Tales to Tell & Questions that need Answering!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm the lead guitarist of a modern country band. We also do a few classic rock and folk songs. Over the last 3-4 years I've been using an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. I kinda had a feeling that this guitar was sucky, so I took it to a good friend of mine who builds guitars and had him play it. He said "It sounds like there is a pillow on top of it" he also checked the "guts" and said it was cheaply made. I also took it down to a shop and compared to a Mexican made Fender Tele wich sounded a TON better AND it was a lot less $. Sooo for the longest time now, I was aiming on buying a Fender American Deluxe Tele Ash... but am now going w/ G&L (seeing as how they hand make them... am I right?) + People 'round here keeps saying "G&L is the new Fender"

All I know is that I need a good well-rounded guitar that can do anything from Led Zep/Taylor Swift/Patsy Cline/Carrie Underwood/Lynyrd Skynyrd/Keith Urban/Brad Paisley/Elvis/Jason Aldean/Miranda Lambert/Pat Benetar/Beatles/ etc etc... I played a Classic S down at a shop not too long ago, and I really liked the 5-way switch idea! So I'm pretty well settled on a Classic S at the moment. (but I'd like to know if an entirely different guitar is better for my sitiuation!) Also, I have NO idea on the pickups... If anybody can give me ANY advice on ANYTHING, I'd appreciate it very much!!! (and if it helps any, I play through a Fender Deluxe Blues Reissue, and my pedal board is a Carl Martin Quattro.) :greet:
Last edited by IrritatedViking on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tales to Tell & Questions that need Answering!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:53 pm

Can't help on pickups, I decided on a ASAT special myself, to do country and old rock. I could get it twanging, or grit it up.

I know what you mean about 'the new fender' and look at it more as "has Leo stayed with Fender" that is where it would have gone. I like the necks much more, and being able to get flatter radii is a huge + for me.

Bluesboys can do twang and some sweet warm neck, the mid position gets twang and warmth, it is interesting and very nice.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:09 pm

thanks for the reply sirmyghin! I know what u mean about the necks! :) One thing that I'm trying to stay away from is too much twang. That's one thing that kept me from buying a Fender Tele. I don't wanna sound like Brad Paisley all the time haha! But the Classic S I played at the shop had a nice ballance. (of course this is the only G&L I've heared b4 though...)

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:12 pm

IrritatedViking wrote:thanks for the reply sirmyghin! I know what u mean about the necks! :) One thing that I'm trying to stay away from is too much twang. That's one thing that kept me from buying a Fender Tele. I don't wanna sound like Brad Paisley all the time haha! But the Classic S I played at the shop had a nice ballance. (of course this is the only G&L I've heared b4 though...)

See I am buying it for a country guitar. I WISH I could play like Paisley :D (prime motivation for learning to hybrid pick, I am a progger otherwise). The Classic S would be twangier than the Special I would think. Special can get right nasty. Proguitarshop.com has some pretty good sound demos from most G&L types. I like bridge twang, but the neck on the special is plenty warm and big.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:20 pm

Ohh okay! Dang see I can only buy one guitar right now, sorry for my pickiness... but same here! Although I'm workin' on it! I'll definitely give the Special a listening to! Thanks for the tip on that website!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:33 pm

No problem, we all like different things. Heck we probably all think something different is twang/warm/harsh.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:46 pm

Here's what I think is a good representation of the large rectangular G&L MFD pickup in the bridge position -- the kind of pup in the Special but slightly overwound

http://negation.hoster905.com/negations ... st&p=24895

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Yeah, and you're going to want to try a Z-3; and a ASAT Classic, perhaps in the semi-hollow versions. Then there's the Custom Classic, and the ASAT Deluxe. The Deluxe features splittable humbuckers, and has a thicker tone.

Best advice I can give: plan on at least one of each (and two of some)!!!!

Bill

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:43 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:Yeah, and you're going to want to try a Z-3; and a ASAT Classic, perhaps in the semi-hollow versions. Then there's the Custom Classic, and the ASAT Deluxe. The Deluxe features splittable humbuckers, and has a thicker tone.

Best advice I can give: plan on at least one of each (and two of some)!!!!

Bill

Alrighty! I really do like the ASAT Classic's sound... but isn't a Classic S just like a Classic with an added pickup in the middle? And how does a semi-hollow effect the sound? The Deluxe looks pretty sweet! Can it still have a bit of country twang when I need it? Thank u, Bill! :thumbup:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:51 pm

ieso wrote:Here's what I think is a good representation of the large rectangular G&L MFD pickup in the bridge position -- the kind of pup in the Special but slightly overwound

Wooow! That sounded really sweet...! So the Special's bridge has a pickup slightly close to that one? What kinda effects were on that? I thought I heared some kind of delay and reverb? Thank u ieso!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:19 pm

IrritatedViking wrote:
ieso wrote:Here's what I think is a good representation of the large rectangular G&L MFD pickup in the bridge position -- the kind of pup in the Special but slightly overwound

Wooow! That sounded really sweet...! So the Special's bridge has a pickup slightly close to that one? What kinda effects were on that? I thought I heared some kind of delay and reverb? Thank u ieso!

The Special's bridge pickup is not quite as hot and will sound somewhat sweeter than this. There's some compression and I made that file for a friend who wanted to hear the EP Booster, so you'll hear that off and on, literally -- and, yeah, I had a delay pedal (I think that was 300 ms)

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:25 am

ieso wrote:
IrritatedViking wrote:

The Special's bridge pickup is not quite as hot and will sound somewhat sweeter than this. There's some compression and I made that file for a friend who wanted to hear the EP Booster, so you'll hear that off and on, literally -- and, yeah, I had a delay pedal (I think that was 300 ms)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that with me ieso! I listened to that thing 3 times already lol... couldn't help it though! Sounded amazing! :greet: So it's an 'extra fat' pickup then???

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:34 am

IrritatedViking wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that with me ieso! I listened to that thing 3 times already lol... couldn't help it though! Sounded amazing! :greet: So it's an 'extra fat' pickup then???

Kind of , sort of P90 range but with more everything else, not just overly warm or so. FAT w/o being too dark.

Nice Demo Ieso.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:38 pm

glad to be of help.