SB-2 - questions about tone

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Okay guys, I'm breaking away from my love affair with the couch for this one.

Two weeks ago I played my first gig on bass with the new band. I had some friends in the crowd and after the first set I went and asked a guitar buddy how things were going. He had favorable comments but said the bass sounded "boomy". I didn't have time to ask what he meant. He was seated at the bar which ran down the side of the joint, with him at the far end. My rig was maybe five feet from the bar shooting straight down the line. I used my SB-2 for that set, so I figured a switch to the Pedulla (single soapbar Bartolini, active) would help some. I assumed by boomy he meant too much midrange so the mid-cut switch was used on the Pedulla. I like it that way too, but I think it cuts through better with the mids left intact. I got a thumbs up from him during the set so I assumed that it was better and played it through the 2nd and 3rd sets. So later the week after I emailed and asked what he meant by boomy, and all I got was that it sounded fine after I switched basses. WTH?

Now I always liked the SB-2 and its a joy to play, but I find that while there's plenty of tones in it, I always like the way the active basses sound because I can cut some of the mids. Are there any mods out there short of putting in a preamp, that might get me something a little more usable for what I like? I've thought of trying two dual shaft pots and running a Vol/Tone for each pickup. Any other ideas?

Here's a short vid clip while using the Pedulla.

[youtube]bp2X4oS8FV4[/youtube]

Re: SB-2 - questions about tone

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:26 pm

G&Ls have never been short on bottom, but they also have that midrange bite that'll chew up a couple rows. The SB-2 certainly meets that.

Adding a tone control is a common mod to the SB-2, but it's the same as the tone control on a Fender Jazz - treble cut.

I think I'd have you look at your settings, both bass & amp. On the bass, neck volume at about 80% and bring the bridge in to add some trebly presence. Depending on your strings, this should get you in the ballpark. At the amp, set your EQ basically flat with maybe a touch of mid scoop. Preamp gain to suit your tonal taste (depends on the amp) and master to whatever fires your rocket.

Ken...