Is this a Comanche Studio VI???

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Hey G&L-ers...

Someone wants to sell me this guitar. They say it's a Comanche Studio VI. But is it a 2007 reissue? If so, something doesn't make sense. G&L site says the Tobacco Sunburst has a *rosewood* fretboard and a *pearl* pick guard. This one seems mismatched. The serial # on the headstock is CLF43273. What exactly is this. They want $1,100 with Tortex case. Can someone help?

Re: Is this a Comanche Studio VI???

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:37 pm

...don't know if the image posted properly. hope this link works...drumtarman

http://cid-d9743cd0e1c47df1.skydrive.li ... haringLink

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:23 pm

No can see the first link, and the first link takes to a page that wants to load something from MicroSoft. That ain't gonna happen.

edg

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:22 pm

guitar_ed

thanks for your response. i am both a mac and a pc user and i think i understand your concern. however, don't know how to upload a pic to this forum since there doesn't seem to be an option to load from my hard drive. suggestions?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:03 pm

okay. got it posted

<-----
<-----

what do you think? it's in dead mint condition. what do i have here (see previous post for more info)

any help appreciated!!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:20 am

I'm assuming your avatar is it?
That is a Comamche Studio VI reissue you have there. One of fifty built. The difference in the fretboard material is not an issue. They come either way.
$1100 is a good price for mint.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:37 am

Thanks HLG...Yeah, it's the avatar. So is one of the 2007 reissue. What did they sell for new on the street? And, to your knowledge, were there any known issues with the reissue series?

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:11 am

drumtarman wrote:Thanks HLG...Yeah, it's the avatar. So is one of the 2007 reissue. What did they sell for new on the street? And, to your knowledge, were there any known issues with the reissue series?

It is likely to be from the first run of the Custom Creations Special Build. I am not aware of any addiitional runs, but as a Special Build, there can future runs.
Posting of new G&L instrument prices is not allowed. Please review the G&LDP Guidelines.
I am not aware of any issues with the Comanche Studio VI.

Hope this helps.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:13 am

drumtarman wrote:guitar_ed

thanks for your response. i am both a mac and a pc user and i think i understand your concern. however, don't know how to upload a pic to this forum since there doesn't seem to be an option to load from my hard drive. suggestions?

See the section on Posting Photos in the G&LDP Guidelines.

Hope this helps.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:45 am

Posting of new G&L instrument prices is not allowed. Please review the G&LDP Guidelines.

sorry about that. will be aware and comply going forward. thanks for your input. if i could draw on your expertise for a couple more questions...
1. the serial number is CLF43272 on the headstock. what does that tell me about the instrument?
2. would the guitar I am looking at (see avatar) fall in the 2007 one hundred reissue as posted on the G & L site (as follows)?
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/US ... /index.asp

just want to kow as much as i can before making a purchase decision on the Comanche VI.

thanks for your patience and input. looking forward to participating in the forum.

~drumtarman

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:22 pm

drumtarman wrote:1. the serial number is CLF43272 on the headstock. what does that tell me about the instrument?

No more than a rough indication of when the guitar was produced.

drumtarman wrote:2. would the guitar I am looking at (see avatar) fall in the 2007 one hundred reissue as posted on the G & L site (as follows)?

I noticed that you registered this guitar in the Comanche Studio IV section already (kudos!). You might have noticed that your serial number is in the general ballpark of the other registered instruments. Hence, I'll have to agree with HlG that in all likelihood you're looking at one of the 50 Tobacco Sunburst Comanche Studio IV instruments produced by the CCD in 2007.

You should ask the seller if there is any paperwork with the guitar. The 2007 series came with a Silver Certificate of Authenticity which would unequivocally settle the issue. At least it seems to come with the original Tolex case.

- Jos

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:21 pm

FWIW, I have one of these (with rosewood board and pearl pickguard per spec) and it's a fabulous guitar! The only issue I've had was some intermittent grounding/volume drop. Took it to the dealer, and turned out that a lug or wire on the volume pot made contact with one of the tone pot's wires; a simple, free fix under warranty. Two years later, the tone pot is starting to do a similar thing on occasion, so I may have to take a peek and rotate the pot out of harms' way. Pretty minor in my book.

As for the maple neck on the one you're looking at: Either it came that way from the factory, or someone swapped necks. Might as well ask the seller. Same for the pickguard. Guitar Adoptions had two this year that were clear red with maple boards, so there are other exceptions to the original build specs.... As for the serial, mine starts with 47, and any that I've seen online have been in that range or higher [EXCEPT for the blue one that came up on eBay a couple years ago and might be a prototype that is also registered (there's a thread about it on the old board)]. To my mind, a difference of 3 to 4 thousand in the serial #s makes it more likely a neck swap from an earlier Comanche, or a prototype. Ask the seller. My 0.02. Cheers!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:49 pm

thanks everyone...really appreciate your input...very helpful.

i've had the guitar out for a "test drive" since last wednesday and, i got to tell you (while all the switches are a bit much) i love the way this axe performs!!
i'm thinking the $1,100 would be money well spent.
looks like i'm adding my first G & L to the "harem".

again, thanks all...see you in the forum

*j*

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:40 pm

D'oh! It just hit me that the pup covers are black instead of white! White was stock for both the tobacco burst and the honeyburst. Gotta say though that I love that look on a Comanche (or an S-500... :mrgreen: ), especially if it has a rosewood board. The black Z-pups on a white guard hearkens to some of the original Comanche VIs---for example, that beautiful red burst that Greg Gagliano has on his website! :luv: Glad to hear you're happy with it!! Great score!