What to do (With my Rampage)?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:45 pm

So a few years back I bought a 1985 Rampage (Red Color). I love the tone of it but I just can't get it to stay in tune and it's such a pain to set up to begin with I pretty much stopped using it. It has the rather crappy string lock above the nut (like 2 sheets of sheet metal or something). When I finally manage to get it in tune it just won't stay there and the tuners eventually have no room and I have to start over. I'm not going to lie, I have not spent a lot of time trying to get it to work but I just get too frustrated. Mulling my options at this point:

Option 1: Sell it

Option 2: Try to get it set up correctly without mods.

Option 3: Modify the heck out of it. New string lock, Floyd Rose or other Vibrato, maybe even some new pickups although I like the tone as is.

Just wondering if anybody else has had the same issue and what you did about it.

Re: What to do (With my Rampage)?

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:59 am

Hey Moss,

To bad to hear about your problems. I was wondering whether the strings get stretched enough before you clamp them at the head stock. In many cases when string are 'fresh' they will go out of tune. Stretching them by pulling them gently upward along the complete length of the string might do the job for you.

Hope this helps,
Jos

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:17 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Hey Moss,

To bad to hear about your problems. I was wondering whether the strings get stretched enough before you clamp them at the head stock. In many cases when string are 'fresh' they will go out of tune. Stretching them by pulling them gently upward along the complete length of the string might do the job for you.

Hope this helps,
Jos

When I change strings on a double locked, I stretch em (usually not to close to the bridge though ,as I have ruined strings before doing that, pulled it out, widing gone). After stretching I play a song or 2 , work the bar, stretch some more. Then I let it sit overnight, pick it up the next day, play a tune, before I lock em down for good. Make sure everything is stretched and settled really nice.

Can we get a pick of this locking nut?

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:54 pm

I've had locking trem units that didn't stay in tune and regular trems that DID, and everywhere in between. A friend of mine is a luthier and sent me a video recently on how to string a guitar that eliminates a LOT of problems. Show the guys here your setup and maybe it's an easy fix.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Really it feels like the bridge tuners are kind of loose and wobbly so I don't see how they would hold very well anyways. Don't know if they got stripped at some point or what. I hate to modify this guitar but that is where I am leaning. Thanks for the help and suggestions so far, I will see if I can get a picture taken.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Ugh, locking vibrato systems....

I found that the best way to use them is to play it for a while without the clamp at the nut to let the strings settle in, then and ONLY then should you bother clamping it back up. You might want to take it to a good tech to see if its not something more serious, like a loose truss rod or something, just to be on the safe side.

FWIW, I have a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge and its been under the bed for the best part of 10 years, only coming out when someone wants to see it. I got sick of the damn bridge. Now I stick to fixed bridges as they're much less hassle!