Unknown part need help identifying

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Ok I know nothing about guitars so this would sound like a bad question
On the back ASAT classic, on the opposite side of the bridge is 6 holes in side are these things that hold the sting or similar on that end
I need to know what that is because Ive lost one and possibly somewhere i can buy a replacement online or in manhattan
thanx for any answers

Re: Unknown part need help identifying

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:19 am

I trust believe that you talk about a contraption similar to this:
This would be the string ferrule block.

Hope this helps.

- Jos

Edit: fix image link after album was lost.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:44 am

yes that thing thanks now im going search around to see if i can get a replacement for it
but does string ferrule block refer to the whole thing or the6 individual pieces of metal in side it?

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:24 am

Jos,
Do you know the company name that sells the metal replacement ferrule blocks?

I mentioned them to sirmyghin but couldn't remember the source.

edit: Found it, or rather them:

http://www.taipantone.com/pages/ToneBar.html

and

http://www.delisleguitar.com/index.php/de-lisle-standard#FERRULEBLOCK

thanks just the same,

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:05 pm

flare414 wrote:... but does string ferrule block refer to the whole thing or the6 individual pieces of metal in side it?

The 'string ferrule block' refers to the whole thing. G&L uses this block like structure with a single rout in the back of the body. Elwood's post above mentions Taipan Tone. They sell a direct (metal) replacement. You can of course also go for the DeLisle ;) Where to get the OEM part, or who produces them, is unknown to me. The G&L Online store does not list any such item.

Other Tele style guitars just have 6 holes drilled through the body and have single ferrules in them. Stewart-MacDonald sells single ferrules, but I'm pretty sure they will not fit your guitar, assuming that you also have a ferrule block.

I'm still somewhat confused about what part you lost. It seems improbable to me that you would have lost the whole block because that can only mean that the guitar had no strings at the time. So just to make sure, you are not referring to the string ball ends are you? That is easily solved by a string change. A picture would help.
- Jos

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:07 pm

The thing I'm missing is the empty hole thanks for the help again Image

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:20 am

Not sure I follow. You just put a string down that hole, good to go.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Not sure I follow. You just put a string down that hole, good to go.

+1 To me it looks like you're missing nothing. Set of fresh strings and voila.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Then what is that metal thing the other stings are looped around of
or if that metal thing somes with the sting what kind of sting is it

Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:00 pm

it is the ball end of a string, usually one end is straight, and the other end is like that.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:14 pm

In other words, G&L didn't make a 5-string guitar, aside from basses, which yours is not. Heck, depending on what you plan on doing with the guitar, you could just put on the one string you're missing, which I'm pretty sure is your high "E" string. You could probably take it into any guitar shop and they'll string 'er up for you, either with a full set or just the missing string. I'm taking for granted that the rest of the guitar is intact. Good luck. Trans. blue ASAT Classic's are nice lookers.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:59 pm

FYI, there's one for sale on ebay now.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks for explaining sir
seems like my question really was a bad one
btw this is the semi hollow classic sadly it got a tiny chip on the side :(

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:02 pm

flare414 wrote:btw this is the semi hollow classic sadly it got a tiny chip on the side :(

Wouldn't worry about that, adds mojo.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Flare 414, there's no such thing as a bad question here, you are obviously new to guitars and have just learned about strings. Good luck with your G&L.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:26 am

DOGGONE wrote:Flare 414, there's no such thing as a bad question here, you are obviously new to guitars and have just learned about strings. Good luck with your G&L.

Folks. A very sensitive set of responses. Well done. In some of the guitar forums I visit on a regular basis, a question like that would have been met with derision and ridicule. I'm impressed by all the supportive responses you've provided to Flare414. I'm glad to see the 'spirit' of Leo lives on here.

Flare414. Welcome here. I hope you stop by regularly. I think MrRoundel's response below will help you, but eventually you will need to figure out how to change the strings for yourself. Get someone to show you how. Or, try here: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-003-ChangeStringsElectric.php I subscribe to this guy's Forum and I find a lot of helpful stuff in there. Try it. It's all for free. It ain't hard. Really straightforward and changing strings yourself will save you money. You can change the whole set or just individual strings. Might be your first option this time around. Just replace the missing string there. Plus, you get to experiment with different brands until you find ones that suit your taste. I like the D'Addario strings for my G&Ls.

Enjoy your ASAT Classic. Post some pics of all of it.

Bill