Gemini (Black Box, Uni-Music era), Magnatone 214, Fargen Epic 30. Amps on the trading block that I've also used with my G&L's: 66 Vchamp, 64 Vox AC-4, 64'ish Magnatone 421. :)

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:25 pm

zambly wrote:I use an Orange AD30 single channel, with an Asat Special: great combo! awesome with fuzz or overdrive...

I freaking love that amp, I demod the special before I bought one on one of them.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I have an Ampeg R-50H Reverberocket half stack, and a Koch Multitone 100 2X12 combo.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:58 pm

I count 4 Ampeg users out of 12 responses. Thats 33%, waaaaaaayyyyy more than I'd expect. Could it be that Ampeg amps share the same hidden gem status as G&Ls that such a high percentage of us use them?

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:18 pm

I have a Peavey Delta Blues 15"...which really goes well with my legacy and S-500. I really dig the built in tremolo and reverb. I also have a 1966 Fender Vibro Champ (Class A 5W)...which is also good with both.

I would love to try a Swart AST, but nobody around where I live has one.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:40 pm

For me it's a Mesa Boogie F-50 combo, Fender Blues Deluxe (original) or 70's Vibro Champ. What are you playing through your amp? Singles or hummers?

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:51 am

I use a Mesa Express 5:25 mainly in the 5W setting. Love how it breaks up with the MFD's.

- Jos

Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 am

Bigger shows with loud band: Dr Z KT-45 or Sovtek MIG 50
Smaller shows: 1963 Princeton

Most of my amps are single channel, no master, and are slightly dark sounding. It's a great combo with the bright pickups in the SC-2.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:45 am

When I play at home I usually play unplugged, but when I feel like plugging in I have a Swart AST and a Vox AD30VT with celestion speaker to choose from. At our hobby band practice spot I have my Yamaha G50-112 which is the amp I play through the most since I'm always amplified during practice.

Kit

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:00 am

My red Comanche gets played through my Victoria 35210, which is a clone of the 1959 narrow panel Fender Tweed Super. This is the ultimate in medium powered rock and raw! Though these old tweed circuits have a great reputation, and deservedly so, for old Chess style Chicago blues type sounds, the Super (and siblings Bandmaster and Pro) are amazingly versatile tone machines that can go from complex clean to near-Marshall crunchiness. Mark Baier was amongst the first on the cloning bandwagon --- my Vicky was built in 1996 by Mark, back when he used to build 'em all himself.

You can hear this combination for yourself at my band's website: http://theshotgunbreak.com/. All guitar tracks are done with this very combo, with minimal added effects.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:16 pm

Blues Junior, Laney TT50 and a Vox AC30 CCII.

ASAT with Junior

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:25 pm

sirmyghin wrote:
zambly wrote:I use an Orange AD30 single channel, with an Asat Special: great combo! awesome with fuzz or overdrive...

I freaking love that amp, I demod the special before I bought one on one of them.

that's truely great... with the bridge pick-up it's a harmonic explosion :-)

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:47 pm

My favorite is my Fender Twin Reverb that I use for gigs where I can crank it a little, for smaller venues I use a Fender Deluxe. There are many great amps out there, I personally prefer tube amps over solid state.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:17 pm

I use a 1995 tweed Blues Junior re-tubed with JJ Tesla tubes. The darker sound of the old Blues Juniors goes great with the natural brightness of G&L instruments. But after demoing a Laney Lionheart 5 watter in a shop recently I wouldn't mind if someone stole the Blues Jnr.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:05 am

Philby wrote: The darker sound of the old Blues Juniors goes great with the natural brightness of G&L instruments.

that's the same reason because I like the Orange AD30, it has a lot of bottom end. that said, the asat special has some bottom end too...

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:28 pm

I use one of my five Mesa Boogies.

DC-3 112 V30 combo, usually with a matching Mesa 112 Theile cab underneath
Mark III 112 EVM Simul-Class Combo, usually with a matching Mesa 112 Theile cab underneath
Mark !V 112 EVM Simul-Class Combo, usually with a matching Mesa 112 Theile cab underneath
Maverick 212 V30 combo, Usually with a 212 V30 Horizontal Recto cab underneath
Mark III 200-watt Coliseum head with Mesa 412 C90/EVM Half-Back cab

The one thing I can honestly say about the Boogies, every guitar I've ever plugged into a Boogie sounds great. I gig with all of these amps. The DC-3 is a favorite for jams and practice, when I want something smaller and lighter; the Mark III half-stack is used when I want crushing power; and the others for everything in between.

One tip with G&L guitars with MFD pickups--use a really high quality tube in the V1 preamp socket--these pickups demand the very best. You may need to experiment to find the brand that sounds the best. I like the Groove Tubes GT 12AX7-M, but they are hard to get.

Bill

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:18 pm

I've got a Marshall JVM 205H (2-channel, 50W head) that I play through a home-made 2x12 cab (greenbacks). I also have a little single-ended amp someone built for me...originally as his version of a 15W Plexi, but I totally redid the preamp section to Fender Blackface specs and beefed up the power section with a 6550 for more volume...it's a very clean amp, but takes pedals great. It's in a 1x12 combo cab I built with a Weber 12F150. Both amps work really well with my Legacy.

Several years ago I had an Ampeg Reverberocket 112 combo...so all you guys who listed your Ampegs are making me feel nostalgic! They'd be a great match for a G&L!

Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:02 pm

I've got a lineup of silver faced Fenders. The smallest is a Champ. Two Prncetone Reverbs, A Deluxe Reverb and my favorite amp of all time is a custom built Silver Face Fender Bandmaster Reverb combo with 2 Jensen Ceramic 10's. For backup bring a 1967 Bandmaster head with me.

The Bandmaster Reverb at 40 watts is in the right power curve for playing in a band. I can play it clean and be loud enough to lay some very funky rhythm lines. I can turn up a bit and get the very cool compression that you get with 6L6 tube.

All of my G & L's sound good through it.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:34 pm

I was using a newer Fender Pro Reverb with a single 12 but I now use the Twin Reverb custom 15. I play clean all the time and it is a clean amp. The Pro Reverb has a dirty channel but I have never really used it.-- Darwin

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:54 pm

I play through a Jet City JCA20 and I love the tones I get, I'm hoping to be able to get a nice fender tube amp sometime soon though

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Love how my ASAT special sounds through my Mark V, lower output pickups than I am used to, but I just use the solo boost to balance that and drive it on.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:19 pm

I've been playing mine thru Spot's '74 Music Man 4x10 combo.
It has alnico spkrs and is the model with the preamp tube.
Using either my early 80's ProCo Rat box or an original issue (black box) Marshall The Guv'nor pedal. Tasty tones abound.

Cheers,

Kf

Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:00 am

Fender Blues Junior. No mods.

Anyone in the UK here who knows someone reliable who can do some BillM mods on my Blues Junior?

http://billmaudio.com/wp/

Thanks.

Bill

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:00 am

I have three favorites but the one that has been the most surprising , and biggest bang for the buck, is a Peavey Delta Blues 15. I can run an S500, 25th Anni, G200 and they all sound great. Been using it as much as my Fuchs and the built in overdrive has got a really nice range. They're a very under appreciated amp....

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:14 am

I run my S-500 (and my Steinberger GM4T) through a Boss ME-70 floor processor into a Rockman XP100 which drives a custom built (by me) 2x12 stereo cabinet loaded with two Fane Classic 12/70s. The Rockman is a stereo amp, and with this set-up I get a nice wide sonic field.

That said, I've got really bad GAS for a USA G&L Comanche and going back to all-tube type amps, preferably two of them so I can continue to run a stereo set-up. I'm considering tube amps from Traynor, PRS, Egnater and Rivera to name a few. If money were no object I'd grab two Rivera Venus 6's, or two PRS "30"s or Sweet 16's. But the USA Comanche will almost certainly come before the change of amps. :thumbup:

Stephen......in beautiful NE Minnesota!

Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Dr. Z Monza and MAZ 18 Jr. NR.

I think the best tone I have ever had in my life is the ASAT Special or SC-2 through the Monza. Just a darned dirty tone. Cleans up and plays nice when I need it too. The MFDs are amazing pickups.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm usin' a Tribute L2500 through a Hartke Kickback 15! Perfect punch!

Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:01 am

All of em...
So far I've played mine through, a mesa subway rocket and Single Rec, fender Deluxe Reverb RI, Blues deluxe, Hot Rod deluxe, blackface Pro Reverb, Super Reverb and 65 twin RI and silver face (twin and Super) models and a Twin II, traynor YBA-1, D'lite 44 ODS (dumble clone), Marshall JTM60, JCM 800, and Plexi RI, Rivera KHR100 and Quiana (my quiana is best), Peavey delta blues, 5150/6505 (all models) and my old JSX. Victoria, Vistalux, Bogner Shiva and Ecstasy. Epiphone Valve Jr head and cab, Carvin xv112 And a Webb.. Most of them for many, many hours. Maybe an actual Dumble can't remember for sure...

It would be easier to ask what amps have
you played your G&L through that you didn't like.
answer would be the same amp I didn't like anything else through

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:18 pm

I have several Fenders, a Dr Z, Fuchs ODS30, AST, & a Chicago Blues Box. My fave tones are thru my Fender Deluxe Reverb & my CCB.... I set 'em pretty clean & with a touch of reverb. It don't get no sweeter than that for the tones I love. Sometimes I use a little delay or overdrive with pedals, but those 2 amps bring out the sweet spots in my G-200, Skyhawks, ASATs, Legacys, Bluesboy, SC2, SC3, & Comanche.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 pm

I have a fleet (small fleet) of silverface fenders. I have been mainly playing Deluxe Reverb, and I love the sound. I am using Ted Weber speakers, and I love them, but there are lot's of good speakers out there. I am fooling around now using 2 deluxe reverbs in stereo. Has real potential, but I don't have it quite dialed in yet.

Boogie Bill mentioned tubes, I find that the tube for the first preamp gain stage is critical for high gain guitars and the Deluxe.

I would like to have a super reverb. I would also like to do an Orange project, I very nearly put an AD30 on the card. I rarely regret NOT buying things, but I kinda with wish I had pulled the trigger on that. So many projects, so little time, so little money. lol

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:53 pm

I now use a '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue and I find it to be magic for country. I also have my back up, a red knob Super 210 and it sounds good through that as well. The little amp in Grun's I tried it in was what made me buy it. I thought if it sound OK in that thing, it would sound great just about anywhere

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:58 am

spgl wrote:A 66 Vibrolux reverb and a 66 deluxe reverb. I also have a 61 Silvertone 1472. Great sounds from clean to crunchy.

Wow. Pre-CBS stuff, I am totally jealous. Do you gig these bad boys?

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:34 pm

I use my Hooligan .30.30 It is a hand built amp (by me) based a bit on a Tweed Bandmaster.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:51 pm

I run my guitars first through an original '61 Fender Reverb tank, then it varies... at home I use a small 1965 National Westwood, SE 6V6 with a staccato tremelo (no depth control, only speed) and 2 Jensen 8 inch AlNiCo speakers. Gigging I'll usually use an original '61 brown Vibrolux with a single Jensen C12N. Jamming with my loud band I'll use the Vibrolux and parallel a '68 Super Reverb to give me more bottom end and clean headroom... we play LOUD.

All 12AX7s in everything are vintage Mullards, the Vibrolux has RCA blackplate 6L6s, the Super Reverb has Philips 7581As, but I may change those out one of these days.

These rigs sound fantastic with my vintage Strat and my '86 F-100 hardtail. I recently got a 92 S-500, jury's still out on if that'll be a keeper. I also have an early Legacy with Duncan pickups and I'll be moving that along pretty soon. I find the Duncans to be too thin and low output, very noticeably so even compared to the original '63 pups in my old Strat. I'd been looking for a good Legacy to gig with in place of my Strat but haven't yet found one. I did just pick up a '96 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, bone stock, and I've got to say that I am very impressed. I expected it to be mediocre, but it may well be exactly what I was looking for. It plays great, it sounds surprisingly fantastic considering it has the regular 'ole pickups. I'd still prefer a G&L, but this guitar may put off my search for a while.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:15 am

Boogie Mark IIB. EVM 12" speaker. Heavy, but I love this amp:

But I don't have a G&L, yet (choosing my ASAT Classic color as I type) (Orange/Butterscotch/Sunburst are in the mix). Very psyched. Works like a charm with my other axes, though. Strat, Les Paul, Silhouette.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Main amps used are a 5 watt Dr. Z mini z with one 12" speaker in external cabinet & a 30 watt Marshall 3203 usually used with two 12" speakers.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:50 am

and mine is a Blues Jr no mods (an 18 months old little girl live in the house along with me and my wife, plus, I don't gig at the time so, 15 watts fit the bill...)
I'd like to have, some of these days, a deluxe reverb reissue.

I run a barber small fry into it with my legacy (no more) special, and that's pretty nice.