4 way and solo switches?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:22 am

Anyone installed these on their ASATs? Looking for some feedback on the 4 way switch.

Waiting (im)patiently for my ASAT to arrive, I have been considering what mods it will 'need' I figure a 4 way switch might be nice, for an extra pickup combo. A solo switch/lead switch is another Idea I am tinkering with. For those unfamiliar, it is a switch to remove the volume pot from the circuit (and tone too if you want, but I think I will keep the tone in the circuit for a few reasons).

The reason I think I need a lead switch is I am used to playing bucker guitars. I control output level with both volume knobs and splitting pickups, to drive the amps differently. The ASAT is double single coil, so I feel the need to compensate for this by adding it. Can play say 2/3 volume, flip a switch full blast, flip again back at the exact same volume. No guess work.

So have you done these or any other interesting mods to your Tele? and what was the mileage?

For those who are going to berate me for mods, I will do a clean job don't worry, The control plate won't care about an extra hole.

Re: 4 way and solo switches?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:51 am

I haven't tried the 4 way , but I recall others here saying its a plus.

I've heard that replacing the plastic string end retainer on the back with a metal one is
an easy and affordable mod that is worthwhile.

I couldn't find the product with a quick search , maybe someone here can help with that.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks for the tip Elwood, Plastic eh? BOOOO!. Bad enough I had to get a pickguard (well did not have too, I could have downgraded to SA body and top on an ASAT special deluxe... for no price break) The Irony is that I wouldn't do mods like a solo switch without that control panel (well a lot more likely I would not) so it works out in the end.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Hey sirmyghin,

I'm an avid promoter of the 4-way switch and think it should be an option from the boys at G&l (hint hint :evilgrin: )

Here is what it will do - The 4 way lever switch gives you the extra setting of the Bridge + Neck parallel or in series.

Layman's terms it's this
4-way settings
Bridge
Bridge & Neck - in Parallel
Bridge + Neck - in series
Neck

I have put a 4-way in my ASAT and the ASAT Deluxe (which also added a switch so both hummers could be split, talk about options :banana: ) This gives yer pups a richer tone, the guitar more variety and basically puts more sound in your head. Go for it. If you don't like it switch it back, low cost investment with big return.

Oh yea, mods schmods, you have the technology you can re-build her!! Go for it, rock on. :clap:

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:46 am

sam wrote:
Oh yea, mods schmods, you have the technology you can re-build her!! Go for it, rock on. :clap:

The only thing I find ridiculous is I have this new guitar coming in, and I have a list of stuff I need to do to it once it gets here. To add to the list are strap locks(dunlop, all my other axes have them and I don't like the open Fender style strap buttons at all), and a new pickguard (what I do there will still remain unknown until I see the grain, if the grain is really nice I will go clear, otherwise I have a neat idea). And heck if things are real rough with the frets, I will need to get it refretted in Stainless... Taking up fretwork soon to hopefully not have to go that route through good maintenance.

In the end, I am just picking up making my custom axe where G&L left off I guess.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:00 am

I found the links,
(from this thread... http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=991 )

http://www.taipantone.com/pages/ToneBar.html

and

http://www.delisleguitar.com/index.php/de-lisle-standard#FERRULEBLOCK

...apparently there is a lip on the taipantone block that might make it preferable to the delisle.
I might have misspoke before about the originals being plastic ( sorry G&L), I've read that they are zinc alloy.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Oh, I thought you were talking about string trees. I orderred an ASAT special not classic, looking at them I thought they were not string through body ((Would prefer they were but I am not overly particular as long as it works).